The fish that got you most excited/relieved/nervous etc

The Runner

Site Supporter
Two very different fish, both in matches on the R Colne
Number one; Excited, relieved and nervous all at once.
Was fishing a teams of 4 match on the river and had drawn a known big fish area at Rickmansworth. Fished for a lump most of the match , had a couple of perch and could find a few gudgeon close in but didn't think was worth going for them. With an hour to go a mate who couldn't fish that day came round for a walk and told me it was hard everywhere and a pound and a half would be really good points in the section of 16. Had about 12oz already, reckoned could get up to 1-8 if I went for the gudgeon, so top three, 5 elastic, .09 and a fine wire 20. Had a dozen gudgeon in the next half hour, was debating whether to have one more look on the big fish line, when float went and a few feet of elastic came out. Thought it was a good perch or possibly a bream at first but when it hadn't moved after a couple of minutes realised it wasn't. Luckily it just spent 25 minutes plodding about close in (don't think it knew it was hooked) and just before the whistle netted what's still my biggest barbel at 10-3-8. Weighed 11-5 for a section win, third overall and team won as well.

Number two, at the other end of the scale; Club's "King of the Colne" series, 4 matches on the river and the one everyone wants to win, River had fished poorly all winter and with one match to go I was miles ahead and the way the points worked could probably only be caught if I blanked and either Derek or Bob finished top 3. Note at this point that Derek (our chairman and a good mate) had never won the trophy but had been runner up 4 of the previous 5 years. Anyway, Derek drew 52, pretty much a guaranteed framer at the time, Bob 61, nothing special, and me 36, notoriously odd chub or nothing. Two chances of catching in 36 , usually right down the swim where it shallows up or occasionally tight across to a tiny slack under some brambles. Fished it hard all day without a bite, word had Bob with only a handful of bits and Derek catching roach steadily. Five minutes to go, still blanking, net drying up bank, bankwalkers informed Derek of this, two minutes to go, put waggler rod down, poked pole across to the slack one last time and float went. Struck and started shipping back in one movement to keep the expected chub out of the brambles. Nope, a minnow which somehow stayed on being shipped back 14m on a 12 elastic and a barbless 18.
Scales came round, Derek 6-5 which got second on the day, not much after that, and his face was a picture when he saw the bottom six inches of my net in the water.
0-0-4 and a series win...

For "relieved" though it would be a National on the Welland, 1991 I think. What were to be the two sections above Crowland Bridge had been awful in the practice open the week before (I'd won my section of 10 with a roach and an eel for 1 1), and on the day I drew 4 pegs up from the bridge. River gin clear, blowing a hoolie straight downstream and loads of floating weed everywhere would make it a nightmare. Could see some tiny fish in the edge as I was setting up, so back up plan was to be burst pinkie on a 26 down the side. An hour in, not a bite, hadn't seen anyone else catch, time for the "eyeball" rig but they weren't there anymore... Went through the card trying to find a fish and then with 90 minutes to go the wind turned behind me slightly and I found that by catapulting the loose feed high I could get it almost to the far bank so went over there with a 2ft long waggler to beat the drift. And missed a bite first chuck over. Never so relieved as when hit the next one and landed an ounce roach. Added two more and ended up 4th in a section of 83 with 110 grams (0-3-12 in English) !

nejohn

Site Supporter
Mine is an easy one, many years ago I fished a small club pond in the North East it was a decent mixed fishery that had the usual fish plus a few big carp but the other species were really just average size.
One winters afternoon I quite by accident found a very deep hole around 10ft deep were all around was only about 5 ft, it was only a couple of yards square and not far out from the bank in a corner of the pond with a steep bank. I fished if for about an hour with not so much as a bite, then suddenly the float slid away I struck and felt a solid resistance, my first thoughts were it was one of the resident bream. I got it closer to the surface and the sight of what for that water was an enormous roach almost took my breath away suddenly my playing of the fish changed, I took great care not to lose it when I finally had it safely in the landing net I took a deep breath and took in the sight of a fin perfect roach with bright red fins, I weighed it on the spring balance that I kept in my tackle box and it went 2lb 1oz....an absolute giant for a water that normally a 6-8 oz roach was thought of as a good fish.
I took quite a few big roach from that peg over the next 2 years with the best going 2lb 5oz but none got anywhere near the excitement of that 1st one. Unfortunately there was then a substantial fish kill through desease and the big roach were never seen again

Scribe

Official Supplier of Pork Pies to the Drowners
Site Supporter
My first and only Barbel (so far :D) Have I told everyone about my Barbel ? Just want to make sure I didn't miss anyone out. :D:D

I was convinced it was going to come off through (a) something stupid I would do or (b) Just sod's law...........'My First Barbel I nearly caught, doesn't sound or feel half as good as the first barbel I caught, as far as stories go, :D

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
My first and only Barbel (so far :D) Have I told everyone about my Barbel ? Just want to make sure I didn't miss anyone out. :D:D

I was convinced it was going to come off through (a) something stupid I would do or (b) Just sod's law...........'My First Barbel I nearly caught, doesn't sound or feel half as good as the first barbel I caught, as far as stories go, :D
I can’t remember that Kev. You had a Barbel ? 🤣🤣👍. Not be your last that mi lad.

rd115

плак-плак
Site Supporter

I never knew you were a Barbel angler @Scribe 🤔😆

squimp

Site Supporter
Easy answer: my first permit on a fly.

The fight involved hooking the fish whilst wading in shallow water, then climbing into the adjacent panga. The idea being to move to deeper water and play the fish out there. But.....

The boat boy managed to start the motor and then run straight into a coral head. The panga stopped dead and I flew straight off the prow into 10 ft of water, still holding my rod. They fished me out and a few minutes later I landed the fish. All 12 pounds of it.

I have landed 24 more since and each one has been an exercise in self flagellation. The fights are not enjoyable as the prize (the holy grail of saltwater fly fishing) is so significant. I remember every one, even the small ones.

Yosemite Sam

Site Supporter

I must of missed that. never knew you fished for Barbel. Was it big.🤣😉

Scribe

Site Supporter
I never knew you were a Barbel angler @Scribe 🤔😆

I am not at the moment :cry::cry: all the gear and no idea - of when I can get on the Trent again.
You watch the Government announce that Leics & Notts Tier 3 status will come to an end on the 16th March. :laser-kill:

Scribe

Site Supporter
I must of missed that. never knew you fished for Barbel. Was it big.🤣😉

Rumour has it.....:ROFLMAO: Actually I am bloody glad I caught it, that fish has raised a smile at moments when I have needed a lift, pound for pound was worth a lot more rhan registered on the scales.(y)

Thanks again Chris @Northantslad (y) (y)

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Easy answer: my first permit on a fly.

The fight involved hooking the fish whilst wading in shallow water, then climbing into the adjacent panga. The idea being to move to deeper water and play the fish out there. But.....

The boat boy managed to start the motor and then run straight into a coral head. The panga stopped dead and I flew straight off the prow into 10 ft of water, still holding my rod. They fished me out and a few minutes later I landed the fish. All 12 pounds of it.

I have landed 24 more since and each one has been an exercise in self flagellation. The fights are not enjoyable as the prize (the holy grail of saltwater fly fishing) is so significant. I remember every one, even the small ones.
That sounds a dramatic battle to say the least! Magic fish aren’t they, proper bucket list job for me. Closest I’ve come so far was netting one and just seeing it was pretty special 😍

BURNING

one session featuring pike slamming into topwater lures, I'd post the video here but can't remember what maggotdrowners rule is on that

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Thinking about it that highley chub wasnt last year but the one before. Obviously not as memorable as I thought if I can't even remember the year 😅

Scribe

Site Supporter
Thinking about it that highley chub wasnt last year but the one before. Obviously not as memorable as I thought if I can't even remember the year 😅

2020 has been written off completely therefore you caught it last year, no worries. (y)

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
2020 has been written off completely therefore you caught it last year, no worries. (y)
Can’t be writing off this year as I’ve had more good days fishing this year than any previous year simply by fishing so much! I know what you mean though time has properly blurred this year hasn’t it, I don’t know which way is up and down now 😅

Godber

Priapism! ladies?
Site Supporter
Back in 87 l was a good waggler and swingtip angler. The RAF base l was at had an annual match so l thought l'd have a go. Quite a few of the 20 or so anglers had poles, most had boxes and quite modern kit. There was a couple of sniggerz when l turned up with an ancient canvas rod bag and basket. A freezing cold day and nothing was being caught anywhere when my float dipped and a 3oz micro perch was ever so gently played and netted and placed in a bucket of water because my net had a couple of 1p size holes. I won with the only fish caught🤣🤣🤣 Oh the faces on the bunch of tarts...... beaten by erk with grotty gear🤣🤣🤣

JayD

When a young school boy in my early teens, I fished a small mill pond, and caught the usual suspects, small carp, roach, rudd, perch etc, rarely above 8oz. I occasionally caught a glimpse of a monster, a ghostly shape that would suddenly appear out of the depths, and drift away again. It was, we thought uncatchable, but we could dream. One day, bored with the usual fare, and having spotted the monster a couple of times pass under my bank, I decided to to try to 'catch the impossible'. I broke a slice of bread into a few smaller pieces, squeezed them, and dropped them into the margin, and baited the size 10 hook with a piece of flake, added a BB shot to the line, and waited. After a few minutes I saw the 'monster' grubbing about under my rod tip in about 3 ft of water, and lowered my baited hook into the swim. I watched as it approached and then took the bait, I struck, and found myself attached to the biggest fish I'd ever seen. After the longest 10 minutes of my life, with my heart pounding, and legs shaking, it lay in the landingnet of an adult that had seen me and come round from the other side of the pond. He weighed it for me, a whole 8lb 2oz! He said it was bigger than anything he'd seen caught from the water, and we looked at it for a minute or two as it rested in the net in the margins, then watched it glide back into the depths. I've had bigger fish over the years, but have sadly never captured that feeling as intensively as I did that day.
The only time I came close, short-lived, and with a different outcome was towards the end of a six years quest to catch a 2lb roach from a water that had been producing big roach, I'd had several fish over 1lb 8oz, with one matching my PB of 1lb 13oz, but never the elusive 2lber. I saw a few, and even weighed a few for other people, and even witness some shrink by as much as 1lb when on the scales! One wet and very windy day my mate and I fished a fairly sheltered, double swim, he having a fish of 1lb 6oz, and me a 1lber, My float sank and i struck into a heavy fish. The roach in this water had the habit of kiting up to the surface when hooked, this one was no different, and I saw it roll about 2 rod lengths out, my heart was in my mouth, this was it! My mate saw it and agreed with me, we'd finally cracked it after all this time. Just then a gust of wind lifted my umbrella, and I instinctively grabbed it with my left hand, this let the reel backwind, and the resulting slack line saw the fish role and escape. My heart sank, and I stared at the float bobbing in the margin in disbelief, my mate lit me a cig, and I just sat there in silence reliving what had just happened. It must have been at least 10 minutes before either of us spoke. That was my one and only 'known' chance, the shoals of big roach gradually disappeared as the year class that produced them died off, helped no doubt by a a stocking of bream and carp soon after. Nearly 50 years have passed since then, and I still haven't come close to catching a 2lber, I've accepted that I never will, but I still have the memories of some good fish.

John.

CarpCatcher86

Mine was a common of 28lb on a water I had struggled to catch on for weeks. Then I hit on the magic boilies that the fish liked and spent the rest of the day missing/losing carp. Two snapped me and the rest just spat the hook.
Before or since I have never had so many missed chances to put a fish on the bank. As soon as it had been landed and weighed, I packed up and left quickly before anything else went wrong.