The Floatmakers Thread

nobby478

miserable old ....
Donfish, you're propably right about weighing them...but I really don't want to get too caught up in the numbers of it.

I think the whole float making thing for me was to try and catch more crucians. Jeez, they can be finicky. I one posted on here how I thought best to fool them and I got the Mick taken big time...people thought I was taking it far too far, but them buggers will drag a bait off to deeper water just to see if it still sinks to the bottom some days. And if your float won't let it sink, they're off.
I propably should just touch ledger, but I do love to float fish so much[:p]

'Cucumber ' green Chavender ![:D] It looks a lot better in sunlight, where the gold metal flake really shows up.

It's funny, isn't it? ... I didn't know I was making traditonal floats, I was just trying to make some that a fish swimming off with a bait would never feel...I got quite paranoid about floats that would cut through the water with no interference or drag. Then you come upon a perch or grayling bobber that is practically a floating bolt rig and wonder if you're missing something ??? [:D][:D][:D]

nobby478

miserable old ....
To be honest all you need is patience. It can all be done by hand. I do like to use a battery powered drill to drill through the bodies for stems and tips, it takes a bit of practice to get 'em straight,but the fish don't notice.

A sharp knife that takes new blades is a BIG help. A scalpel is the ultimate.

Seal balsa with 'clear shrinking dope' or 'sanding sealer'..I haven't tried the latter, but I hope to soon. Revell modelling paint for your fluorescent tips, over a white undercoat, and the rest is up to you.

My first float was an imitation leaf to act as a strike indicator when surface fishing for trout in a drain that had too many roots to try and fish elsewhere. It had a bit of lead on the bottom to ensure it would cast better than breadflake and always land the right way upo.

It nearly worked .....[:eek:)]

[:)]

Tom Tucker

A good site to get an idea into float making is http://www.fishingmagic.com/features/howto/float-making.html The originator, George Lockhart, describes in detail how to make floats and paint them etc., and states he is also prepared to offer advice to any person that makes contact with him via the website. You don't need the mini lathe either as most parts, including ready sanded and shaped bodies are available on eBay through "father_and_son" and fibreglass and carbon fibre stems are available from "wilkeskf"
http://www.talkangling.co.uk/ forum also has several threads on floats and float making.

Top Bagger

Guys I am having a problem with bodies not gluing to stems properly as i have just started experimenting with a few bloodworm and joker using wire for stem and tip and trying to glue the body onto the wire is proving difficult.
Any tips

nobby478

miserable old ....
Originally posted by Tom Tucker

A good site to get an idea into float making is http://www.fishingmagic.com/features/howto/float-making.html The originator, George Lockhart, describes in detail how to make floats and paint them etc., and states he is also prepared to offer advice to any person that makes contact with him via the website. You don't need the mini lathe either as most parts, including ready sanded and shaped bodies are available on eBay through "father_and_son" and fibreglass and carbon fibre stems are available from "wilkeskf"
http://www.talkangling.co.uk/ forum also has several threads on floats and float making.

Hi Tom and welcome.

Wilkeskf, or Keith Wilkes is a Magott drowner [:T] And an absolute Godsend.

Top Bagger, I've always used Superglue..it sets very quickly when going in to balsa and you only get one go !

Last edited:

sackup

BROWNING
Originally posted by Top Bagger

Guys I am having a problem with bodies not gluing to stems properly as i have just started experimenting with a few bloodworm and joker using wire for stem and tip and trying to glue the body onto the wire is proving difficult.
Any tips

Eather try a smaller bore hole or mix the glue and let it set slightly so its sticky, are you putting the glue on the stem before adding the body or putting the body on the stem then trying to glue it?

Top Bagger

putting glue on the stem then putting the body on the stem and moving it up and down to try and get the glue inside body as well. using evostick contact adhesive at the mo but might go back to superglue.
I cant drill a smaller hole as im drilling a 0.6mm hole through body and gluing 0.5mm wire through

sackup

BROWNING
Get some Araldite mate you wont turn back, like i said mix it up then put it on the stem leave until nearly set but still sticky then slide the body on. Dont be shy with the glue because the glue that comes out when you slide the body on can be used (with your finger) to seal both ends of the body and it gives a good smooth finish for painting.

Top Bagger

cheers mate. whens your handmade float store going to be up and running and what patterns are u doing

sackup

BROWNING
No probs mate, im just waiting on some materials and getting thing all together so probably a week or 2. Theres about 10 patterns (silvers shallow&deep/heavy&light) (carp shallow&deep(marginslight&heavy), (paste slims&rugby)paste self cocking),worm floats and a few more most will have a choice of tip and stem.Just thought id let others try them,ive designed most of them with & for the team lads who use them all the time now.

Top Bagger

Do you use templates to get the bodies the same size. If so does that mean you have a different template for every size in every pattern eg 0.1, 0.2, 0.3, 0.4, 0.5g etc in every pattern of float??

jacko the wacko

Hi guys ive made my own large chubber floats,when i say large they are 12 gram jobs for fishing a lump of bread on the wye.
I can make them okay but struggle with a tidy paint job,after reading on here about dipping im going to give that a go ,as said practice makes perfect.My next attempts will be pole floats .
I want to make river pole floats so say 4to 5 grams and want the line to go through the body like the garbolino floats does anybody have ideas what i could use to do this, as i need some sort of tube to stick in the body thanks alot .
Now please dont take the mick when you see the pics i aint going to win any awards thats for sure lol. [:I][:)]

http://www.maggotdrowning.com/forum/uploaded/jacko the wacko/2010112231634_020q.jpg

http://www.maggotdrowning.com/forum/uploaded/jacko the wacko/2010112231714_0191.jpg

http://www.maggotdrowning.com/forum/uploaded/jacko the wacko/2010112231855_021s.jpg

I said dont laugh [:D][:D]

Top Bagger

LOL!! No only joking there quite good mate as long as your not going to sell them professionally!
Did you make them on a lathe or drill

jacko the wacko

No mate i did them by hand, the balsa i used is 12mm in dia so i only got to shape the top and bot i use a short peice of welding rod for the stem at the bot.I find that easy like i said its the paint job i struggle with they work great though.

sackup

BROWNING
They look fine mate ive never made chubbers or floats that big such as pellet waggs they look spot on to me. As long as your happy with the floats that you produce, and they work for you then thats the main thing mate. Are they sealed with varnished as the black looks flat in the pic and not shiny? Or is it a waterproof paint just wondered because they will take on water like a sponge if not sealed and with then being balsa it wont dry out totaly and will go soft.