The Floatmakers Thread

Top Bagger

Was thinking now there are more professional floatmakers out there and more and more people seem to be interested in making a few for themselves as a hobby.
Why can the floatmakers section of the forum come back as I am sure loads of people would love it and contribute helping each other out.
Thanks
Jamie

Ivan heaphurst

Me too, It's a labour of love, got boxes of them.
As far as I am aware there is only one book about float making, trouble is I don't know the title. Can anyone out there help.

minkyandbear

Site Supporter
I'd be up for that suggestion too[:)]

Just finishing a batch of wagglers ready for the next outing.[:T]

There's a lot of satisfaction in catching using a homemade float plus it keeps you away from the TV[:D]

breamy

i,ll second that.!!! and more old tackle.more and more peep,s useing older gear make,s sense.[:D]

chunkylover

Ding Dang Do
Another vote for it to come back from me also, makes a good read some of the float making threads.

minkyandbear

Site Supporter
Not strictly a book purely on float making but Allan Haines - The Complete Book of Float Fishing is a corker and packed with info.

gazmat

Think the book your after is a "Billy Lane, Float Fishing", they go on Ebay occasionally, for quite a bit...saw one "Buy It Now"...40...apparently, that is the book to have.....[:T]

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Unfortunately the last time we had a specific forum for float making there was a lot of requests for it but very little use of it once it was added.
It'd be better to start a thread for float making and keep it alive with content [:)]

nobby478

miserable old ....
Billy Lanes, Encyclopedia of Float Fishing, and a later revised New Encyclopedia of Float Fishing, finished after his death.
They fetch about 10 on Ebay...the 40 BIN was a try-on.

Lot of text, very few illustrations, but a seminal work.

TBH you could do a lot worse than copy anything by Peter Drennan. I have just taken possession of a collection of unused , still in the packet, Winfield floats by Woolworths...some really good floats in there, but nothing that couldn't be made at home in a few minutes.

There's a self cocking waggler there that has a darning needle shoved up the base, but it sits just fine and rights in an instant[:T]

Donfish

'Wot's geet Wilf?
Originally posted by Ivan heaphurst

Me too, It's a labour of love, got boxes of them.
As far as I am aware there is only one book about float making, trouble is I don't know the title. Can anyone out there help.
The Float Makers Manual by Bill Watson,published 1976 could be the one you're thinking of.
I've just been making a batch of various wagglers,I never buy 'em,like you say it's a labour of love;and quite addictive!

Top Bagger

Dave i think either a section of the forum or a thread dedicated to floatmaking would be popular. Just from the posts so far its seems that a few people out there love floatmaking and would like to share their experiences with everyone else.
It would be good to get some professional floatmakers contributing to it aswell. If they dont mind giving away bits of information

chunkylover

Ding Dang Do
Could it not be a sticky in one of the forums, at least then people can easily find it ???

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Here you go then, It's now a sticky in the "Tackle Talk" Section.[:T]

fred_

here is a question for you floatmakers. I want to make my own wagglerfloats, what can i use for floatsteam insted of peacock. What type of wood would be good to use? I make the body of balsa wood before and the steam from all kind of things from wood, plastick to glassfibersteams but cant find what im looking for. cheers, Fred

Last edited:

Chavender

Steve
a waggler can have many parts ,that make them up and each type is generally known by either its function or by its components
ie strait peacock waggler ,strait sarkanda waggler or strait balsa waggler meaning a waggler with a strait body made of that material

wagglers are basically a mount & a body. the mount is the bit that you mount the float onto the line with ,it could be as simple as a cane peg with a eye whipped onto it or a tapoured cane peg & float adaptor arrangement or a plastic pre formed eyed peg insert .

the body of the waggler is usually a strait piece of boyant matterial like or plastic ,foam ,quill ,balsa ,reed of verious types

plastic's
drinking straws
biro pens

foam
pollystyrene ,styrofaom (foam by its self isn't strong or durable enough unless its re-enforced)

Woods
hard grade balsa

quill's
stripped bird quill's like goose ,crow ,swan etc
porcupine quills ,nice two tone colouring
peacock tail quill being most popular

Reeds
norfolk reed nice for traditional looking floats
sarkandas reed ,hard too find these days

tips can also be made from simular materials too the body just in smaller dia

additional bulked bodies can be added too the strait (formal) body of the float too form a bodied waggler usually made from balsa or foam .

fred_

CHEERS! you guys are awsome!
I have been looking for sarkandas for some time. I got a few wagglers with sarkandas and think they are what im looking for. they got the right density and wont brake. I want to do my own sliderfloats. I got some idees i want to try. Also i want to do straight wagglers. Will post some pictures when i got something to report!

Ronald

I like the Sarkanda for being perfectly round in diameter, more straight and stiffer than peacock shafts. Density is a little bit higher though and i.m.o. the sarkanda is more fragile. Once the reed is damaged the foam core will take in water. (Thats what it was originally designed for; water transportation.) Peacock is hydrofobical.
The site has lots more to offer for us floatmakers. There is a special page for pole float materials and one for wagglers/sliders.

Top Bagger

I dont have a lathe but have a pillar drill. Is there any way you guys can think of turning it into a sort of lather whihc would allow me to drill centrally through any diameter of balsa dowel. I have made some jigs but they dont seem to do the job and throw the drill off centre most of the time??