The floods.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Tadcaster football ground and club got flooded out

NoCarpPlease

Site Supporter
Isn’t the point that the PM did visits , both matlock and Yorkshire ... in the run up to an election.

now with far More people and properties affected, he is absent.

speaks volumes really.
Charles was in South Wales toda.

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
Isn’t the point that the PM did visits , both matlock and Yorkshire ... in the run up to an election.

now with far More people and properties affected, he is absent.

speaks volumes really.
Charles was in South Wales toda.

and He who's name must not be mentioned visited the affected areas,

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
I doubt very much that they were

so there were probably other reasons that he visited and im also sure it wasnt to gather votes

Wise Owl

Account Locked
I doubt very much that they were

so there were probably other reasons that he visited and im also sure it wasnt to gather votes

Yeah yer probably right mate, he will do owt to try make him look Bothered, is it true Dianne Abbot visited the Swimming pool and commented on how clear the Flood water was ?

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
It's time they stopped build the flood defences and stretches that the rich live in because they stop the rivers naturally bursting there banks and spreading but instead push the water further down river.
Maver larfords was on the news last night going mad about it. Larfords is ruined. The 3 lakes and 1 river is now 1 big mass of water and the owner explained that around the perimeter of the fishery they had mesh so when the river did flood it would keep his fish in the fishery and the rivers fish in the river but because the foods were now deeper than the height of the fence the fish would just swim over the fence

Exactly mate, that's what i said when they started putting those sheet steel flood barriers up along the Severn...great idea and the next time the floods come they'll spend even more money putting more barriers up a bit further along...and it will keep going untill the rivers are closed in from source to sea!

Idont know why people get on to GOVT, for floods, they cant stop the RAIN

No but they could do something about the flooding!

All councils, the government, politicians, environmentalists, businesses, vegans and cylists, are constantly reminding us about global warming and sea levels rising.
So why build on low lying land and flood plains in the first place?

I can see the where theres a blame lawyers plugging this like mad in years to come .... "have you been sold property at sea level or on a flood plain?"

And that's what happens when MP's and big business start scratching each others backs... they ignore the damned good advice of people who actually know what they're talking about and go with the money!

And....I'll say it again. Where are the offers of help from abroad? Are we just suckers that keep digging deep when another country has a disaster.

Could it be that the countries we give aid to don't have the knowhow, machinery, network or resources we have and that's why we are able to deal with it ourselves while they have to hope someone helps them?

Instead of wasting money on Cycle lanes they should be Digging new Flood defences and Dredging rivers and Drains so water can get away, Cant big pipelines be put in place directing water into old Mines ?

The mines are all flooded mate, they were flooded within 10 years of the pumps being turned off, the ones from Cannock run under the chase and all the way to Stafford... they are all flooded out a "test hole" was drilled a couple of years ago and they hit water according to the report at the time it was worrying because it was at one of the high points of the mine and the surrounding areas are full of sandstone and salt (we have susidence all over Stafford from the salt mines) and the floodwaters in the mines are eroding it all....we are just waiting for the big sinkholes to start opening up!

I read somewhere that part of the problem was an EU ruling that rivers and watercourses could not be disturbed as it damaged valuable wildlife habitats. As a result dredging and bankside maintenance virtually ground to a halt in order to comply.

I'm not sure how valid this is as I haven't had the time to check it out but I'm sure a few might be able to.

Add on the development of properties on flood plains, past part alterations of rivers to speed the flow of water through, and you have a situation where vast amounts of water cannot flow down the rivers unrestricted, and when it bottlenecks it can only spread outwards as it backs up.

The real dredging stopped mostly in the late 80's when the old rivers authorities decided it was to expensive and they weren't getting any help from the government to cover the costs, of course we had the "straighten the rivers to get rid of the water quicker" attempts which just resulted in floods in areas that never used to flood because the water was able to pick up speed and get over the banking that had been built up from the dredging.

Then in the late 90's we had the creation of the EA, they were forced to adopt the EU water initive thing and that was it....floods galore and nothing that could be done about it, even the farmers who used to dredge the drainage ditches and gulleys were told to stop doing it....

Wise Owl

Account Locked
Oh come on if ya cant see he is Exploiting the Flood Crisis.

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
do the floods know they are being exploited ?

does that outraged cabinet minister know he is attempting to score political points with an article in the "Express" ?

does that cabinet minister care about those that are affected, did he get of his arse and go see or is he sat at home twiddling

crumpercatcher.

Site Supporter
The timing of a letter that turned up at work today made me think of this thread.

A well known house builder bought a field that belonged to a neighbour. The land is flat and sits on what was once flood plain. The house builder is complaining that the new houses have flooded and it’s our fault. Because the water is running down hill from our land into theirs.

During the building work and after the ditch that is on their land and is their responsibility had all sorts of rubbish dumped in it by the builders.

Then residents chucked their grass clippings, bits of tree, bush, broken wood etc over their back fences blocking the ditch even more. Now they are all shocked that the blocked ditch won’t drain the rainwater away and the houses built on low lying flood plain are flooding. :unsure:

crumpercatcher.

Site Supporter
Also on clearing waterways, local farmers, landowners and homeowners wanted a section of the river clearing by the EA to reduce flooding.

The EA refused saying it would cost them over £80k to carry out the work. Farmers got together and did a lot of the work plus hired a couple of contractors in to help them. Got the job done for just over £8k.

Wise Owl

Account Locked
The timing of a letter that turned up at work today made me think of this thread.

A well known house builder bought a field that belonged to a neighbour. The land is flat and sits on what was once flood plain. The house builder is complaining that the new houses have flooded and it’s our fault. Because the water is running down hill from our land into theirs.

During the building work and after the ditch that is on their land and is their responsibility had all sorts of rubbish dumped in it by the builders.

Then residents chucked their grass clippings, bits of tree, bush, broken wood etc over their back fences blocking the ditch even more. Now they are all shocked that the blocked ditch won’t drain the rainwater away and the houses built on low lying flood plain are flooding. :unsure:

Ah but does Jeremy Corbyn know that ?

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
Also on clearing waterways, local farmers, landowners and homeowners wanted a section of the river clearing by the EA to reduce flooding.

The EA refused saying it would cost them over £80k to carry out the work. Farmers got together and did a lot of the work plus hired a couple of contractors in to help them. Got the job done for just over £8k.

On the marsh, near all the dredging of the drains is carried out yearly by the farmers who own or rent the land, the slurry is then spread back over the adjacent fields to improve the soil, tis a common site to see a JCB back hoe at work

the EA only dredge the military canal as it is a historical monument and requires far more paperwork

G0zzer2

Site Supporter
Not sure what Boris should do, but I do think it's time people started using their brains and checking out stuff before signing to buy houses. Going into a local pub or shop, or just talking to people walking along the road can open your eyes to what the locals know but the vendors don't tell you!

It's not the first time I have posted, on various subjects, by saying that people should be responsible for their actions, and not blame everyone else for their problems.

Certainly councils have been at the very least incompetent in allowing dwellings on flood plains. But the public should realise that authorities of all kinds are quite capable of making huge mistakes but covering them up so they don't get publicity.