The E A money for old rope, or is it for old line?

Status
Not open for further replies.

floats-direct

The Environment Agency and British Waterways have successfully bid for 300,000 from the Treasury's Invest to Save Budget to jointly enhance on-line facilities for Britain's boating customers.

LMAO 300,000 to develope online information for boating customers
ummm ? inland waterways mind you.

read more here
http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/news/118611?lang=_e&region=&projectstatus=&theme=&subject=&searchfor=budget&topic=&area=&month=

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Geesh

I wouldn't mind a fraction of the 300,000 imagine the fun (oh er urm) the website that you could build with that amount of resources.

Where do people or organisations get this sort of funding from?

Hang on, Letter to Mr Blair:

Dear Tony, pal, buddy.....

I am sure you are aware of the website Maggotdrowning.com - a meeting place and source of information for Coarse Anglers.
Is there any chance you could look into the country's coffers and see your way to giving me a lump of money that I can use to further enhance the site to the benefit of your voters?

Regards, Dave "

How's that, do you think we're in with a chance

Dave

Geoff P

The MOGerator
Staff member
Site Supporter
No Dave wrong approach.

"Mr Tony Babe,

Please make me a Labour MP or a Labour Councillor. I am really short of money and all the little rip offs that your cronies run would really help me improve this Web site.

With much bum kissing ass.gif

Webbo."

Now wouldn't that just work a treat.

Now thats the way to do it.
thumbsup.gif Geoff

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Excellent Geoff, have you thought about a career in public relations
lol

I'll send it off and see what response we get

Dave

Ziptrev

05/10/01 - 18/10/02
In Memoriam
OR how about!
Bambi, me ole mucker,
You know that Lord Derry pal o yours who was your boss and still employs your missus at 250k p.a.?
Well he's into 600 .00 a square inch of W-------R and we got this Geoff and Trogg, really into D--------g, who could fix him up a treat.!
If you could get Mandleson a few mill for his pad, surely a little dropsy my way would be just right and I'll get the old Woolsack a coat o paint as well!
I'll chuck in a day at Elvington too!

Oh No!!! you dont actually like the Country though do you! Not quite sure where it is either! Forget that bit! Full o dead sheep anyway!
Love
Webbo!

Ziptrev
I do NOT BELIEVE it

Edited by - Ziptrev on 08 March 2002 02:26:33 AM

Newt

'Lures Rule!!'
Zippy - you are an evil, opinionated, cynical old buzzard.

And I love it. Good stuff there.

Newt Vail

Ziptrev

05/10/01 - 18/10/02
In Memoriam
Why Thank you Newt!!
Like the Buzzard, usually sounds very close!
I guess your like me, Old Values! Believe Nepotism , like Incest, should be kept in the Family LOL

Zip Zip!

Ziptrev
I do NOT BELIEVE it

Cyprinid_boy

Living and and choosing holidays on the British canal system is currently in high demand. It is increasing X-fold each year. These two organisations promote and run these waterways thus require money to promote the pass time that creates 65% of their canal based income. The web also becomes more popular each day. Bearing these points in mind can a ask you all what this post is actually about? Sounds like a standard selfish 'we are the only people who should use the canal' post? You tell me?

Cyp.

Newt

'Lures Rule!!'
Sounds like to me they think 300K is one hell of a lot of money to "improve" web facilities. A staggeringly large sum considering what is involved.

Maybe if it were a multi-year budget for staff to keep up with things. Maybe a web designer and a researcher. Figuring that 35K per year each is a great wage to do that, we are talking about supporting the "lets update the web site" for at least 4-5 years.

6 or 8 is more likely or even longer since maintaining one site that is all content and not particularly interactive is no way a full time job for one person.

Anyone know if that figure includes buying a serious server to run the site? High bandwidth digital line rental? A large server = 20K maximum. Software to run the web site = 3000 maximum (and probably less). Dedicated T1 line - not sure. Around 1.5K per month US but I think higher over there. But do they have enough hits to call for a full T1? We would be talking in the millions per month. Lots of millions.

In fact, if they bought enough capacity and had a full time web guy, they could rent space and bandwidth for enough to pay back the initial investment so all the preceeding paragraph wouldn't apply long-term.

Now if it were for doing physical improvement to the canals/waterways, that would be a whole different story. But if the original post had it correctly, it is all web money.

Also, if a couple of organizations are making money hand over fist from canal holidays, they should be in a nice position to at least help out with a web site that will increase their profit.

Newt Vail

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
I couldn't add any more Newt.

Yes, in my opinion 300,000 is a heck of a lot of money for setting up and maintaining an 'on-line store' and if their guesstimates are correct and they will require that amount, well.....

Dave

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Dave,
I think you're in the wrong job mate! roflmao.gif

Peter. thumbsup.gif
Happiness is a rod in your hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.