The Feederless Feeder technique

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Okay, the Feederless Feeder revealed ....

Step by step instructions:

- Get a Kinder Egg or similar shaped container. I use plastic containers that gloves come in in hair dye kits

IMG-20110618-00108.jpg

- Throw away the smaller half and then using a sharp knife or junior hacksaw cut nearly all the bottom off the other half just leaving about 5mm of the rounded end on. This is your mould

IMG-20110618-00109.jpg

- On the bank you'll need the following:

> Baiting needle such as a stringer needle. You don't need a fancy doolali with a little thing on to hold the line, just a piece of fine wire with a small hook on the end
> Your main line needs to have an Arlsey Bomb type weight approx 3/4oz running freely
> Stop this with an American style snap swivel, the type that is a swivel and a clip. Tie the swivel to the mainline, the clip is what is going to take your hooklength

IMG-20110618-00115.jpg

> 2 Hooklengths - 6inches long with a hair rigged bait band (I use 3mm Garbolino ones) at one end, hook choice for me Guru QM1 size 12, and a large 1inch loop on the other end

IMG-20110618-00112.jpg

- Bait for the feederless feeder is up to you but I prefer to use 4mm Skrettings Pellets soaked until they've just started to go squeezably soft

IMG-20110618-00107.jpg

- Bait for the hair, again up to you but I use a 6mm Skrettings Pellet. What ever your choice the lighter the bait the better as when the fish hover over the Feederless Feeder's offerings and suck up you want your bait to go upwards and into their mouths not sit firmly stuck to the deck [:)]

- Tactics
... Stuff your mould with soft pellets and compress firmly

IMG-20110618-00110.jpg

... Push your hooked wire through from the end without the rounded edges

IMG-20110618-00111.jpg

... Hook the loop on one of your hooklength and pull through so the hook sits in at the end and the hair just shows

IMG-20110618-00113.jpg

IMG-20110618-00114.jpg

... remove wire hook and clip the hooklength to your main line

IMG-20110618-00116.jpg

... Important bit - push compressed pellets out of your mould

IMG-20110618-00117.jpg

At this stage if you've done it right you'll have a plug of pellets with your baited book dangling from your mainline waiting to be cast [;)]

IMG-20110618-00118.jpg

Cast gently, take up slack line, sit and wait.

Whilst your waiting prepare the second hooklength with a plug of pellets but keep the mould in place until you've connected it to your mainline.

Bites are unmissable - you'll get a series of knocks and then a wrap-round as the fish is hooked, it's virtually self hooking, even more so if you get your hair length right - approximately the length of hook shank

Rebaiting is simple, wind in, unclip hooklength, clip pre=prepared hooklength, remove Feederless Feeder and recast.
Again, whilst you're waiting re-plug the hooklength you removed and have it ready for when you wind in.

Cast to the same place initially and the fish will soon realise the splosh of the plug hitting the water means food [^]
When fish and bites dry up move around a few metres away and start again [:T]
Rewinding and casting should be no more than 10minutes between casts. If you leave it too long the smaller fish will have moved in and taken the soft freebies or there's no Carp near by.
If you get a series of knocks then nothing, chances are it was small fish and your hookbait has either been snaffled or pushed into the silt

Simple, cost effective, no nonsense, and very effective for greedy Carp and Bream

Tony Grigg, feel free to use this but don't forget it's name and where you read it first - "The Feederless Feeder, c/o Maggotdrowning.com" [;)]

Give it a try and let me know how you get on [:T]

Edit: 19/06/2011 Pictures added [:T]

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Pics to follow,I had to rush out ot a job lol

MarkC

Dave, [:W] this sounds like a variation on the "Pellet Cone".
But your using a Kinder type mould instead of a cone,I use cut off ends from pole bung, but they are available commercially now & the shape is more aerodynamic for casting.
Just "Google" Pellet Cone and tell me whether your "Feederless feeder" is similar??

MarkC

Dave, I didn't see the Pellet Cone thread on the Fishing talk section, before I posted.
Myself and my clubmates use a sliding in line flat pear lead or even a drilled ball leger if your not fishing up a shelf.
They cast so much better, coz they are more aerodynamic thus they can be lighter in weight.

Last edited:

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Pictures now added [:T]

FrankE

what sort of a bomb is that? Looks as if it's made of brass ...

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
I think it might be - I've had it for that long lol

caveman38

Bites are unmissable - you'll get a series of knocks and then a wrap-round as the fish is hooked, it's virtually self hooking, even more so if you get your hair length right - approximately the length of hook shank
I can vouch for that. I fished this method today for the first time. I had 2 rods out one in front and one at right angles up against some reeds.
Whilst rebaiting one rod the other (the reed one) just took off. I have to be honest, I didn't even see the butt go in. The guy across the bay saw the carp in mid water pulling my rod along. That was the last I saw of that rod.
Rod and reel 120 an expensive leson. Next time one rod anchored at butt.

walkerc3

Proud Geordie
Originally posted by caveman38

I can vouch for that. I fished this method today for the first time. I had 2 rods out one in front and one at right angles up against some reeds.
Whilst rebaiting one rod the other (the reed one) just took off. I have to be honest, I didn't even see the butt go in. The guy across the bay saw the carp in mid water pulling my rod along. That was the last I saw of that rod.
Rod and reel 120 an expensive leson. Next time one rod anchored at butt.
120 - Ouch expensive lesson. Fishing 2 rods did you not have a baitrunner set incase the other rod goes whilst your busy. Seems like bad angling if you didnt - poor fish lugging around some expensive accesories [:D][:D][:D]

caveman38

120 - Ouch expensive lesson. Fishing 2 rods did you not have a baitrunner set incase the other rod goes whilst your busy. Seems like bad angling if you didnt - poor fish lugging around some expensive accesories
Just got back to fishing after a 15 year lay off. No baitrunner reels just old Mitchells.
I take your point about bad angling (if you're serious) but it could of happened many years ago before baitrunners reels appeared.
I am sure the fish got shot of my size 12 barbless pretty quicfok but made sure he dumped my tackle in the midle of the pit for revenge.
I must add that my replacement will be a baitrunner reel and won't be using the other Mitchell for feeder fishing.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Sorry to hear about your tackle, I'll add a disclaimer shortly [:D]

Don't bother about a bait runner if you are going to buy a new reel, take a look at some of the reels with the fighting drags.
They're a rear drag set up but also have a lever that you can turn up or down to increase the drag resistance or decrease it.
Set your rod up after a cast, reduce the drag down, when you get a fish on and are holding the rod increase the drag to it's optimum position

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fj3Jsvr9jgU[/youtube]

Colin to the E

On the subject of rods being pulled in, I've been wary of this for some years, ever since I started going to Drayton quite a few years ago. I never had a rod in the water there without a baitrunner on or ensuring that I always held onto the rod. A mate of mine set up a pellet waggler and left it dangling over the side of the boards with a bait on. A minute later he dived in head first to get his rod back :)
A few weeks ago, fishing at Suffolk Water Park, I'd had my first cast, reached behind to get something from my bag and heard a splash. I was just too late to stop my rod heading out and down. Fortunately I had a straight lead rod set up and managed to hook my rod and bring it back (minus fish) after a few casts. It got me thinking though, I'd seen people at Drayton with rods tied to their boxes with rope so thought I'd try something similar. What I came up with works, and is easy to set up and use, I can cast without unclipping and it's easy to change from rod to rod.
If I can find out how to upload pictures I'll show in next post :)

sackup

BROWNING
Originally posted by hoghunter

Originally posted by avanti

Isnt this just a big pellet cone[?]
I might re-invent the 'Hook in the Loop' method but with a bigger loop [?]
Go for it mate, no one will actually point out that it already exists, well i might[:D]