The Covid get a puppy craze

62tucker

Site Supporter
I see them all while our running. I’m forever jumping 20ft dog leads because the owner is more interested in the screen and no idea we’re the dog is
Can’t stand them long leads. No control over your dog. Someone walk a black spaniel around mine and it 10 ft in front of him. East long enough to run onto road and be knocked over. 🤯

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
I think properly training your dog is part of being a responsible dog owner Dave. Unfortunately alot of people give up when it gets hard.
Also not meaning to single anyone out but it always does seem to be the smaller breeds that are the most gobby.
Just like people really😝

dry nets

apprentice stormtrooper
Site Supporter
Can’t stand them long leads. No control over your dog. Someone walk a black spaniel around mine and it 10 ft in front of him. East long enough to run onto road and be knocked over. 🤯
Dumb ignorant people. There’s a wooden trail I run and since lockdown it’s rammed with dog walkers. There’s always been signs up saying dogs must be on leads and yet not one dog is kept on the lead. Worse is the stupid dogs that jump up at ya and the owners saying “oh he likes you” by the time it’s finish your covered in mud

PeteC

Saw so many new puppies being paraded around during the first lockdown....such cute little bundles of fluff and energy..haven't seen them since, sure do hope they are ok and the novelty hasn't worn off when the realisation that they are hard work actually kicks in...!

I've got a rescued ex racing greyhound and to be quite honest you couldn't ask for a better dog. She treats any dog other than a fellow pointy nose with complete disdain, she never leaves my side and loves coming fishing with me.....just a beautiful soul both inside and out...!

IMG_0413.JPG

Wise Owl

Account Locked
I know someone who got a Puppy for company whilst working from home, gonna be good if that goes tits up.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
They are lovely dogs mate. Not a bad bone in their body 👍

Yeah they're one of my favourite breeds. About as friendly as you can get in a dog I think. I had a job a while back and I went in and the tenant had about 5 of them, had to give them a fuss when I saw them. I'm also a pug fan, though my brothers is actually a Jug (Jack Russell cross which I think gives them better posture and breathing), very cute dogs. I had a Shih-Tzu as a kid, only dog I've had, and a good house dog though could be snappy at times if pushed, not much it can do as a small dog.

If I got a dog again it would have to be a small dog, though my parents wouldn't get another. Mates have everything from Staffies, Rottweilers, to Akitas and although less so with the Staffies which are usually well behaved, the bigger dogs can be a bit of a handful, especially the Akita, really powers towards you when you go to his house.

stikflote

Site Supporter
The next door neighbour to my brother ,had twoi racing Greyhounds, he was talking to MYbrother on front garden,
all of a sudden one the dogs got off the lead and caught my brothers cat, it didnt stand a chance killed in front of our eyes,
i was going to kill the dog and owner ,but my bro made go inside and console my sister in law ,while he sorted it with neighbour,
it didnt come to blows .
When i look back at it, it wasnt Grahams fault dogs were on a lead ,and they were taught to chase Hares ,

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
The next door neighbour to my brother ,had twoi racing Greyhounds, he was talking to MYbrother on front garden,
all of a sudden one the dogs got off the lead and caught my brothers cat, it didnt stand a chance killed in front of our eyes,
i was going to kill the dog and owner ,but my bro made go inside and console my sister in law ,while he sorted it with neighbour,
it didnt come to blows .
When i look back at it, it wasnt Grahams fault dogs were on a lead ,and they were taught to chase Hares ,

its inherant in the breed, they are not taught, they just do,

long-sight dogs of all breeds have been selectively bred by humans since the first wolf lay down by thier campfire to keep warm, to chase and kill prey

they are not the smartest of dogs, requiring little brain to perform thier given task, thus it is pure nature to them

PeteC

It honestly makes it sound that greyhounds are worse than pit bulls just listening to the anecdotal stories here....true, they will chase anything that is small and fluffy like squirrels and cats....but there again so will most dogs, just I suppose that greys can be a bit faster (if they can bothered getting up off the couch ).... in all other respects though the hounds that I've had and met and there's been a few, are the most placid and loving dogs you could ever find...I'm totally smitten with them....🤗

Pompous git

Site Supporter
Evening men, I am not much of a dog person but I have toyed with the idea of owning one. A small easy to keep hound company
for me and the missis but I suppose when the grandkids are back and causing mayhem we won`t feel so isolated {if that`s the right
word}. Also we go away a lot and nor do I fancy taking a dog on a long train journey, also dogs and my local club lakes are a no no
so I doubt if it will ever happen.

If it did I would go to a rescue type place and get an older dog, I mean I`m seventy next birthday so a pup will probably outlast me,
not being morbid just realistic.

Always fancied the idea of a sausage dog, I could make my garden secure and said pooch could come and go via a cat flap. Read
though that sausage dogs {even youngish ones} can suffer from bad backs because of the way they have been bred, Doesn`t seem
right somehow to inflict that sort of thing on a dog.

I dunno, can`t just get a dog and then get shot of it, we`ll see.

Total

Site Supporter
Evening men, I am not much of a dog person but I have toyed with the idea of owning one. A small easy to keep hound company
for me and the missis but I suppose when the grandkids are back and causing mayhem we won`t feel so isolated {if that`s the right
word}. Also we go away a lot and nor do I fancy taking a dog on a long train journey, also dogs and my local club lakes are a no no
so I doubt if it will ever happen.

If it did I would go to a rescue type place and get an older dog, I mean I`m seventy next birthday so a pup will probably outlast me,
not being morbid just realistic.

Always fancied the idea of a sausage dog, I could make my garden secure and said pooch could come and go via a cat flap. Read
though that sausage dogs {even youngish ones} can suffer from bad backs because of the way they have been bred, Doesn`t seem
right somehow to inflict that sort of thing on a dog.

I dunno, can`t just get a dog and then get shot of it, we`ll see.

Evening PG,

I'd love another dog, but I honestly couldn't give it the love, time and attention it deserves.......:(

Maesknoll

Chris
Staff member
Site Supporter
It honestly makes it sound that greyhounds are worse than pit bulls just listening to the anecdotal stories here....true, they will chase anything that is small and fluffy like squirrels and cats....but there again so will most dogs, just I suppose that greys can be a bit faster (if they can bothered getting up off the couch ).... in all other respects though the hounds that I've had and met and there's been a few, are the most placid and loving dogs you could ever find...I'm totally smitten with them....🤗
Not just Greyhounds, all sight hounds are very prey driven, they will chase anything they see as prey. Other breeds/classifications have differing prey drive levels, Terriers have it, that’s why the make good ratters, most of the guarding breeds have it and that’s what makes them trainable to do man work, it’s the prey drive that starts that off when training them.

stikflote

Site Supporter
When i was at work greyhounds had. to be muzzled and kept in the the parcel area of the HSTs
they and police dogs were only ones ,
it could well have changed now ,

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
My greyhounds (no longer with us) were very loyal and incredibly loving; almost as if they were constantly thanking us for rescuing them. But you had to use common sense when you took them out, mine were never off the lead and always muzzled. These two things are just common sense and it meant that my dogs were never a problem. The only issue was when next doors cat climbed over the fence and into my garden. The dogs, unfortunately, killed the cat. I apologised to my neighbour who, luckily, was very philosophical about it and said that he couldn't blame the dogs as they were in their own domain and his cat was the intruder. It still left a very nasty taste in my mouth though

62tucker

Site Supporter
Bloke walking 3 greyhounds just happened to be walking passed my dads house many moons ago as he pulled up in car and cat came off front step to greet him. Even in leads they killed her and owner couldn’t do nowt about it.
With me having little white dog I am wary when on beach if I see a sight dog sprinting towards hers as know 1 bit could be the end.

The Landlord

Site Supporter
Evening PG,

I'd love another dog, but I honestly couldn't give it the love, time and attention it deserves.......:(
That's exactly why we haven't got another, because of my job. Not fair on the dog & GSD's need a lot of time.
Plus - I don't think I want to go through that pain of losing one again