Not open for further replies.

BrianEmb

Originally posted by lurkio

Originally posted by BrianEmb

Originally posted by pole addict

Dier was by far the best player.

Really????

What exactly did you see him do to warrant that statement?

A lot more than the rest of them put together. Controlled the game, covered when he had to and looked to pick passes. Laid a fifty yarder on to Sturridge in the first half but his first touch let him down and played a great ball over the top in the second half to Sturridge who just kicked fresh air.

Who would you say was better?

Well, here's a starting point:

"Nathaniel Clyne created seven chances for England, equalling their record for a single major tournament match since 1980..."

I agree Clyne played well but my perspective was that he disappeared in the second half and wasn't as effective when Slovakia made changes and put someone on who could actually defend a bit.
I've also checked a few online news outlets and the Daily Mail, The Mirror, BBC and The Independent all had Dier as MOTM.
It's all about opinions at the end of the day.

nejohn

Site Supporter
We have played 3 teams who have parked the bus then hoped to hit us on the break, it worked for russia and they got a point that they didn't deserve, Wales got what they deserved and slovinia again looking for a point hoping to score on the break, the format of the group stages didn't work as some teams had a stratagy of 3 points would probably get you out of the group. A draw in the knockout stages is no use to anyone as that would take you to the penalty lottery so teams will probably be more open and not have 10 men behind the ball which will give more space and hopefully more chances. But all of that said we should have been a little more creative but we have no one that was capable of delivering the killer final pass or even a decent cross (Andros Townsend sitting on a beach, in form and fairly fresh as only played a dozen games all season !!!!! Why Roy???) or if not creative we could have lumped the ball forward in the last 15mins to a big target man that would be able to come off the bench and hold the ball up or just batter the defence....Oh B**ger Andy Carrol sat on the same Beach as Andros Townsend !!
I don't get all of the hype over Wilshire a few nice touches but loses possesion quite easily and is a liability when he tries to get it back and as for Sterling I have not changed my opinion of him since the last world cup the guy just does not have a footballing brain..he may be quick and he maybe able to run at defenders and have a few tricks but he has no vision and no end product, just another media promoted show pony

pole addict

Originally posted by pole addict

Dier was by far the best player.

Really????

What exactly did you see him do to warrant that statement?

A lot more than the rest of them put together. Controlled the game, covered when he had to and looked to pick passes. Laid a fifty yarder on to Sturridge in the first half but his first touch let him down and played a great ball over the top in the second half to Sturridge who just kicked fresh air.

Who would you say was better?

I thought Clyne had a solid game and offered as much as Walker does going forward.
Llalana's work rate was 2nd to none for the 70 mins he was on.

Overall I think England flattered to deceive, though I do take heart from the people that have said we will be more successful when playing a team that doesn't park the bus.

BrianEmb

I agree Clyne played well and has certainly put some pressure on Walker. I still think Roy will go with Walker for the next game though.
I also agree that Llalana has done well. If only he could finish though.

lurkio

A little dab'll do

I agree Clyne played well but my perspective was that he disappeared in the second half and wasn't as effective when Slovakia made changes and put someone on who could actually defend a bit.
I've also checked a few online news outlets and the Daily Mail, The Mirror, BBC and The Independent all had Dier as MOTM.
It's all about opinions at the end of the day.

Totally agree about it being opinion. However, on the way home yesterday on 5Live, I think, it was started that some media outlets had Henderson as MoTM. This was greeted with a round of 'WTFs' in the car! [:D]

shang

So England vs Iceland. I'll take that over the cheating Portuguese Ronaldo (who's team only just scraped through) all day long.

[:D]

wuffie

Heard on talksport yesterday a beauty of a stat, before Monday s game Vardys last 5 shots on target for England were scored,scored,saved,score,scored.

pole addict

Originally posted by wuffie

Heard on talksport yesterday a beauty of a stat, before Monday s game Vardys last 5 shots on target for England were scored,scored,saved,score,scored.

You'll be upsetting some folk with stats like that, since Vardy doesn't play for Spurs. [;)]

BrianEmb

And then saved when we needed him to score. (From an upset Spurs fan) [:T]

Last edited:

pole addict

And then saved when we needed him to score. (From an upset Spurs fan) [:T]

Haha nice one Brian. [:D][:T]

shang

I've watched 2 out of the 3 Iceland matches and they don't half sit back but not in a park the bus kind of way so I reckon we can hit them when they have a counterattack. Maybe we should even try to have less possession and play the long ball to draw them out.

This one has Vardy and Sturridge written all over it !

Wise Owl

Disinterested Insouciant
Site Supporter
Get Rashford on a lad who wants to do well [:T]

Northantslad

'Any indications?
Just thought I would let you know my frustration levels are dropping slowly, am at around 45% now, so I should be fully recharged by about Monday night.

So please.......no red cards, penalty shoot outs, iffy decisions, or pass for 80 minutes then have to shoot in the last 10 minutes... then I should be fine if we progress.

shang

Congrats to Ireland getting through to the next round. Not bad that 'we' have 4 teams in the last 16

Scotland - eat yer hats !

[:D][:D]

kenpix

ken
Where did Ireland get all that energy - especially in those humid conditions? Great performance although it seemed a goal would never come. Hit the guiness lads!

davylad

Site Supporter
Originally posted by Wise Owl

Get Rashford on a lad who wants to do well [:T]

I couldn't agree more WO, it's not as though the others are grabbing their opportunities.

lurkio

A little dab'll do
Originally posted by kenpix

Where did Ireland get all that energy - especially in those humid conditions?

I think it was down to desire and guts.

Great to see.

willothewisp

willothewisp
Site Supporter

Great to see.
We've always punched well above our weight.......
Well mostly!
Thanks for the compliments.

lurkio

A little dab'll do
Originally posted by willothewisp

Great to see.
We've always punched well above our weight.......
Well mostly!
Thanks for the compliments.

I think ROI are often underestimated at the opponents' peril.

Whilst there are many talented individuals in the squad, they are the epitome of synergy.

I just hope Hendrick does catch too many eyes in the shop window, and that he doesn't pick up an injury. I have a feeling he has a big season ahead of him.

His performances won't have come as much of a surprise to Rams fans, but a pleasant one given the amount of last season he missed through injury.

Status
Not open for further replies.