The Floatmakers Thread

commieboy257

Account Locked
when looking to purchase a handmade float, what would you expect to find in terms of finish etc from a £30 float compared to a £7 float?

stickfloatkev

stickfloatkev
I have just got hold of some really big (8 and 10 gram) balsa bodies to make some heavy Avon/bolo style floats.

im after some suggestions for stem material - I have 1.6mm wire but think I might need to step it up a bit ?

I found some brass rod - but that is too heavy.......

Any bright ideas please ?
ive made some big bolo floats like what you describe and used cane kebab skewers which i find are excellent and a great length for longer floats for deeper stretches of river

Griffo

Site Supporter
Well it’s all your fault!

bloody thread, so tried putting together my own pole floats, based on all the information and fabulous creations I though let’s have a go at assembling my own recipe’s, Addictive isn’t it?

Tinca Steve

Irregular member.
Site Supporter
I can tell you that if you wish to straighten out quill this can be done by heating the handle of a smooth handled stainless steel knife and gently pulling the quill back and forth across the handle. We do this to the pearly queens plumes on their bonnets to get the right shape.

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
when looking to purchase a handmade float, what would you expect to find in terms of finish etc from a £30 float compared to a £7 float?
To be honest I'd not use floats costing 30 quid for fear of chucking 30 quid up a tree... I use manky old hand painted and varnished quills or old floats for my day to day fishing... got a mugful of old quills to paint up and varnish... should see my days out

Griffo

Site Supporter
Ok so having blamed you lot for my now quite severe addiction of putting your own pole floats together I have just about made and used prototypes for most of my fishing. Learnt a lot but also found some very strange trends, a point .2,.3,.4g slim body with tip spring and shaft all work out to carry about .2,.3 and .4 yet pull together a float with a .5 body and it shots up at .6g. A rugby ball pretty much shots up at it’s given weight yet use a .2g ghoul and that will shot up at .12 and a .4 body at about .22g. I suppose what I ‘m saying is theres a point when buoyancy and weight stop being proportional if that makes sense dependent on body shape and as far as I can tell it’s then all guess work? Or am I missing something.

Griffo

Site Supporter
Its getting a bit addictive now 😂

Attachments

• C48718FA-A648-410A-8E84-100E965191CB.jpeg
    C48718FA-A648-410A-8E84-100E965191CB.jpeg
    258.2 KB · Views: 19
  • D5D6761D-E5DD-41AB-BA9F-EF79F8852077.jpeg
    D5D6761D-E5DD-41AB-BA9F-EF79F8852077.jpeg
    286.4 KB · Views: 24

mbuna_matt

It is very addictive especially once you start catching a few on them. The mini waggler worked ok so have gone on to try some old cane stemmed avons (the same thing upside down when you think of it......

Attachments

• 20210302_183828.jpg
    20210302_183828.jpg
    503.3 KB · Views: 10

stephenk

Site Supporter
Going to have a go at pole floats - the bits seem readily available.

A few questions -
- do you assemble then paint, or paint bodies before assembly.
- for painting- do you dip, brush or mask & spray
- do you need a lacquer after painting
- can you go straight to lacquer ie without paint

Cheers !

Griffo

Site Supporter
Going to have a go at pole floats - the bits seem readily available.

A few questions -
- do you assemble then paint, or paint bodies before assembly.
- for painting- do you dip, brush or mask & spray
- do you need a lacquer after painting
- can you go straight to lacquer ie without paint

Cheers !
everyone will have a different method, me I glue the bodies paint, then glue stems and eyes, then varnish, I only make for myself and it’s about 20 to 40 floats a time, different sizes, so I brush paint, after painting I apply 2 coats ronseal varnish that’s a mix 50/50 white spirits. I get a nice Matt finish, if you apply more then you start to get a gloss finish.

stephenk

Site Supporter
everyone will have a different method, me I glue the bodies paint, then glue stems and eyes, then varnish, I only make for myself and it’s about 20 to 40 floats a time, different sizes, so I brush paint, after painting I apply 2 coats ronseal varnish that’s a mix 50/50 white spirits. I get a nice Matt finish, if you apply more then you start to get a gloss finish.
Great - thanks for your help

Griffo

Site Supporter
Well getting ready for the better weather, my attempt at a fully self loaded mugging float, been playing about with them for a while to get it right, wanted something small compact and a nice plop, carry's .6g but 2 1/2” long including the weighted float adaptor. Had some good results with my other two shallow patterns already but might have to wait a month or two to get best use out of these C08A1DAC-11C6-4F3B-AE71-716EBE40217D.jpeg C08A1DAC-11C6-4F3B-AE71-716EBE40217D.jpeg

Attachments

• B9827971-4A43-47D3-8B0C-F346969B43B5.jpeg
    B9827971-4A43-47D3-8B0C-F346969B43B5.jpeg
    298.7 KB · Views: 9

Barbelcatcher

Site Supporter
Griffo, what do you use for the bottom attachment - swivel with one eye cut off ?

Thanking you in anticipation of your response.

Griffo

Site Supporter
Griffo, what do you use for the bottom attachment - swivel with one eye cut off ?

Thanking you in anticipation of your response.
Hi Barbelcatcher, no these are quick change swivel float adaptors, not sure of the make of these particular ones, but Drennan certainly make them, they weigh about .3grams then I just add a style of the right weight into the tube

Fugley-fisher

Fishing the stour dorset, most probably!
Site Supporter
Hello float makers, after a bit of advise I bought some N G loaded wagglers cracking floats casting is possibly the best I've used but he has put some mighty long 3mm hollow bristle on them which is fine for long range and when the fish is havin it big style but I was wondering if I cut the bristle say 10mm up and try and super glue a 1.5mm bristle in apart from maybe altering the fine tune shot, I just want a little more finesse, thoughts please. I know I should just build my own, but be honest I'm happy to butcher adapt someone else's work ;)