the finished set up - Chair and Barrow

Griffo

Site Supporter
Over the last two years I've had to accept that my health isn't what it was and although you ignore it, I was starting to find excuses not to go fishing mainly because the thought of lugging all that gear out of the garage into the car and dragging it all to a peg just put me off.

So about September last year I started really thinking about not my fishing, but all the kit I was carrying, match man style competition gear around, yet I rarely enter a match these days, it's just the background I grew up in, and perhaps the influence of the lads that I see when on my local venues, and you always want the bit of kit you didn't bring type mentality.

So, starting with this:
65843067621__6D55A9D0-2492-4EFE-8BF7-016DCEAE571C.jpg

Time to downscale, box and trolley sold to some nice gents on here.
Started to look around at chairs made a few costly mistakes, I'm a big guy and thought the Preston Absolute 36 would be perfect, not the case plenty big enough, in fact way too long in the seat for me to sit down and rest my back against the back (short legs) also when playing a lump found you're on the edge of the seat and by the time you have finished the two front legs were about chin high and your ass is in the grass. Again, sold to another genuinely nice gent on here. Roll on the Big daddy deluxe recliner (did I mention I'm quite a big chap) what a revelation upright comfy and fits me well, arms help for getting up may be too easy to nod off in but that's part of the enjoyment on a warm summer's eve. It's not a light chair but certainly lighter than my box, well of course it needed modifying to work as full on set up, and again I went over the top a little but for a full day fishing I like to be organised.
IMG_3864.jpg

The seats too nice a finish to cover it in fish slime, and it's not waterproof, so the Korum covers perfect. I recycled some 19mm Penrose legs and a nufish 60 40 site tray I had along with a lot of Preston fittings a bit of drilling cutting, and pot riveting and I give you PIPER ALFER! I can leave the side tray when on short trips and just use the Kurum bait bucket bag. Site tray ok little but of weight due to the framing but I will still be using the barrow. Only need two legs and they slot right on the frame and the handle works well.
IMG_3868.jpg

And then the final part the Nash Metro small barrow, picked up for £100 that I have added a hub drive wheel from China to it, after discussion with a very helpful bunch of carp lads on Facebook, the batteries I have used give me about an hour's use on full power which is more than enough for 3 or 4 trips between charges, I did re commission my old Penrose platform, but the buggers is solid and is quite a weight this will be reserved for when I really need a platform on the Don which is a couple of time a year. also gone from roller bag bait bucket bait cooler back and large holdall to medium bait bag as a holdall and small bait bag, one 4 rod holdall does for most venues two rods a merging pole and whip (wish sometimes I could get one more made up rod in) but overall now very happy with my cut down gear and have enjoyed my fishing much more now I 'm taking less, although compared to many on here I'm still carrying the kitchen sink.

The daughter and her boyfriend testing it for load capacity and speed.
IMG_3877.jpg

The result, I have about managed to drive this into the boot of the car without the rod bag on, handles have to come off but 2-minute job, so that's the next project a ramp that does not do the comedy lift up and crack your wedding tackle as you load it. lot of tinkering and trial and error but works for me. Yes gone are the days of a rucksack waders ned and rod chasing barbel, but this will do.

Attachments

• IMG_3867.jpg
    IMG_3867.jpg
    961.8 KB · Views: 34

Griffo

Site Supporter

Steve57

Asked me to be a bit more specific about the brackets, on the right of the chair the two ripple bars are standard Preston ripple bars with 25mm round spaces onto the leg, I drilled out the two rivets in each square quick connection cap and just turned the ripple bars until they were vertical on the chair redrilled 3.5mm holes put new pot rivets in.

The side tray is fixed to two Korum any chair adaptors again with 25 mm round inserts on the chair legs, the originals come with a 5" bit of 19mm bar again pot riveted in and a 10mm clearance hole for the bolt to go through. drilled them out and put in a 7" bit on the front leg and 8" on the back leg, leaving the same 1/1/2" out the bottom of the bracket letting me lift the tray up a bit and still use the bottom of the 19mm insert for the feeder arm or any other accessory.

The Korum bowl was at a right angle, and I used a Preston round arm that I broke just cut the bend off the bowl bracket and inserted it in to the Preston round bracket, pot rivets back in as the original but now works on any adaptor and not just the Korum 19mm round one and that's it really once you get the 19mm tube on then you can use the original Kurum 19mm inserts inside a Preston 30mm insert or use the 25mm round on the 19mm square all fit in the Preston off Box 36 brackets.

Total

Site Supporter
It's a good adaption Griff and nicely thought out....:)

Over the years I've helped/modified tackle, barrows etc for the elder folk in my fishing clubs and got a great sense of enjoyment out of it. What made it much easier was having access to a fully equipped workshop.....Although the workshop has now gone so it means having to 'knife and forking it' for acceptable results....:)

Enjoy your new barrow/setup and enjoy your fishing....(y)