The Floatmakers Thread

acart8426

I want to make some pole floats with wire stems for use on rivers, so have some ideas of the type of thing I'm aiming for.

I've seen some ads from 'boutique' makers where they use what seems to be a very springy wire.

I've been doing some research and I've seen some references to nickle titanium 'flexi wire', seen it for sale, but it comes in 3m lengths and coiled.

Is there a trick to straightening it? Any other suggestions or ideas? (plan B would be to buy some bicycle wheel spokes).
Nitonel straightens itself , just check the operating temperature , buy it off Martin on ebay search pole float making materials or google Finesse floats

Griffo

Site Supporter
After a winter of playing with mi floats, I think I have come up with the perfect recipe for a self-loaded mugger, weighs half a gram so enough to cast about but it doesn't dive and it doesn't make a splash, designed for light bait like corn skin or a 4mm pellet. for fishing shallow up to 12". if you want to make your own then recipe is, the wire Mugger:

1647194256828.png

1647194297585.png

Would anybody be interested in the recipes of all my other pole floats, I know I enjoy making them for myself and its cheaper (once you have worked out your recipes) and over the last two years I must have buggered about with about 200 prototypes and modifications, that's a lot of waste and cost really, but once you get the right combo's it's just then assembly. Let me know if there would be any interest to me putting up the rest of my recipe's, I'm no master maker but they all go under at some point?

SS

FishyBeard

Having just returned from many years away from the sport decided to make my own floats where I can...I made a few floats a while ago, Waggler, Insert Waggler and a few dibbers. I actually enjoy the process. I'll be giving them a test as soon as I can.....just got to shot them up.
20220410_111903.jpg

PearTree

Calder Reborn....
Site Supporter
As it's probably about 40 years since I last made some peacock wagglers I thought it was time I made another batch. Old and new :

BCJQ1606[1].JPG

Hollow plastic inserts in the new versions, I hope @MarkW will approve. The originals have peacock inserts, and I'm still using the ones that haven't been lost or broken over the years.

SeanB

Site Supporter
They look really good, the hi viz tips certainly stand out more than the original ones,not that there is any thing wrong with those.

adriang

Site Supporter
As it's probably about 40 years since I last made some peacock wagglers I thought it was time I made another batch. Old and new :

BCJQ1606[1].JPG

Hollow plastic inserts in the new versions, I hope @MarkW will approve. The originals have peacock inserts, and I'm still using the ones that haven't been lost or broken over the years.
Nice floats, I restarting making them last year, although I've been using Norfolk reed this time around.
Whats with the yellow (float rubbers?) by the shot?

PearTree

Calder Reborn....
Site Supporter
Nice floats, I restarting making them last year, although I've been using Norfolk reed this time around.
Whats with the yellow (float rubbers?) by the shot?
I plumb up 'top and bottom' if I can as I find it is far more accurate. The yellow float rubbers just happened to be the right diameter for those floats.

stickfloatkev

stickfloatkev

BCJQ1606[1].JPG

fantastic mate. do you sell them?

Griffo

Site Supporter
Now expanded the range of my antenna wagglers from .7g up to 3.2g will have to start talking in BB’s again.

285C3C07-981E-48D3-94E3-906D985B3CA3.jpeg

E7584EED-C5AF-4F12-B2D7-45B9B94BD1C3.jpeg

Then just because my new venue is full of tench I wanted to try the overshotted lift method, so came up with the balsa tipped fiberglash shafted wagglers. I started off wanting some new whip wagglers and got obsessed with these, now still need to sort the whip wags out. Getting like the father in law more tinkering with kit than actually fishing with it.

Attachments

• B0AFE695-6674-4422-AA94-5CD26C0CF047.jpeg
    B0AFE695-6674-4422-AA94-5CD26C0CF047.jpeg
    482.9 KB · Views: 22

tromboneben

I bought a load of floats that have no indication of which leads to use. Is there a way to work out which weight to put on the line or is it trial and error?

Griffo

Site Supporter
I bought a load of floats that have no indication of which leads to use. Is there a way to work out which weight to put on the line or is it trial and error?
Going to have to try shotting then, what sort of floats wagglers, sticks or pole floats?

minkyandbear

Site Supporter
Looking for a white marker pen, as fine as possible say 0.25mm. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

PearTree

Calder Reborn....
Site Supporter
Looking for a white marker pen, as fine as possible say 0.25mm. Any recommendations would be appreciated.
I got a white Sakura Gelly Roll 10 pen from an art supplies shop in town. I use it for marking the shotting capacity on my floats. I put a couple of layers of clear varnish over it to stop it wearing off.

minkyandbear

Site Supporter
I got a white Sakura Gelly Roll 10 pen from an art supplies shop in town. I use it for marking the shotting capacity on my floats. I put a couple of layers of clear varnish over it to stop it wearing off.
Thank you and I'll have a look out for them.

Griffo

Site Supporter
Ok Still pursuing the perfect whip wagglers and I think I have now got as close as I’m going to get to being about spot on. But this time its by repurposing a float pattern made by Rizov. I have been buying these bodies for some time as float bodies in this shape and size are hard to find in the uk. At times these have cost me €0.50 and now €0.65 which is not a lot.

I simply cut the shaft to 30mm glue on a 35mm 1.7 mm tip and grind the bottom spring Eye off, no painting no sizing and they are a great little float. For anyone wanting a play at making your own without all the faffing this is a great way to produce some nice professional floats.

F7362D2F-99AE-4FEC-B1CC-14BCEE732444 (1).jpeg

banksy

Life Member
Site Supporter
I’m sure it’s been covered before, but does the colour of the body and stem of a float make a scrap of difference?
I make all my own floats, from wood, reed, quills and foam. I’ve left them the original colour - what can be more natural than a bit of reed or a bird quill? - but I have also painted them black, white, camo, and Billy Makin grey. Still not convinced that any one colour is best.
Any thoughts please?

Fugley-fisher

Fishing the stour dorset, most probably!
Site Supporter
The only thing I've noticed about the colour is how well the antena shows up if you've a light colour you can see the body under the water this makes it harder to spot a bite, especially cane top pole floats, why nearly all floats are black.