The floods.

62tucker

Site Supporter
Now I sympathise with anyone who has been flooded. Been there but not off a river off drains not been able to cope after Thunder Thursday up the north east a few year ago.
Boris is now getting stick for not turning up at the flooded areas. Would you expect him to turn up at every flooded area. What can he do. Last time he turned up he just got shouted at. Not his fault.
Also just seen on sky news from York area 20% of new houses built since 2013 have been built on flood planes in that area.
Isn’t it time for new laws country wide for house to be built so many meters above the highest river readings.
Also no houses within 200 meters of a river. Loads of nice river walks etc green fields. Etc.
Also is this flood a “ National Disaster “ as some news outlets are saying.

TonyA

Site Supporter
If Boris turned up it would cause delays in working so no point , in my view. Builders like flood planes 'cos the're flat.

nejohn

Site Supporter
Just been out with the dogs along the canal, wimpy are in the process of building some very exclusive canal side houses near me.....they might now be having second thoughts as they are below the level of the canal embankment by about 4 feet every one of them is now under about 2 feet of water, luckily they are not quite finished so no one is living in them yet ...most of them do however have sold signs in the windows....wonder what the prospective new owners are thinking

me

It's time they stopped build the flood defences and stretches that the rich live in because they stop the rivers naturally bursting there banks and spreading but instead push the water further down river.
Maver larfords was on the news last night going mad about it. Larfords is ruined. The 3 lakes and 1 river is now 1 big mass of water and the owner explained that around the perimeter of the fishery they had mesh so when the river did flood it would keep his fish in the fishery and the rivers fish in the river but because the foods were now deeper than the height of the fence the fish would just swim over the fence

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
It's time they stopped build the flood defences and stretches that the rich live in because they stop the rivers naturally bursting there banks and spreading but instead push the water further down river.
Maver larfords was on the news last night going mad about it. Larfords is ruined. The 3 lakes and 1 river is now 1 big mass of water and the owner explained that around the perimeter of the fishery they had mesh so when the river did flood it would keep his fish in the fishery and the rivers fish in the river but because the foods were now deeper than the height of the fence the fish would just swim over the fence

its no longer "Maver" Larford

Phil was pushed out of running Maver a couple of years back,

felt proper sorry for him watching the footage on facebook, hes spent a lot of time and money on those ponds

160642fishing

Site Supporter
If Boris turned up it would cause delays in working so no point , in my view. Builders like flood planes 'cos the're flat.
There's a bit of a clue in the name,flood plains are there to collect excess water when rivers run high,we are surrounded by water and flood plains in the Fens and very rarely is there a problem.

tonerain

Site Supporter
If Boris turned up at a flood site he'd be accused of using resident's problems as a photo opportunity.
Can't win, can he?

crumpercatcher.

Site Supporter
Locally there are two plots of land that have been purchased by property developers. Only trouble is these plots flood to the time of + 3 feet every year or every few years. Because they are on the flood plain of two of the local rivers.

Sure as eggs is eggs houses will be built in these wholly unsuitable locations. Then there will be a big song and dance and clamour for “something to be done” cos they keep flooding.

3BDB0890-904A-449A-B34A-7EAED50BA0A3.jpeg

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
All councils, the government, politicians, environmentalists, businesses, vegans and cylists, are constantly reminding us about global warming and sea levels rising.
So why build on low lying land and flood plains in the first place?

I can see the where theres a blame lawyers plugging this like mad in years to come .... "have you been sold property at sea level or on a flood plain?"

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
It made me cringe when Boris came to our village and a local resident shouted ..... " Youve took your time Boris ". How rude and thoughtless. Do the lady think thats all Borris has to do in a day ? He politely asked what she wanted him to do about the situation which she ignored by walking off. Not a great advert for Yorkshire people that.