The fish that got you most excited/relieved/nervous etc

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
A thread inspired by reading @Stewie74's match report which included that always exciting first fish after blank last time out. That got me thinking about those fish you catch now and again that you are just so excited/grateful/relieved etc to see end up in the net. I'm sure everyone must have had those special fish (be they PBs, match winners, blank beaters or just a nice fish you weren't expecting or had put real time and effort into catching) that just get your heart pumping a bit more.

Two examples for me were both chub that were and are my PBs. First one was a roughly 4 pounder that I had on the feeder to beat a blank on a borderline flooded and freezing cold Hampshire Avon a couple years ago. Wasn't that fussed about it then being a PB was more that I'd spent the time and money to fish the Avon for the first time only to find it in such bad state that it would have been a relief to catch anything let alone something decent, was even followed by a couple salmon parr lol. Second one was from the Severn at highley last year. Had started the day on the feeder and had a 4 poundish barbel early on followed by plenty of nice dace and few reasonable roach before losing a certain PB dace that could have gone maybe 12oz which rather took the wind out my sails. Switched onto the float shortly after that and carried on catching nice dace and the odd roach before striking into something rather solid that I just instantly knew was a PB chub so my legs went to jelly! Can't remember the exact weight, was well over 5 but a bit shy of 5.5, but more importantly was at least over a pound over my PB and a good few pounds over any chub I'd ever caught on the float before which as a method always means more to me. Probably still my single favourite coarse fish capture to date!

Anyway enough waffle over to you guys, what fish made you sit up, pay attention and shake like a pooing dog whilst you set about landing it?!

Last edited:

Maesknoll

Chris
Staff member
Site Supporter
On a flooded river, the last round of the South West AT winter league when it was two divisions and the top division was 12 teams of 12, I had a chance of winning the individual title, but a blank would have been a disaster, I fed a small ball of joker by putting it in the bottom of my keepnet, I fished in the tiny bit of slack the keepnet created and had two gudgeon on bloodworm, that was enough the win the title, well chuffed.

rd115

плак-плак
Site Supporter
Double figure Tench, 30lb-40lb+ Pike, or 15lb+ Barbel.

Fish i've never gotten amongst yet but one day hope to catch, fish of a lifetime as it were.

But in the meantime i'm happy with a single figure Pike hoping to nick a double, or a 3-4lb Barbel hoping one day to also nick a double :D Those are the fish that keep me going.

Carp were exciting as a kid because i only ever fished the canal, they were in there but the stuff of legend, you heard of captures but never saw any :unsure: You'd be the talk of all ya mates if you ever caught one. They don't excite me in the least anymore though, you can rock up to pretty much any stillwater now and EXPECT to catch Carp, not as unobtanium as they were to me when i was a kid that could only afford the free fishing on the canal.

Silver fan 82

There have been a few but I think any decent sized Tench puts a smile on my face.
After a few blank sessions and getting back into Pike fishing after years a Pike the other week (not big, only 8lb or so) is definitely the fish I'm most relieved to catch. I'm still buzzing now thinking about that session. God I love fishing! The ups and downs, it's all good in my book.

Me and my lad

Site Supporter
Stillwater barbel when fishing a mixed fishery. I am always in awe when catching them on the pole.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
God I love fishing! The ups and downs, it's all good in my book.
Once you’re hooked you’re hooked arent you! Couldn’t live without it now!

Stillwater barbel when fishing a mixed fishery. I am always in awe when catching them on the pole.
Have to say when I first hooked a Stillwater barbel of decent size I was shocked how much stronger they are than a carp of equal size. Probably not as quick but more powerful 👍🏻

Stewie74

Site Supporter
It’s simple for me, there’s two fish that tick the excited/grateful/relieved boxes....

the first one, and the next one....

NoCarpPlease

Site Supporter
I have had to calm my nerves after landing a big fish in light line in matches a few times - actually shaking. IMO it's a good sign that I still enjoy fishing for some of the right reasons.

But the two I most remember were two that I lost.
The first was the first double figure barbel that I ever hooked - mid 1980s on the Great Ouse. It was hooked plum in the dorsal ... I could get it on the surface midriver, but within netting range it just sank to the bottom. I played it for what felt like an hour before the hook pulled out. I don't know if it was nerves or muscle fatigue - but my arm was shaking for hours after.
The second was on the Trent at Shardlow a few years ago. I was really struggling to catch roach - when I hit in to a submarine which turned out to be a large chub. Somehow I guided it through the prolific weed growth on 0.10 bottom and 20 fine wire hook ... and then I saw it. OMG - it was huge ... I've had chub over 6 pounds and this was a chunk bigger. I got it nearly to the rim of the landing net when the poxy hook pinged out! Poor lad on the next peg had never heard such swear words! Took me about 15 minutes to stop shaking.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I don't know if it was nerves or muscle fatigue - but my arm was shaking for hours after.
I’ve had that before so I’m pretty sure that it’s muscle fatigue. First had it after a butterfly ray of about 60lb in Tenerife, arm was shaking so bad I couldn’t hold my pint in the bar afterwards so was just as well I drink with the other hand 😂 I’ve had it for a couple minutes a few times with double figure carp on roach gear but that time it went on for hours like you say.

And yeah I think I’d be near tears if I lost a 6lb chub!

Sam Vimes

Site Supporter
Mostly fish that you have an inkling that they're big before you are close to landing them. However, with more years of angling under your belt, I've found that you rarely know that you are into a PB threatening fish until it's in the net. Smaller fish of various species often put up more of a fight than their bigger brethren. You are more likely to know if your PB isn't especially big or the fish does something slightly odd that gives you a clue.

Three instances for me in the last few years. One was a big bream that showed itself repeatedly in gin clear water. It gave a fair impression of being a double figure carp until I saw it clearly. It turned out to be my one and only double figure bream. The next two were both this year. A PB tench just shy of 8lb that jumped clear of the water as soon as it was hooked on float gear. I had a good idea from seeing it that it was going to smash my PB. I had my heart in my mouth right until I got it into the net. The most recent was my first ever salmon. It wasn't particularly big, but I knew it wasn't a dace or chublet that I was fishing for with light gear. It certainly had me wondering what on earth I'd hooked until it was close to being beaten. Strangely enough, once it hit the net, I was actually a little disappointed that it wasn't a barbel, big chub, monster grayling, or monster perch that all seemed more likely at various parts of the fight.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
My PB barbel this year. 15lb 5oz. I’ve had a lot of doubles up to 14lb 9oz but, this thing did look big and with the river carrying and extra couple of feet of water my heart was in my mouth. All I kept saying to myself was .... please don’t come off, please don’t come off. 🙄🤣🤣

Wise Owl

Account Locked
Wise owl Jnr's 45 Pounder in France, he had just set up put a Boilie on and Chucked it down the edge, he came over to help his Brother in law set up his hooklengths when he ran past me shouting yer Deaf sod my alarms screaming its head off, 20 min later 45 pound Mirror in the net.
My 169 pound Catfish in Spain, i was sat their feeling Rougher than a Bears Arse when the Rod looked like it was attached to a speedboat an hour later 169 pounder.
The last one was the one that got away at the A1 pits Road bridge, i was woken early morning by a Barbel that i only Caught a glimpse of through the Head lamp Beam, it turned in the water not even 2 foot from the net and made its escape, to say i might have panicked was a Understatement. It would have deffo been my PB.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
One was a big bream that showed itself repeatedly in gin clear water. It gave a fair impression of being a double figure carp until I saw it clearly. It turned out to be my one and only double figure bream. The next two were both this year. A PB tench just shy of 8lb that jumped clear of the water as soon as it was hooked on float gear. I had a good idea from seeing it that it was going to smash my PB. I had my heart in my mouth right until I got it into the net. The most recent was my first ever salmon. It wasn't particularly big, but I knew it wasn't a dace or chublet that I was fishing for with light gear. It certainly had me wondering what on earth I'd hooked until it was close to being beaten. Strangely enough, once it hit the net, I was actually a little disappointed that it wasn't a barbel, big chub, monster grayling, or monster perch that all seemed more likely at various parts of the fight.
Blimey those sound like proper nerve shredders!

I know the feeling with being slightly disappointed with the salmon. I thought I’d caught my first 2lb river roach back in July but it turned to by a hybrid. It’s very rare that I’m genuinely disappointed with a fish but it was completely deflating once I identified that one 😒

My PB barbel this year. 15lb 5oz. I’ve had a lot of doubles up to 14lb 9oz but, this thing did look big and with the river carrying and extra couple of feet of water my heart was in my mouth. All I kept saying to myself was .... please don’t come off, please don’t come off. 🙄🤣🤣
Incredible fish that bit heart stopping just reading about it!

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter
A thread inspired by reading @Stewie74's match report which included that always exciting first fish after blank last time out. That got me thinking about those fish you catch now and again that you are just so excited/grateful/relieved etc to see end up in the net. I'm sure everyone must have had those special fish (be they PBs, match winners, blank beaters or just a nice fish you weren't expecting or had put real time and effort into catching) that just get your heart pumping a bit more.

Two examples for me were both chub that were and are my PBs. First one was a roughly 4 pounder that I had on the feeder to beat a blank on a borderline flooded and freezing cold Hampshire Avon a couple years ago. Wasn't that fussed about it then being a PB was more that I'd spent the time and money to fish the Avon for the first time only to find it in such bad state that it would have been a relief to catch anything let alone something decent, was even followed by a couple salmon parr lol. Second one was from the Severn at highley last year. Had started the day on the feeder and had a 4 poundish barbel early on followed by plenty of nice dace and few reasonable roach before losing a certain PB dace that could have gone maybe 12oz which rather took the wind out my sails. Switched onto the float shortly after that and carried on catching nice dace and the odd roach before striking into something rather solid that I just instantly knew was a PB chub so my legs went to jelly! Can't remember the exact weight, was well over 5 but a bit shy of 5.5, but more importantly was at least over a pound over my PB and a good few pounds over any chub I'd ever caught on the float before which as a method always means more to me. Probably still my single favourite coarse fish capture to date!

Anyway enough waffle over to you guys, what fish made you sit up, pay attention and shake like a pooing dog whilst you set about landing it?!
My first ever 10lb trout at Packington on cocks close lake ,i fished in torrential rain in a boat that was half full of water in the rain . I cast to the bank , in fact i landed on the edge of the bank ,pulled my nymph into the water and within seconds had a pull ,i thought it was a small trout until it neared the boat ,then it woke up and turned into a torpedo ,what a scrap and what a day ,really high winds as well as the rain .

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Wise owl Jnr's 45 Pounder in France, he had just set up put a Boilie on and Chucked it down the edge, he came over to help his Brother in law set up his hooklengths when he ran past me shouting yer Deaf sod my alarms screaming its head off, 20 min later 45 pound Mirror in the net.
My 169 pound Catfish in Spain, i was sat their feeling Rougher than a Bears Arse when the Rod looked like it was attached to a speedboat an hour later 169 pounder.
The last one was the one that got away at the A1 pits Road bridge, i was woken early morning by a Barbel that i only Caught a glimpse of through the Head lamp Beam, it turned in the water not even 2 foot from the net and made its escape, to say i might have panicked was a Understatement. It would have deffo been my PB.
It’s like a knife through the heart isn’t it mate ? 😩😩

Wise Owl

Account Locked

By the way all through the Fight and Heart beating like a Drum Albert never Got outta Bed.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
It’s like a knife through the heart isn’t it mate ? 😩😩
I’ve never really had a heart breaking fish loss myself but did witness my grandad have one I think last year might have been the year before. He lost a decent fish and just sort of sat silently for a bit before starting fishing again. Wasn’t until we were on the way home later that he said it was roach every ounce of 2lb. Said it felt like it was his one chance of getting one slipping away!