The Floatmakers Thread

Tinca Steve

Irregular member.
Site Supporter
There's a lot of information in this thread ans it's going to take a bit of time to go through.

Ubique

Have been making floats for years, for myself and other anglers. Just been asked to make some loaded wagglers for a friend’s trip to Ireland. Managed to get hold of some artificial insemination straws, 50mm long and about 3mm in diameter, I loaded the inside with a plug on lead and put a balsa body on, they fly 25 to 30 yds with ease on our local reservoir,so, hopefully they will do the job across the sea.

squimp

Site Supporter
Any suggestions please on what to use for heavy stems on large Avon/Bolo style river floats.

I have some bodies (from Keith) up to 10g.... I have some quills, 3mm cane and also 1.6mm alloy stems. Presumably I could use a heavier metal stem eg welding rod, brass, thicker steel etc etc.

Any suggestions would really help.

Bronsin

Can anyone tell me what the diameter of stem is for a wire stemmed Avon float? I have some Balsa Avon style floats that have been made with a balsa stem, and would like to modify them with a wire stem. Any info is appreciated!

Bronsin

Thank You! I had looked at 1.5mm, but it was still kind of flexible and wasn't sure if it was large enough. In order to have anything to fish with over here in the states, you either have to import it or make it.

stickfloatkev

Can anyone tell me what the diameter of stem is for a wire stemmed Avon float? I have some Balsa Avon style floats that have been made with a balsa stem, and would like to modify them with a wire stem. Any info is appreciated!
Thank You! I had looked at 1.5mm, but it was still kind of flexible and wasn't sure if it was large enough. In order to have anything to fish with over here in the states, you either have to import it or make it.
it should be large enough but depends what size floats you are using because obviously the stem has to balance with the size of float if you see what i mean

Bronsin

it should be large enough but depends what size floats you are using because obviously the stem has to balance with the size of float if you see what i mean
I'm looking to make some wire stemmed sticks as I have some balsa to make those with. I'm shooting for 3BB to 5BB with the Avons. Finding some Stainless Steel wire to make the stems with isn't a problem so far. Actually, finding the appropriate size round balsa has been more of a challenge.

stickfloatkev

yes i can imagine. i used to get mine from a model shop where they sold several different diameters but the shop closed and ive struggled with supplies since then

Bronsin

I have a couple of books by Billy Lane that roughly give dimensions for you to build your own floats, but I should really start looking through this whole thread to see if there are any links to actual working blueprints to make some.

I used to be able to easily find Balsa in the hobby stores around me. Not now though. They have started carrying Birch for some reason.

Bronsin

Isn't the wire supposed to make the float ride more vertical since it's heavier? I have access to some small carbon rod, and it's very light. I was thinking of using it as a stem for a small canal antennae.

Tinca Steve

Irregular member.
Site Supporter
I use wire for fishing on the deck and carbon for fishing on the drop down to full depth or shallow for silvers.

stickfloatkev

yes wire is heavier but it depends how you intend to fish . if its up in the water then carbon will suit your needs but fishing hard on the deck or over depth i would definately opt for wire

Bronsin

I have access to some 4mm carbon tube. I was hoping it was smaller so I could make some small wagglers, but in this larger size I could probably make one in a larger size, and even load it with some brass rod inside the tube.