The Floatmakers Thread

buygoodtackle

You may find that the 3mm hollow has an internal diameter of only 1mm or even 0.8mm, so you may need to use a piece of fibre glass as a spigot to connect the two.

MarkW

Hello float makers, after a bit of advise I bought some N G loaded wagglers cracking floats casting is possibly the best I've used but he has put some mighty long 3mm hollow bristle on them which is fine for long range and when the fish is havin it big style but I was wondering if I cut the bristle say 10mm up and try and super glue a 1.5mm bristle in apart from maybe altering the fine tune shot, I just want a little more finesse, thoughts please. I know I should just build my own, but be honest I'm happy to butcher adapt someone else's work ;)
If you cut a hole in the base of the hollow bristle, reinforce the back of the bristle at that point with Araldite then cut off the top of the bristle so that water can flow within the bristle you retain the visibility of the 3mm but with the sensitivity of a much thinner bristle. I make many of my wagglers for stillwater this way.

Fugley-fisher

Site Supporter
@MarkW I've got a micro hand drill set would a .3mm hole in the base keep the structural integrity whilst allowing water to flow if cutting off the top, was also thinking of cutting them to 10mm then internal bore it out to 1.2mm and using some ready made bristles to plug the hole that way I can change the colour to suit the conditions. Thoughts please.

Fugley-fisher

Site Supporter
@Tinca Steve in a word yes, I was fishing at range the wind got up I had the float dotted down the float got swamped so had to show more bristle at that point the smaller fish were not pulling the float under and I had trouble reading it, some very unfortunate roach got deep hooked, the large 3mm bristle had to much buoyancy. If all the fish were a larger stamp and competing for bait it would not have been an issue, as I like the float pattern and loading my intension would be to have a selection some original some with modifications to suit conditions. I was wondering if what I proposed was feasible before I got stuck into a perfectly good float and made it a perfect disaster.

MarkW

@MarkW I've got a micro hand drill set would a .3mm hole in the base keep the structural integrity whilst allowing water to flow if cutting off the top, was also thinking of cutting them to 10mm then internal bore it out to 1.2mm and using some ready made bristles to plug the hole that way I can change the colour to suit the conditions. Thoughts please.
The tips I use are 3mm with a 2.5mm hole so the hole in the side is at least 2mm x 2,5 mm and cut with a scalpel. A hole of 0.3mm won't be big enough as the water neds to flow as freely as possible.