The Floatmakers Thread

Lamby180

I have just started making pole floats

Hiw do you no that are well balanced and is there any sort of rule of how long floats should be for different types

Rick123

Site Supporter
Similar to the comment above.. have you considered not having any eye, and using the silicon push on adaptors? I've bought them from eBay in a pack of 100, maybe not the quality of Drennan, but fit for purpose.

I use bamboo skewers (used for cooking), trimmed the ends with a pencil sharpener, and glued them in with epoxy. I then painted and liberally varnished so they are easy to slide on and off and reasonably resilient.

IMG_5283.jpg

These are a few wagglers and a prototype (work in progress) loaded windbeater made from reed where I've used the skewers. I've made my own wagglers from peacock quill for years and recently started experimenting with reeds and always do this as I prefer the adaptors when fishing. Only used reed once on my last river session of the season, and seems more buoyant than quill.
I've got some bamboo skewers, I hope the WOK, Steve. :D

Rick123

Site Supporter
How do you guys clean your quills up, what do you use to take all the feathers off, best tool?

MarkW

I've been redesigning many floats I've used and made for decades. The main change is to use 2, 2.5 and 3mm pole float tips in both peacock wagglers and Avon type floats. See pic. IMG_4399 small.JPG

Does anyone know of a source of 4mm hollow float tips?

trotter2

Looking for some float eyes the old type that you pushed in and had barbs to hold it in.
I know there is other ways of doing this ,and I don't want to use a float adaptor on this particular float. You could buy these years ago and I have made some by straightening eyed barbed hooks in the past. Anyone selling these still ?

Ludovic

Hello the floatmakers,

I'm Ludovic , French fisherman from burgundy
I'm building floats for pole fishing, balsa and foam, just for hobby, no commercial
I'm actually tuning a CNC lathe to reproduce models

some of my latest models:
cof.jpg
cof.jpg
cof.jpg

Is there other pole float makers here, lots of picture are any more readable

Have a good day

Ludovic

Tenacious Sloth

Site Supporter
I’ve struggled in the past to find a suitable container to shot a newly made long waggler.

My Missus bought one of these home today. Perfect, and only £6.

mbuna_matt

Just ordered some bits to have a try at making some small river floats, I've been buying and cutting down some DH shallow sticks and small bolo's. This time I'm going to try a pole body and a short wire stem....... be interesting one way or another ;-) If they sink I'll leave a few around before the next match.....lol

Marker50

Site Supporter
Well in.my usual over the top style.
I have a spare room now.wife as her craft room after kids gone.
Was thinking of doing a float making room.
If it gets like my fly tying days of old.
I'd bein there hours

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
I’ve struggled in the past to find a suitable container to shot a newly made long waggler.

My Missus bought one of these home today. Perfect, and only £6.

I use a tall spaghetti jar bought from car boot sale, can't remember if it was 50p or £1. Good for shotting floats of all sizes.

squimp

Site Supporter
I have just got hold of some really big (8 and 10 gram) balsa bodies to make some heavy Avon/bolo style floats.

im after some suggestions for stem material - I have 1.6mm wire but think I might need to step it up a bit ?

I found some brass rod - but that is too heavy.......

Any bright ideas please ?