The Flat Float (not the river ones)... great read

derwentboy

Site Supporter

warrington63

Exiled Northerner
Site Supporter
Hi Jonny, we used to fish something similar when we were teenagers over 50 years ago, a float attached top and bottom to fish on the bottom at the side of moored boat on the Bridgewater Canal. A friend's dad put us onto it.
Our shotting was slightly cruder than that ,but we always caught a shedful of perch.
Also used it to catch gudgeon on the Shropshire Union canal near Beeston Castle in Cheshire,
Funny enough I don't think I have used it since.
I have used a piece of quill with two rubbers and pigtailed the line on the whip for small fish. Cast out and wait for line to straighten and fish on.

davej

old hippy
Site Supporter
I use this method all the time, although i fish it about a foot over depth so float moves along surface for a bit, find bite detection a lot easier in choppy water.

derwentboy

Site Supporter
I use this method all the time, although i fish it about a foot over depth so float moves along surface for a bit, find bite detection a lot easier in choppy water.
Do you make your own with a bit of a waggler snapped off? I was thinking of using some plastic tubing. Cheers for any advice

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
I use this method a lot when carping... no weight just the hook and bait... plumb to the bottom of the float and you're away, don't cast, lower the baited hook into place

PJG

I use it on the Thames and the Kennet for roach. Nice method and so much better than watching a tip. On the rivers use a bait dropper or squeeze a bit of ground bait around the bottom shot, fish well over depth.