The cost of Match Fishing

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
There's only one thing I'm after winning on a match - @Peter 's golden nugget ;)

The rest is immaterial :D
That ends in disappointment more often than not. :p
In all seriousness though as far as I'm concerned what I spend on a match doesn't bother me, It's purely done for my enjoyment.
"The Golden Nugget" adds a bit of fun whether it is Dave's or another willing donor. ;)

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Here's a question for you all, I'm led to believe that Gambling/Pools/cash prizes isn't or wasn't allowed on French matches and that the only rewards on offer are medals and cups in most instances.. (This may be a thing of the past, so apologies if I'm wrong)
If that was all that was on offer over here how many of you would continue to fish matches?

pies

Site Supporter
Here's a question for you all, I'm led to believe that Gambling/Pools/cash prizes isn't or wasn't allowed on French matches and that the only rewards on offer are medals and cups in most instances.. (This may be a thing of the past, so apologies if I'm wrong)
If that was all that was on offer over here how many of you would continue to fish matches?
Id still go, i fish for fun not money 😀

NoCarpPlease

Site Supporter
100% yes
it’s the competition for me ... I go to work for money

rudd

Site Supporter
Dont be daft - every fisho mania winner has said its not about the money 😳

Total

Site Supporter
For me, it's always been about the bragging rights/banter....And 'yes' would happily adopt the 'French' way of medals etc...I really like the way they split up their day with lunch etc something our club have adopted over the last few years....

davylad

I was really talking about a few years back when a decent open was an 100 pegger at least, it must be even harder nowadays to win enough to break even, with some opens less than 20 pegs. Not sure of the average club match numbers, but would think it less than 20 for most.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
To be fair I struggle to take matches seriously at the best of times, much prefer to go for the company and day out than to out and out compete.

Don't get me wrong, if need be I can fish seriously, but seldom fish opens nowadays so don't really have to.

dave brittain 1

I had this discussion many years ago.

Most sponsorship deals are tackle at trade plus VAT. If you're lucky you may get groundbait or pellet thrown in at around £3 a bag.

Bait for a standard carp match is around 6 pints of pellets, if it's a method venue you may want a bag of groundbait and if you're fishing for silvers you'll need maggots/caster and groundbait. So lets say £15 in bait if you buy pellets in bulk.

Add getting to the venue and most will use a gallon or so of fuel so lets say £5 minimum.

Pools down here are £25 so there's a £40 minimum per match with some spending significantly more. 40 x 48 = £1, 920 if you fish a match a week on average. If like me you top up your hooks, floats, feeders, lines etc over the course of a year you'll spend £2,500.

Add a rod, reel, waterproofs etc in any one year and it's easy to spend £3K

If you chase Fisho, Golden Reel and you're looking at over £100 a match minimum when you add accommodation. Fish a festival and you can add £600 minimum if you're staying in accommodation.

Going back to the £25 pools take £8 minimum pegging fee out, leaving £17. Lets say the match attracts a good turn out of 40 anglers giving a total pool of £680.

4 sections by default @ £30 work out at £120 leaving a £560 total pool to pay carp and silvers. This would give a £360 / £200 split.

Pay out would be top 4 of £120, £100, £80. £60. Silvers would be £80, £70 and £50 plus 4 sections by default giving 11 anglers from 40 being paid out approximately 25% of the field which helps to maintain attendances, keeping the majority of the field happy.

The winner recoups 3 x his investment. 2nd approximately 2 x his investment, however on the reverse side of the coin the section winners haven't recouped their costs but have had a cheap days fishing.

Taking the above into account how many anglers win every third match to break even over the course of a year? Then ask how matches do they frame in or pick up their sections. A very good angler in a quality field in a good year will pick up in every third match, however if you look at top 3 placings you may be looking at 1 in 4 matches or less.

Over the years I've had some brilliant seasons however when I look back at the money aspect it was a lot easier to recover your costs in the 80's and 90's pre commercials. In those days pools were £5 or £10 with the £5 entry club matches often attracting 80 plus anglers due to their 100% pay out.

Add the monthly club opens, river championships, (often 200 pegs or more, winter leagues, (144-156 pegs) and super leagues, (80 pegs plus), and minimal pegging fees from the clubs involved, (£1-£2, often including 50p to the junior sections), and the pay outs were superb.

If you won an open or big club it was often close to a weeks wages, sometimes more, sometimes less and would cover at least 1/2 a dozen matches.

I've heard anglers quote all sorts of amounts when it comes to winning matches and how much they win in a season however the reality is that the majority of match anglers will fail to cover their costs even if they are having a very good season.

Even the top 10% make very little profit from their angling even with the help of sponsorship which simply helps towards costs particularly when chasing the dream.

The top 1% will have a retainer/salary and contract with free tackle and help towards expenses, however that is off set with promotional work, testing and development, magazine work, tackle shows etc, however now we are talking the cream of the cream and probably less than 20 anglers.

I'd also be surprised if Bob Nudds original contract with Browning has ever been bettered, now that was a masterstroke in a time when you could win a fair bit of money on the open circuit, unlike today where it's a lot more difficult to cover your costs, particularly when you throw venue experts into the equation.

Last edited:

Total

Site Supporter
.......I'd also be surprised if Bob Nudds original contract with Browning has ever been bettered, now that was a masterstroke in a time when you could win a fair bit of money on the open circuit, unlike today where it's a lot more difficult to cover your costs, particularly when you throw venue experts into the equation.
Funny you should mention the above....I asked Mr Nudd the very same question when out on a coaching day with him when he had just moved to 'Fox'....His exact words were " Mark, they made me an offer I couldn't refuse.....".......Which begs the question how much did Browning pay Bob to take him back? :unsure::whistle:

Rick123

Site Supporter
It's a hobby and your meant to enjoy it if you start to think about the money it takes the enjoyment out of it.
If you want more money go to work it pays a lot more than fishing.
Andy Bennett did it for 12 months after his accident full time, I think he won £27,000 and cleared about £12,000 after costs so us mere mortals have no chance.
Thats much less than the minimum wage, so you would have to enjoy it and have a part time job. No-one could raise a family on £12k a year I'd suggest?

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter
Me 😆

HawkerMan

Site Supporter
Thats much less than the minimum wage, so you would have to enjoy it and have a part time job. No-one could raise a family on £12k a year I'd suggest?
And there is not many anglers that could win that much in a year.
This is a good watch as Andy discusses his life and how he got where he is today.

Louis D

Site Supporter
Covering costs in a match will always be an achievement. I made a profit last year (probably the only time ever) but I only fished about 10 times due to covid and injuries. Fortunately I won £700 in a festival and a few other results meant I was in profit. The day that it becomes about the money is the day I give up.

danny_glover09

Site Supporter
When I fished matches it was the local club mainly and pools were £5. If 20 fished most out us would agree to pay top 4. Not big money at all and more to give everyone a chance. Would cost £7ish out of our seasons subs for the peg. I fished pellet mainly which didn't work out too expensive.
Now I fish mainly for bigger fish. 24 hours can cost £30 to fish. Boilies are £7-£12 a kilo. Particles work out about 50p a kilo. Seem to use far more gear fishing for big carp where as I could compete in matches with a short pole, feeder rod or waggler rod. I suppose you could take either way you do it and make it as expensive or as affordable as you want.

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter
I had this discussion many years ago.

Most sponsorship deals are tackle at trade plus VAT. If you're lucky you may get groundbait or pellet thrown in at around £3 a bag.

Bait for a standard carp match is around 6 pints of pellets, if it's a method venue you may want a bag of groundbait and if you're fishing for silvers you'll need maggots/caster and groundbait. So lets say £15 in bait if you buy pellets in bulk.

Add getting to the venue and most will use a gallon or so of fuel so lets say £5 minimum.

Pools down here are £25 so there's a £40 minimum per match with some spending significantly more. 40 x 48 = £1, 920 if you fish a match a week on average. If like me you top up your hooks, floats, feeders, lines etc over the course of a year you'll spend £2,500.

Add a rod, reel, waterproofs etc in any one year and it's easy to spend £3K

If you chase Fisho, Golden Reel and you're looking at over £100 a match minimum when you add accommodation. Fish a festival and you can add £600 minimum if you're staying in accommodation.

Going back to the £25 pools take £8 minimum pegging fee out, leaving £17. Lets say the match attracts a good turn out of 40 anglers giving a total pool of £680.

4 sections by default @ £30 work out at £120 leaving a £560 total pool to pay carp and silvers. This would give a £360 / £200 split.

Pay out would be top 4 of £120, £100, £80. £60. Silvers would be £80, £70 and £50 plus 4 sections by default giving 11 anglers from 40 being paid out approximately 25% of the field which helps to maintain attendances, keeping the majority of the field happy.

The winner recoups 3 x his investment. 2nd approximately 2 x his investment, however on the reverse side of the coin the section winners haven't recouped their costs but have had a cheap days fishing.

Taking the above into account how many anglers win every third match to break even over the course of a year? Then ask how matches do they frame in or pick up their sections. A very good angler in a quality field in a good year will pick up in every third match, however if you look at top 3 placings you may be looking at 1 in 4 matches or less.

Over the years I've had some brilliant seasons however when I look back at the money aspect it was a lot easier to recover your costs in the 80's and 90's pre commercials. In those days pools were £5 or £10 with the £5 entry club matches often attracting 80 plus anglers due to their 100% pay out.

Add the monthly club opens, river championships, (often 200 pegs or more, winter leagues, (144-156 pegs) and super leagues, (80 pegs plus), and minimal pegging fees from the clubs involved, (£1-£2, often including 50p to the junior sections), and the pay outs were superb.

If you won an open or big club it was often close to a weeks wages, sometimes more, sometimes less and would cover at least 1/2 a dozen matches.

I've heard anglers quote all sorts of amounts when it comes to winning matches and how much they win in a season however the reality is that the majority of match anglers will fail to cover their costs even if they are having a very good season.

Even the top 10% make very little profit from their angling even with the help of sponsorship which simply helps towards costs particularly when chasing the dream.

The top 1% will have a retainer/salary and contract with free tackle and help towards expenses, however that is off set with promotional work, testing and development, magazine work, tackle shows etc, however now we are talking the cream of the cream and probably less than 20 anglers.

I'd also be surprised if Bob Nudds original contract with Browning has ever been bettered, now that was a masterstroke in a time when you could win a fair bit of money on the open circuit, unlike today where it's a lot more difficult to cover your costs, particularly when you throw venue experts into the equation.
Excellent write up , its all about the fun and excitement 😀 for most . I enjoy the thrill of just getting on the bank ,even more so in matches . Its nice winning ,not just for the money but knowing youve fished well and it spurs you on even more . Thanks for the write up ,really enjoyed it.

dave brittain 1

Peter it's a 220 mile round trip for me to fish a winter match on the Wye and it can be feast or famine. It costs me around £100 in pools, bait and diesel. You'll never recover your costs but when you could potentially be sitting on 70lbs of roach and dace, it doesn't really matter as you'll be in for a day you will remember for a long time and nothing else really matters :)

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Peter it's a 220 mile round trip for me to fish a winter match on the Wye and it can be feast or famine. It costs me around £100 in pools, bait and diesel. You'll never recover your costs but when you could potentially be sitting on 70lbs of roach and dace, it doesn't really matter as you'll be in for a day you will remember for a long time and nothing else really matters :)
Spot on Dave. :upthumb: In more Normal times Dave and I will probably travel down to Alders Farm 4-5 times a season, maybe a couple more in my case. For me its a 270 mile round trip, 300+ in Dave's case, the quality of venue regular makes it very hard to frame, but given a decent draw and a favourable wind it has been known. ;) However the quality of the fishery, general atmosphere and the way that all the anglers are treated by the staff means that once some sort of normality returns I shall be returning pretty much as soon as I can. ;)