The floods.

squimp

Site Supporter
85,000 been built on flood planes in last 10 years.

And all against the advice of the EA.

For decades the EA has been asking for a statutory power of veto on any planning application in the flood plain; and has failed to achieve it. That is either a failure of the EA in not lobbying hard enough - or a failure of central government (of whatever colour) to take the flooding issue seriously. We have known for 20+ years that the weather is changing and our flood forecasting is now out of date (as in 1 in 100 year floods are now happening once every 25 years, for example).

This wet winter will almost certainly provide the wake-up call that this country needs. Pledging a couple of billion over 6 years to sort the National flooding issue is a joke. We need a root and branch review of what needs protecting (not just housing but also key facilities such as electricity sub-stations and water pumping stations) and how that can best be achieved. It will need a catchment management plan for each river so that the implications of one new flood defence scheme will be modelled across the entire catchment before it is built. Otherwise you just move the flood from A to B.

Furthermore we need a decent government sponsored insurance scheme so that those stuck with properties that flood on a regular basis can get some form of insurance protection at a sensible price. It is manifestly unfair to sell people new homes that flood regularly and cant be insured.

I feel lucky that I live in a house with no history of flooding.

dry nets

apprentice stormtrooper
Site Supporter
All the people interviewed onnews say the floods started and have got worse since they stopped cleaning the rivers.
Guy on radio said his house is flooded upto the first floor but he wouldn’t dream of moving. In summer months he says he’s living in the best place in England.

62tucker

Site Supporter
Here’s a idea. Instead of spending millions on flood defences if your house floods from overflowing river you get told your house is getting compulsory purchased and you get money for another house where it’s not going to flood.
So the rivers get there flood planes back. Job sorted.

Arfer Mo

Site Supporter
Alrewas Floods 2020-02-17 (3).jpg

Photo from where I live of the River Trent floods taken on 17th Feb. 120 new houses being built top right of picture. Permission was refused by the LA but it went to appeal and was signed off by the government.

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
And....I'll say it again. Where are the offers of help from abroad? Are we just suckers that keep digging deep when another country has a disaster.

nejohn

Site Supporter
There have been several landslides in the South Wales valleys over the weekend, all old mine spoil heaps, when the mines were in full production the spoil was tipped on top of the valley adding height to an already very steep Valley and we all know what happened in Aberfan due to this. When the mines closed the landscaping was not like other parts of the country where they levelled the spoil heaps ( or they did in Durham) they just re-profiled them and put a layer of top soil on then let nature takes it's course. If we get many more of these floods there is a real worry of a repeat of all those years ago...Kathy's parents live in the Rhondda and they told us they saw trees sliding down the mountain side behind their house at the weekend...not a great sign

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
There have been several landslides in the South Wales valleys over the weekend, all old mine spoil heaps, when the mines were in full production the spoil was tipped on top of the valley adding height to an already very steep Valley and we all know what happened in Aberfan due to this. When the mines closed the landscaping was not like other parts of the country where they levelled the spoil heaps ( or they did in Durham) they just re-profiled them and put a layer of top soil on then let nature takes it's course. If we get many more of these floods there is a real worry of a repeat of all those years ago...Kathy's parents live in the Rhondda and they told us they saw trees sliding down the mountain side behind their house at the weekend...not a great sign

That is a real worry mate, people will say that we couldn't have another Aberfan in this day and age, lets pray that they are right. Unfortunately I saw a lot of cowboys at work when the mines were being closed, filled and levelled so god alone knows what corners may have been cut.

62tucker

Site Supporter

There was a video of a landslide on the other day. Not massive but dangerous all the same

Wise Owl

Account Locked
Instead of wasting money on Cycle lanes they should be Digging new Flood defences and Dredging rivers and Drains so water can get away, Cant big pipelines be put in place directing water into old Mines ?

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
I read somewhere that part of the problem was an EU ruling that rivers and watercourses could not be disturbed as it damaged valuable wildlife habitats. As a result dredging and bankside maintenance virtually ground to a halt in order to comply.

I'm not sure how valid this is as I haven't had the time to check it out but I'm sure a few might be able to.

Add on the development of properties on flood plains, past part alterations of rivers to speed the flow of water through, and you have a situation where vast amounts of water cannot flow down the rivers unrestricted, and when it bottlenecks it can only spread outwards as it backs up.

Wise Owl

Account Locked
At Taddy they cleared 2 of the Bridge arches and now although the river is high it seems to be passing through without coming over the Flood bank.