The Fishing Fuzz

Alantherose

Site Supporter
Well, kind of...

Was asked for my rod license by a friendly EA bailiff on Monday. Nice chap, but no idea about fishing apparently 🤷🏻‍♂️

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
They don't need to know anything about fishing.
Just you have a valid licence and the correct number of licences for the rods being used.

grey

Site Supporter
I've never had a problem with any EA bailiff, they're just doing their job. Most now are multi-tasking with other workload responsibilities.

The one's who annoy me are the private bailiffs who have convinced themselves they are entitled to do the EA's job for them.

tjm160

Site Supporter
But why though Grey, surely it would be in everyone's interests if all clubs/bailiff's were to check rod licences?

grey

Site Supporter
But why though Grey, surely it would be in everyone's interests if all clubs/bailiff's were to check rod licences?
Why would it be in everyone's interests?

For a start, a club bailiff is not legally permitted to ask to see a rod licence (in doing so instantly rubs some licence owning anglers up the wrong way), secondly they can't tell if it's real when just presented with the licence number (which is all the angler needs to legally own), thirdly they can do nothing but alert the correct authority if they do happen find someone without a licence, by which time the culprit is long gone.

I'm sure I could come up with some fourthly's and fifthly's too, mostly about unnecessary confrontation and the bailiff exposing himself to a good thumping by a real ne'er-do-well.

If we really want the give the best opportunity for EA officers to catch licence dodgers, surely better to lull them into places where the EA can check dozens of licences at a time unexpectedly, rather than warning them off and pushing them to the back-of-beyond where the EA officers are far less likely to go?

I'm no fan of the license system in its current form, but it is law - and law shouldn't be use to give some jumped-up twerp the heightened sense of an assumed authority... not that all club bailiffs are jumped-up twerps I hasten to add - many are simply standard twerps :D

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
This gives me a chance to use the phrase 'on the lam', heard it in an old film, so as long as I'm not on the lam I don't worry.

tjm160

Site Supporter
The system is what the system is until such time as it changes. Until then, everyone 'should' have a rod licence, but many choose not to, which is distinctly unjust on the rest who do and so is illegal for good reason.

There are only so many EA baliff's and their job would be made considerably easier if clubs and their baliff's were to officially help out. If an angler has nothing to hide, they should have no issue presenting their rod licence when asked.

However, your point over those without reacting badly is certainly well taken, which would put 'unofficial' bailiff's in a very difficult position and without any form of formal backup/support.

Last edited:

grey

Site Supporter
The system is what the system is until such time as it changes. Until then, everyone 'should' have a rod licence, but many choose not to, which is distinctly unjust on the rest who do and so is illegal for good reason.

There are only so many EA baliff's and their job would be made considerably easier if clubs and their baliff's were to officially help out. If an angler has nothing to hide, they should have no issue presenting their rod licence when asked.

However, your point over those without reacting badly is certainly well taken, which would put 'unofficial' bailiff's in a very difficult position and without any form of formal backup/support.
Yes, I hear you.

We believe it helps punish those who don't share our law abiding nature.

But, you can't enforce a law illegally - it's just becomes a farce and a mockery.

And, you must accept, whatever your feelings, this demand by an unqualified local bailiff does wind up quite a few legal, licence owning anglers.

Here's an example which might better demonstrate how some anglers feel. A Curry's store detective is there for a reason: to ensure all shoppers are civil, don't damage or pinch the goods. However if the store detective demands to see your TV licence before allowing you to purchase, you'd probably challenge their authority on the issue, whether you had a TV licence not!

I think we need to establish the purpose of the club bailiff. Is it their role to check to see we are fishing legally? If so what other demands should they expect the right to? Is my car legal that I've parked on their land, do I have any other previous convictions?

Last edited:

tjm160

Site Supporter
For the points raised for and against, the use of 'local militia' vs. properly vetted, trained and supported 'officials', would certainly be immensely problematic to resolve..

Perhaps a most obvious solution would be for anyone purchasing any form of ticket to be required to present their rod licence at the same time. After all, we can't even apply for car tax without insurance and an MOT being in place. Same too with ammunition or firearms, both vendors and the licencing system strictly do not allow purchase without vendor checking ones licence first and recording details of the purchase made. So, there is at least precedence.

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
If you were a Commie owner you would not want the hassle or potential loss of trade
How would it work for clubs/syndicates etc when renewals are not in sync?

tjm160

Site Supporter
Renewals wouldn't need to be in sync. You simply need a valid rod licence on the day you purchase the ticket. The system doesn't have to be 100% watertight in order to increase effectiveness.

If that many anglers are using commercials to fish illegally without rod licences and the owners are aware as implied, then they are part of the problem.

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
And if your rod licence expires the day after you have purchased your club book then it doesn't work does it.
The only ones to blame are those who don't pay - there is not proportion of blame or culpability for anyone else.

"You can't hire a car without a driving licence."
No, but you can go out and buy one - or are you suggesting the seller has to ask to see a licence as well?

tjm160

Site Supporter
As stated, the system doesn't have to be 100% watertight in order to increase effectiveness. At the moment with no check on issuing a ticket, one doesn't even 'need' a rod licence. Some deterrence / check is better than none.