The Feederless Feeder technique

SimonT

Simple trick if you dont have a bait runner reel,

If ive got to turn my back on my rod for whatever reason (rummaging in my box or setting up a second rod etc) I use the bungee strapthat I use to secure gear to my trolly for transporting, one one end round a leg on my box the other hooked on the to reel shaft where it attatches to the rod, that way if a fish does happen to yank the rod off the rest the bungee will catch it and it takes a mere second to unhook in order to resume play.

unclepeas

Always engange backwind/drag/baitrunner/tie it too your box when leavnig a baited hook in the water.

[:T] We all learn the hard way!

Last edited:

Barfer

dave, a big thank you from me.
arriving at our campsite / fishery destination last saturday morning, i was greeted with the first rule - no method.
having only one pellet feeder in my bag that lost its weight on the first cast, i was wondering what to use and remembered reading about this some weeks ago.
i popped to the nearest shop to be told 'no kinder eggs', i duly found one of them 'aliens in goo' type toys which was launched in the bin after buying.

anyhow, to cut the story short:

had a lot of fun pulling these out all day..

Last edited:

Feldy

Site Supporter
Tried this today and caught a 3lb Carp on first cast, caught 3 in a few hours this afternoon, many thanks for this tip, first time I've fished non floating, trouble I had was trying to get the pellets the right consistency as a few times they fell off on cast and when i squeezed hard they stayed compact so fish couldn't bite, great fun though.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Why waste money buying a commercially made product with fancy wrapping when you can make one for free? They don't get any easier than this

It's nice to see some people have benefited from this [:T]

T1Cybernetic

Had a blast using this today [:)] Takes some messing to get the pellets right but once they are sticking properly it's all good.

Barfer

Originally posted by T1Cybernetic

Had a blast using this today [:)] Takes some messing to get the pellets right but once they are sticking properly it's all good.

buy a bag of sonubaits fibrous paste to use as a binder, i use about an eighth of a bag alongside a bag of ringers 2mm micros.
its the only feeder technique i use nowadays..

T1Cybernetic

Originally posted by smee05

Originally posted by T1Cybernetic

buy a bag of sonubaits fibrous paste to use as a binder, i use about an eighth of a bag alongside a bag of ringers 2mm micros.
its the only feeder technique i use nowadays..

I'll give it a go this week [:)] I got the mix right in the end by mixing some swimstim into it but I'll give anything a blast once!

Anglingman

Mr Ginster
Site Supporter
Pellet consistancy is the key. I do mine by using one of those plastic boxes with the clip fit lids.

Simply choose approriate size box, fill with pellet leaving about 1cm
free space. Fill with water until full. Clip lid on.

After about 5mins I normally turn whole thing upside down to help evenly distribute the water. I try to leave mine for about 30mins, at which point the pellets will have expanded but having no where to really expand too the water gets "pressed" into the pellet. It is essential to have clip fit lids or the pellets will simply expand and push the lid off of a convential box. Pellets should come out "squeezably" (is that a word ?[:p]) soft and consistant in size.

Skrettings by far the best I have found for this technique.

Ethics Man

Originally posted by Dave

Sorry to hear about your tackle, I'll add a disclaimer shortly [:D]

Don't bother about a bait runner if you are going to buy a new reel, take a look at some of the reels with the fighting drags.
They're a rear drag set up but also have a lever that you can turn up or down to increase the drag resistance or decrease it.
Set your rod up after a cast, reduce the drag down, when you get a fish on and are holding the rod increase the drag to it's optimum position

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fj3Jsvr9jgU[/youtube]

Try looking at the Shimano Exage reels. You can set the fighting drag so it's almost like a baitrunner... No more lost rods!

As for the technique - I can vouch for these - Preston cone/bait mould

http://www.maggotdrowning.com/forum/uploaded/Ethics Man/201211158392_cone.gif

...and it saves me having to explain to my mates about buying hair dye kits
[:I]

Ethics Man

Originally posted by caveman38

Bites are unmissable - you'll get a series of knocks and then a wrap-round as the fish is hooked, it's virtually self hooking, even more so if you get your hair length right - approximately the length of hook shank

I can vouch for that. I fished this method today for the first time. I had 2 rods out one in front and one at right angles up against some reeds.
Whilst rebaiting one rod the other (the reed one) just took off. I have to be honest, I didn't even see the butt go in. The guy across the bay saw the carp in mid water pulling my rod along. That was the last I saw of that rod.
Rod and reel 120 an expensive leson. Next time one rod anchored at butt.

Another solution - clip this on your rod if you are going to have your back turned for a short while...
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FISHING-M...tingGoods_FishingAcces_RL&hash=item2ec36a55b1

Barfer

Originally posted by bristolangling

Looks like a pellet cone to me, without the choice of sizes that guru give you

i have about 3 different sizes of 'eggs' that my mould is made of..

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
I've several different sizes as well and much cheaper than the Guru imitations [:D]

The problem with a lot of fishing ideas is that many people do not see the benefit of them nor would consider using them unless they had a brand label on them and were nicely packaged at some obscenely expensive cost in relation the actual cost of the product - not a dig at Guru here#

Most of the best ideas are free and simple to make, take for instance Teepee's T-Pot as a prime example, Dacron Connectors are another simple idea, easy to make and don't need fancy packaging and a brand label to own them [;)]

bettsfan

Fantastic instructions Dave, never tried this (or the pellet cone that others talk of) but willing to give it a try.

One point I would like to make if I may is the extra satisfaction from catching using your own stuff rather than production line brands! Searching the house for moulds as we speak.