The Floatmakers Thread

Lamby180

I have just started making pole floats

Hiw do you no that are well balanced and is there any sort of rule of how long floats should be for different types

Rick123

Site Supporter
Similar to the comment above.. have you considered not having any eye, and using the silicon push on adaptors? I've bought them from eBay in a pack of 100, maybe not the quality of Drennan, but fit for purpose.

I use bamboo skewers (used for cooking), trimmed the ends with a pencil sharpener, and glued them in with epoxy. I then painted and liberally varnished so they are easy to slide on and off and reasonably resilient.

View attachment 29429

These are a few wagglers and a prototype (work in progress) loaded windbeater made from reed where I've used the skewers. I've made my own wagglers from peacock quill for years and recently started experimenting with reeds and always do this as I prefer the adaptors when fishing. Only used reed once on my last river session of the season, and seems more buoyant than quill.
I've got some bamboo skewers, I hope the WOK, Steve. :D

Rick123

Site Supporter
How do you guys clean your quills up, what do you use to take all the feathers off, best tool?

MarkW

I've been redesigning many floats I've used and made for decades. The main change is to use 2, 2.5 and 3mm pole float tips in both peacock wagglers and Avon type floats. See pic. IMG_4399 small.JPG

Does anyone know of a source of 4mm hollow float tips?

trotter2

Looking for some float eyes the old type that you pushed in and had barbs to hold it in.
I know there is other ways of doing this ,and I don't want to use a float adaptor on this particular float. You could buy these years ago and I have made some by straightening eyed barbed hooks in the past. Anyone selling these still ?