The Floatmakers Thread

Chavender

Steve
if you have a drill vice that can be locked into place ,all you need is some doobries making up

20095311335_bush2.jpg

(i've borrowed "wilkeskf" picture here from a previous thread on floatmaking )

these are sleaves with a block end with a centrally drilled hole ,you slip your floats body inside the doobree (a tight fit) then align the drill bit with thw hole and the doobree firmly held in the vice (with a bit of scrap wood under it)

alternatively you could use a thingymibob too locate the central point of the balsa & pre-drill it before working it too shape

08154-unimat-centre-finder.jpg

you have too have the doobries made too fit the dia of floats

davej

old hippy
Site Supporter
hold the balsa in the chuck bring down quill grip balsa in vice/vee block, clamp down vice/vee block. undo chuck fit drill in chuck, drill hole job done.

nobby478

miserable old ....
Originally posted by Kevin Tull

If you need some thin round bamboo, try using BBQ skewers.

And if you want an even thinner tip use toothpicks.

As well as the Drennan insert waggler spare tips you can buy, Colmic do several sizes of hollow tips too, the smallest is minute and small enough for polefloats. I'm told they also do solid tips, but I haven't seen them so far.

nobby478

miserable old ....
Oh, another thing on tips.
Those Drennan Insert Waggler tips fit the puddlechuckers and carp antenna floats too...or put another way you can take the wire stem and sight blob off a carp antenna and fit it to a crystal waggler if it gets windy. The top of an old Drennan float can be used to fit any of these tips to a home-made float. The Giant wagglers are a different size tip, though.

Top Bagger

For the best finish what do u guys recommend. Dipping, brushing on or air brushing the paint on??

Chavender

Steve
air brushing is a lot of faffing around ,but would give a great result if done right ,dipping probably gives the best result but there is a knack too it to avoid runs & putting a too thick a coating on ,.

i prefer too brush paint my floats as i've more control over the finish ,my problem is though i don't have a delicate touch so have too be extra carefull too get lines as strait as i can ,i do however where i can use plumbers ptfe thread tape as a masking tape as its non adheasive .

Ronald

Originally posted by Top Bagger

For the best finish what do u guys recommend. Dipping, brushing on or air brushing the paint on??

Depends on the type of varnish you're using. Mine is rather thick so I like to use a brush to get an even smooth surface.
I could imagine you'd prefer dipping when the varnish is thinner and when you are making lots of floats.

Last edited:

Chavender

Steve
for the best results with dipping you have too match the speed of removal too the flow of paint / varnish ,not a easy knack too master .you could build a contraption too do it ,a counterbalanced rig& pulley set up or a hydrolic ram system with dip tanks ,its a lot of bother unless your mass producing floats .

if i'm dipping i hold it in place with just the tip remaing in contact with the paint for a minuet or so then lift the float clear ,then hang (pushed through a sheat of polystyrene) upside down and allow final excess too drip off ,but sometimes you have too dab a droplet off ,thats started too set .with a bit of tissue .

you could of course build a float dryer ,from a glitterball motor ,that will slowly rotate giving a equil drying .

th_IMGP2853.png
(click picture too see video)

nobby478

miserable old ....
I brush paint all my floats. I've got my own wierd mix of oil and waterbased paint that dries very quickly ( it shouldn't work but it does and its discovery was a complete mistake[:I]) It is a sort of tench green with gold flakes in it.

I then brush a second coat which is a very fast drying clear laquer with more gold flecks in and the last coat is plain clear varnish.

The floats look good and have three coats of paint on them that looks pretty but is still unobtrusive.

For the tips I find dipping best, both the white and the fluorescent on top of it.

As Chavender says, you dip the tip then withdraw from the paint slowly leaving a 'thread' of paint between tip and the paint in the tin. This drags most of the excess of , but occasionally you need to touch some away if it looks like it's going to 'blob'.

I hang mine to dry on hooks of gardening wire spread across an old coathanger.

nobby478

miserable old ....
Floats006.jpg

The ones in the band are Drake floats, lovely little bodied quills.
Floats007.jpg

This Zoomer has multiple tips courtesy of a Drennan Tough Eye Pole Float...
Floats005.jpg

The ones in the blue box are purchased floats, not mine.
Floats001.jpg

Floats003.jpg

Donfish

'Wot's geet Wilf?
In The Float Makers Manual,the author used a cuckoo clock mechanism to gradually draw the floats up out of the paint.

Ronald

Hi Nobby478

Really nice floats you've made! I would describe them as typical "UK style" using so many natural materials. Well done.

nobby478

miserable old ....
Cuckoo clock...that's genius !

I've got a couple of old clocks too!

Hi Ronald, thanks. I do use carbon and glass stems for the driftbeaters and I'd use wire too, if I could find some that was thin and stiff, but it's nice to use the natural materials.

Nothing better than catching a shy biting fish when you fooled him with a home made float.

Chavender

Steve
I likes the (cucumber) green ,its a good float colour is that ,nice floats there i likes the old wooden double float winder .

Donfish

'Wot's geet Wilf?
Great to see your float collection Nobby,a lot of the old traditional ones you've made there.I too make all my own (except pole
floats),although mine are all stillwater patterns.No rivers around St.Helens and as I don't drive it's not an option for me.
Seeing your drift beaters there reminds me it's one type i've not done yet,so tomorrow it's out with the Balsa dowel etc.to give
'em a whirl.BTW nobby you say on your profile you caught a crucian estimated to be 4lbs plus,the record's 4lb 8oz so you'd
better start weighing 'em.! Regards,Don.

Could someone please give me a floatmaking guide for a "dummy" :) im 15 but i pole fish and pole floats cost about 3 a go, could someone give me instructions/ guide as to make my own pole floats please?

Thanks, Chris

Donfish

'Wot's geet Wilf?
Chris,you can buy pole floats for much less than 3.Have a search around the Web.