The dreaded D word again

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Help, i need help,,,,

Has any of you out there have any idea as to how i will get some metal work cleaned ????????

I've cleaned the paintwork off, but i need to get into the intricate bits, its an original feature, so i dont want it damaged,

Here's the offending article.

Datafile3.jpg

Going to get a wire brush attatchment for my power drill, let that do the elbow grease,,, [;)][;)]

Thanks in advance

Dave sorry to bring the D word out again [;)][;)][;)]

catch me if u can
Andy,

Last edited:

martin.

Account Locked
hi andy
the last time i had something like that i used nitromoores(? spelling} paint remover you brush it on leave then wash it off dont know if its suitable for your actual job but it got me out of trouble

tight lines.
martin.
talk fishing flip football

G

Thanks Martin

I've got it down to the metal, all i need is to get the hard to get to places, to get the bits off, thats the problem, ermmmmm the snotty bits, [:I]

catch me if u can
Andy,

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
As martin says use Nitromors or even caustic Soda but make sure you wear protective clothing - gloves, goggles and long sleeves [:)]

The other way depending on what it is is to sandblast it

Dave

TINY

Tiny
Nitromorse is brilliant for the intricate stuff(snotty bits).Ive just used it on some iron sculptures and it worked a treat.

Andy....Staffs Angling Supplies

Beebs

It's also pretty good for burning the rubbish out of your skin. Use the xtra thick marigolds, cos it burns through thin rubber.

les middy

'Navigator'
toma

Nitromors is great:- BUT make sure you can get plenty of water
on it to wash it away any left on will eat into the metal and ruin it

les

I like work. It fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours.

G

Looks like nitromorse then lads,,,, just one more [?]. where will i get it from,,,,

catch me if u can
Andy,

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Any D(this is hurting me)I(gawd I'm in pain)Y(geesh that was sore) shop or store Andy [:D]

There are different grades depending on what you want to do. The strongest being for the removal of Varnish, then there's the Regular and finally the water washable one.
For metal go for the Regular and make sure you give it all a good rinse down afterwards with some turps before painting it.
A good tip is when youv'e got most of it off, use some on some wire wool to get rid of the little bits left.

There was also a product very similar that you could spread on and peel it off once dry along with the paint, but I'm not sure if it's still available

Now get the 'D' word orf my forum !! lol [:p]

Dave

G

My Mrs must got some today,, :)).. no ay am i touching the stuff, :-/

catch me if u can
Andy,

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Ya big wuss, I thought you were a Northerner or have you migrated from the Sarf [:D]

Dave

G

Dave i've got delicate hand i'll have you know, :-/

catch me if u can
Andy,

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Andy, seriously for a minute - DON'T use a wire brush attachment on a drill with Nitromors as it'll go everywhere and it will burn.

Just brush it on and work it in, then use wire wool to lift it off [:)]

Dave

G

Thanks for the warning Dave, i was going to use the wire brush after the stuff had been taken off mate,, i've read the distructions , LoL, on the back of the tin,

So when i have got it well and truly dry, out comes the wire brush mate,,,, but then again i could always take it out of the wall and have it shot blasted clean, when i said that to Kath, dont be silly she said, you've done a sterling job on it [;)] no need to do that, just think of the mess again, and the extra plastering you will have to do, no, just do it insitu darling [:X][:X][:X][:X].

And tell them M/Ds to stop picking on you, [B)][B)][B)]

catch me if u can
Andy,

Last edited:

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
You think you've got it bad!!!

Dians decided the tiling needs doing in the bathroom [:(]

I had the great pleasure today of discovering just how far "out" the bathroom walls are [:(]

Alan

Just cos i ain't postin, it don't mean i ain't watchin

G

Troggy, pleased i'm not the only one at the D wrd, make's ya sick dont it mate,[:0][:0].

Go on then,,, get to it, get stuck in, Dian, drag him to the bathroom, [}:)][;)]

catch me if u can
Andy,

mike s

Trade trick to make Nitromors work for longer:
When you've applied it, cover in cling film to stop it drying out.

Cumbria Angling Centre

martin.

Account Locked
alan
your bathroom like you then far out of shape i must have guessed

tight lines.
martin.
talk fishing flip football

Lid

I've been on D*Y duty the last three weeks!! It's payback time for all the fishing I did in September and October. The projects I didn't do then have got to be done now before I'm allowed out again. [:(]

At least it's winter though.

Anyways I've nearly finished building shelves and a wardrobe in an alcove in my daughter's room (only 2 years after the room was d*******d) and was hoping to get a a bit of fishing in this weekend. [8D]

But guess what, I got the cold/flu stuff and don't feel like doing a thing!! And I'm meant to be working too ....... such is life.

Maybe next week or even this afternoon if I feel better. [;)]

Lid [:)]

Wey Back

Suvern Softee!
My advice when it comes to de**at**g and other D.I.Y.
activities is to give them a lot of "coats of looking at"
before proceeding.[:D]

I also learnt from an old trawler skipper that Cormorant
droppings are stronger than Nitromors, but don't try it Andy
just take my word for it![xx(]

That looks a good job on the old fireplace, Victorian?

Cheers,
Mick

Status
Not open for further replies.