The fish that got you most excited/relieved/nervous etc

RedhillPhil

Computers verified, riots quelled, wars started.
Site Supporter
The fish that I think about is the one that I never saw. Fishing the Mole with a mate about six years ago I was legering small earthworms and being quite happy with the procession of Perch, Chub and Skimmers. There was a good pull on the tip and I lifted into something that felt a little better than the previous. "Hmm" I thought and shouted to matey, "this might be a better Chub". That was an understatement. Whatever it was was coming in nicely when there was all hell let loose as it realised that it was hooked. A 1.25 lb Avon rod and six pound line wasn't stopping it. No sir! Up and down the river it tore and just as I thought that I had it beaten it would tear off again. It finally tore off to-wards a rooty tree on the opposite back. I put on as much side strain as I could to try and turn it and................the size twelve pulled.
There are Carp to 22lb and Barbel to 14lb in that bit of the river. It was one or the other. It may have been foul hooked.

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
I don't tend to get excited by individual fish. Never have been a PB chaser. Going fishing is what excites me. Carp or silvers, large or small, its all the same to me, a day's fishing.

I do recall my biggest fish though, 18-6 carp from Solhampton that had the fishery owner excited when he weighed me in. That fish was important because I was in a team match (fishing for Yorkshire) and we won by 1 point.

I suppose the fish that gets me excited is the next one. When the float dips or the tip goes round you never know what is on the hook.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Tbh the most excited I’ve ever been to see fish weren’t even mine instead were the two times I’ve seen tarpon hooked. First one was to my cousin where when it first went air born I did lose it a bit as just a phenomenal sight to see something that probably weights 2/3 as much as you do fly out of the water. Then the second was to my grandad which was even more unexpected as we were just light tackle fishing a shallow water when this thing just erupted out of water no deeper than the it was long. First one on appropriate gear was tamed the second on light tackle resulted in an empty reel 😅

TrickyD

Site Supporter
For me it was on a flooded river Mole (Surrey) 2011. Had been after Barbel for years, had 1st and only barbel(until then) in 1980 from The Royalty, and that was an impressive 10lb 6oz. On this day I hooked a fish which immediately felt good, and I was nervous as the water was ripping through, I was excited about the fight and relieved when I banked my PB barbel of 15lb 10oz. Had another of 6lb since, but apart from small ones on a commercial, that is the sum total of my barbel fishing exploits.

tincatim

Site Supporter
A few fish come to mind but the one that stands above all others was my first double figure barbel from the River Dearne. I’d only ever caught one barbel before and that was in the early 90’s from the Severn at Atcham. I quit fishing in 96 and started again in 2011 after moving to Yorkshire. I started trying for barbel in 2012, fishing the Dearne maybe around 8-10 times a year. I’d caught chub and bream, but no barbel. I knew they were in there but I couldn’t catch them, despite reading countless articles and watching endless videos, it just never happened.

Until July 2015...

I managed to get the afternoon off work and planned to fish a lovely looking swim that I’d found from 1pm - 5pm. Fishing hair rigged 10mm halibut pellet, I cast into a likely liking spot just under a raft. I sat for 40 minutes when all of a sudden the reel was spinning and the rod hooped over. I grabbed the rod and bent into what felt like a torpedo heading straight for the tree on the far side. The Adrenalin was surging, I knew it wasn’t a chub, definitely not a bream! Could be a carp? I hope it’s a barbel.. I tried to shake the excitement away as I’d not even got it into the main flow yet and didn’t want to get my hopes up and lose it. I applied steady pressure and managed to get it out, and after two more runs I finally caught a glimpse of the most amazing fish I’d seen in real life (at least it felt that way at the time).

I landed and weighed it, 10lb 4oz! And I’d finally broken my Dearne Barbel duck! 30AFCD00-20CA-4ED6-92FF-39C6343D690E.jpeg
My knees and hands were trembling, a bloke walking his dog shouted over “have you got one pal?” I can’t even remember what I said to him but I’m confident it didn’t make much sense. It was so satisfying to see all those blanks finally pay off.
I followed this fish up with two more barbel of 9lb and 6lb, completing my favourite four hour session, ever! And leaving me thinking I was the new barbel master.

Spoiler: I’m not the barbel master, I’ve only ever caught two more since then.

gingert76

Facts, Stats & Evidence!
Site Supporter
The fish in my pic, known as Nemo and biggest fish in the lake and 57lb+ when i caught it. Made me turn to jelly as 30+ years of trying to catch a 50lb carp after catching a 49lb 14oz carp on my first france trip over 20 years ago! so been a long wait and took several cups of tea before i could stop shaking and weigh it and get pics done.

Also hooked and lost a masssive perch when i was 16ish, hooked it from a tiny river and ive never seen a bigger perch and ive seen them to over 4lb. It was laying on the surface and as i went to net it it took one more flip and smashed the line, on my tiny little 7ft argos/woothworths rod lol

my fist 2lb roach, caught on the roding and one of two 2lb+ that day and 6 or 7 over 1lb, just fishing my old pole and pinkies into a tiny eddy on the far bank (6 meters away lol) and my brother running up to my sisters house to get a camera for a picture

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I'm on an unofficial break from posting on the forum, I still read though. :LOL: And this thread reminds me why I love fishing. We all love fishing and to me there's nothing better than talking about what you've caught, right? So I might just post a few more times over the next few days. As that song almost goes 'One fish is all it takes, possibilities...' and that's all it can take to make a session. Unfortunately, in matches, I don't have an experience of just one fish that made or broke it, more landing on fish which resulted in some memorable wins. But I do have some stories about memorable individual fish.

I used to fish Lavender Hall quite a lot. It was a new fishery back when I used to fish it so newly stocked with quite a few decent Carp in Bens Pool. I had a few doubles from there. Apparently according to their site there's 2000 Carp in the 1 acre lake so it doesn't surprise me hearing it fishes harder now if it's the same stock as when it was a new fishery. Anyway, I was feeding corn in a shallow margin and suddenly a bright orange Koi circled round. It came in once and made a bit of a cloud and then circled round out into the lake again. I flicked my rig down the edge and it came back in, float dipped, fish on! I had to get this in. And I did, properly hooked in the mouth too. Turned out to be a pushing 15lb Koi that I'd practically mugged. I was fishing on my own otherwise it would have been a photo for the gallery of fish catches they had in the tackle shop there.

Another one from around the same time, this time back before the days of camera phones, I was fishing with my mate from the Junior Club at Blythe Waters in Knowle on Willow Pool. It had been stocked with 4oz Carp you could swing to hand. We would catch 100 of them in a day on a light no8 elastic. Great fun but when I struck into something solid I thought it was a big Carp. So when an absolutely huge Tench surfaced I had to get it in. I did and it was pushing 9lb. A massive shocker for that fishery and still probably the best fish I've ever caught specimen wise, from the least expected venue, I've never heard of this fish showing there any other time. Did well to land that on an 8 elastic in a reed lined peg.

More recently, I've been lucky because I only just moved house and so I had the chance to fish a lot of new venues, and I always think the first proper fish from a new venue is magical. I remember the first fish I caught from the weir I now fish regularly. I went down and someone was fishing so I had a chat with him and he said he didn't mind if I fished the opposite bank on the farmers land, but be warned that the farmer comes to move you along now and again. Sure enough, it wasn't long before the call came out "private land" and the farmer moved me on, but not before I'd cast a worm out and had a decent Perch and a Chub. I was amazed really, just getting back into river fishing, that there were decent fish right there on my doorstep. It soon became much wrote about favourite spot in the world.

The other would be the first time I went Barbel fishing on the Severn, not a clue what I was doing, feeling intimidated by the river, inappropriate tackle which I later quickly remedied, let along if I'd chose a decent swim. So when the tip on my old Browning Feeder Rod went over properly for the first time it was a special moment. The first Barbel I hooked stripped line off the reel for about 10 seconds before the hook pulled. Gutted but still magical. I had two more that day though, only small, but I was over the moon. I had to go back the next day for another session which turned into a red letter day, but that's a different story...

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
@Zerkalo you may have not been away long but we had already been missing posts like that which just sum up the enthusiasm for fishing 👍🏻 Plus 15lb koi and 9lb tench are incredible fish!

Jimpanzee

Site Supporter
I would say not so much a fish but a trip to the Norfolk broads with the family when I was 15 is something that really sticks in my mind. We hired a boat for the week. My Dad & I took a feeder, float and lure rod and fished for a couple of hours every morning and the odd evening too, all from the back of the boat. We caught all sorts from Bream, Perch, Roach, Eels & the old man landed a few jack pike too. To top it off we saw and stopped off at some amazing places and ate at some lovely pubs by the water. It’s one of my best family holidays and it was just so exciting to fish at every possible opportunity..I would love to do something similar with my kids when they are bigger.

The individual fish was a sea fishing trip in Poole with my old mans work when I was also 15. I landed a 6 and a half pound sea bass, which turned out to be the biggest fish of the day, landing me the £50 pot..lovely bonus and it felt like a big lump although I don’t remember a huge amount about the fight, just felt like an age to get in. We ate it for our tea and it is the tastiest, freshest fish I’ve had to this day.

Last edited:

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I would say not so much a fish but a trip to the Norfolk broads with the family when I was 15 is something that really sticks in my mind. We hired a boat for the week. My Dad & I took a feeder, float and lure rod and fished for a couple of hours every morning and the odd evening too, all from the back of the boat. We caught all sorts from Bream, Perch, Roach, Eels & the old man landed a few jack pike too. To top it off we saw and stopped off at some amazing places and ate at some lovely pubs by the water. It’s one of my best family holidays and it was just so exciting to fish at every possible opportunity..I would love to do something similar with my kids when they are bigger.
Used to do very similar as a kid expect we stayed at various houses on the water in wroxham. Used to go October to February half term from the age of about 13-16. It used to fish brilliantly in October and absolutely awful in February but blimey did we catch some fish on those October trips given how inexperienced I was at that stage. Stacks of roach and perch including comfortable pounders of the former and comfortable couple pounders of the latter along with plenty of good skimmers, gudgeon and Ruffe. Theres talk of going back again this coming year if we can’t go fishing in the US again due to the current predicament.

Jimpanzee

Site Supporter
Used to do very similar as a kid expect we stayed at various houses on the water in wroxham. Used to go October to February half term from the age of about 13-16. It used to fish brilliantly in October and absolutely awful in February but blimey did we catch some fish on those October trips given how inexperienced I was at that stage. Stacks of roach and perch including comfortable pounders of the former and comfortable couple pounders of the latter along with plenty of good skimmers, gudgeon and Ruffe. Theres talk of going back again this coming year if we can’t go fishing in the US again due to the current predicament.
Sounds fantastic mate, I’d love to catch a 2lb perch. I’d say they are my favourite fish with Roach a close 2nd. Wroxham is a lovely place as is the Norfolk’s in general. So many villages and towns in that area.

RMNDIL

Difficult one to answer as there are lots of occasions when a fish or a couple of fish meant a lot regardless of size. A winter league (144 peg jobs) on the Oxford canal at Wolvercote down when just 2 small 2oz perch won me the section from a very frozen canal and after I'd 'lost' my first fish after a couple of hours when it came off when bringing it back across the ice !!!! Thought i'd never get another bite and blank like everyone else. An 8lb barbel caught totally out of the blue on the waggler at Carrotsham of all places in 10ft of water with a rather soft actioned 12ft rod. Netting that was a right pain as the more i tried to get it up the more the rod bent. It looked HUGE but was an old, empty fish. Goodness I was relieved ! Together with 2 chub that won the section of another large Winter League. A single decent Chub caught in an ODAA Short Knock-out match at Eynsham up - caught in a raging snow storm. Only 2 fish caught out of the 16 anglers and I can still hear Mark Heath shouting down to me 'don't $%$£$%$ lose it' whilst I was playing it !!!

Probably most satisfying though were 3 small roach (maybe 3oz or 4oz max) caught on the waggler from the lower Cherwell just above the Thames when it was freezing cold and with thick snow on the ground.

There are lots of memories.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Sounds fantastic mate, I’d love to catch a 2lb perch. I’d say they are my favourite fish with Roach a close 2nd. Wroxham is a lovely place as is the Norfolk’s in general. So many villages and towns in that area.
Yep I’m pretty much the same mate except it’s roach first perch second for me. They were big 2s there as well some only a couple ounce short of 3. And yeah Norfolk is a nice place, only missed being born there by a couple years so could have been typing this with an extra finger or thumb 😅. Been back a couple times as an adult mostly recently last year when I had a few sessions on Waveney. Wonderful river that (or at least so was the bit I I fished) for sheer numbers and diversity of species.

Probably most satisfying though were 3 small roach (maybe 3oz or 4oz max) caught on the waggler from the lower Cherwell just above the Thames when it was freezing cold and with thick snow on the ground.

The cherwell through Oxford is a lovely bit of river isn’t it, so different to what it is upstream, is a bit like the upper Thames once you get into the town.

Reuben

Site Supporter
Seeing a Piranha in a river in Columbia we were about to cross - there’s never just one Piranha!!

Paul_T

I'm not really one for PBs, plus my memory is fading and I can't remember most of them! However, my fishing goal is fairly modest in that I would love to catch a 2lb roach from a canal or river.

I was very close one afternoon on the Grand Union Canal at Marsworth and caught a lovely specimen of 01-15-08. I was tempted to give myself the extra 08 drams but I would only have been cheating myself.

The weekend just gone I fished the big lake at Willows Lakes St Albans and landed what I initially thought was a 3lb'er, it was like a breeze block, the right colour and had red/orange fins; but clearly the head wasn't quite right, so I'd say it was a hybrid.

One other fish that I do remember well was from a silvers winter match on the middle lake at Tingrith. I caught what I thought was a true 5lb 3oz crucian carp, that would have been the British record at the time. The many witnesses that day were also convinced. So I sent the pics off to the angling press and the British Record Fish committee and eventually someone got in touch and said it wasn't a true crucian, it was likely a brown goldfish. The scale count was correct at 33, but apparently there are only a handful of venues in the UK that are regarded as holding 'true' fish, and Tingrith wasn't one of them.

ATTICUS FINCH

Indo Pacific sailfish, watching that thing perform whilst I was trying to land it was pretty exciting stuff.
95lb , tagged and released.
Kenya back in 95.

Pompous git

Site Supporter
There is a caravan park behind {well it wouldn`t be in front} of the ranges between Dymchurch and Hythe. A small dyke runs
through the park and as a small boy I sat behind a husband and wife whilst they were fishing, the bloke landed a couple of
tench probably only a couple of pounds but they seemed like monsters in my child`s mind.

Left a lasting impression and been a devotee of the jolly old tinca ever since, what wonderful fish they are, always a pleasure
to catch.