The closed face reel thread.

trotter2

If a clutch is important to you the daiwa 125m is about the best of the bunch.
It's not important to me as I backwind but if its important to you I would recommend one of these.

Plumb Up

Account Locked
Had a couple over the years but never got on with them, quite happy using my old Mitchell Match when stick float fishing.

Beck Hill

Somebody mention closed face reels?
Top row, Diawa and 4 Abus, Middle row, all Dam.
Bottom, Shakespeare
No particular order of preference. however, my 'go to' reel is the Diawa followed by one of the 3 Dam Match Winner 2's that don't seem very popular. I don't know why they don't have a following as they are an excellent reel with a superb clutch. Of the Abu's, my preference is the two with a clutch, I recently replaced the pawl in the 506, found after being lost for at least 30 years, never could get on with backwinding. The bottom reel is a vintage Shakespeare Match and now retired. It was a decent enough reel in its day but the rotor pin wears with a groove that catches the line and completely inhibits casting, All work as they should since having the spool chenille replaced with Veniards 2 or 3mm fly body chenille.

PC280594.JPG

Tennis Elbow

I have this Daiwa 120m

1640212070775.png

and this DAM CTE 135 just for nostalgia really

1640212130221.png

and I'm just waiting to collect an ABU 506M that I've got from dave the fish, yet again more for nostalgia than any other reason.

506m.jpeg
The 506 is probably the best stick float fishing reel ever designed. I still have mine but not used it in 25 years since leaving Yorkshire. Fabulous tool on the Trent, Calder, Swale etc.

I thought people who used a fixed spool reel for stick float fishing were nutters in those days🤷🏽

PS I have a blue Mitchell Match somewhere, great for the waggler but useless for the “ stick” imho.

PearTree

Calder Reborn....
Site Supporter
The 506 is probably the best stick float fishing reel ever designed. I still have mine but not used it in 25 years since leaving Yorkshire. Fabulous tool on the Trent, Calder, Swale etc.
In the early 80's it was one of the best reels available, particularly for float fishing on rivers. It did however have it's limitations and many of us switched to open faced reels as soon as decent ones became available.

Although the 501, 506 and 507 and others still have their devotees, you wouldn't see many closed faced reels on the Calder matches these days. Mine haven't been on the bank for c. 3 decades.

I'm a member of the Abu Closed Face Reels group on Facebook though. Can't beat a bit of nostalgia :)

Tennis Elbow

In the early 80's it was one of the best reels available, particularly for float fishing on rivers. It did however have it's limitations and many of us switched to open faced reels as soon as decent ones became available.

Although the 501, 506 and 507 and others still have their devotees, you wouldn't see many closed faced reels on the Calder matches these days. Mine haven't been on the bank for c. 3 decades.

I'm a member of the Abu Closed Face Reels group on Facebook though. Can't beat a bit of nostalgia :)
How is the Calder around Brighouse these days? 70-80’s great for roach, skimmers, gudgeon and carp to 6” (yes 6”) oh and the odd brown trout. Lillands, Cooper Bridge were our go to spots. Wonderful fishing in those days.

Beck Hill

Nostalgia doesnt catch fish but a closed face reel with 60yds of line loaded on correctly goes some way towards success. From a personal point of view, the fixed spool is fine for feeder, lead fishing and spinning but not a patch on a good closed face when it comes to float fishing. Not too much line on the spool will allow it to peel off smoothly as the float pulls it off progressing through the swim. Contact is instant with the fore finger trapping the line against the rotor and a touch on the handle activates the pin pick up whereas with the fixed spool the line has to be trapped and the handle turned several degrees before it closes the bale arm, its that short period between striking and the bail arm closing that puts me off. I agree the 506 is a good reel and is still very capable even considering modern advances, however, I believe the Diawa 125 is better with the old Dam Match Winner2 not far behind, even so my 506 still gets regular use. I have tried on several occasions to float fish with a fixed spool but have never felt comfortable with it.

PearTree

Calder Reborn....
Site Supporter
How is the Calder around Brighouse these days? 70-80’s great for roach, skimmers, gudgeon and carp to 6” (yes 6”) oh and the odd brown trout. Lillands, Cooper Bridge were our go to spots. Wonderful fishing in those days.
I've fished the river for over 40 years from before the Elland power station was shut down.

Sadly the Gravel Pits, Lillands and Brookfoot sections are now largely devoid of coarse fish apart from some small localised shoals of big chub. It's full of trout and grayling up there these days, far too clean for the prolific coarse fish stocks of old.

I can't say much about the Industrial, and Bream Fields sections as they don't get pegged in the matches any more, but I suspect there are still coarse fish there. The Corn Mill and Sewerage sections can still fish well if the river is in good nick with some colour and flow.

The river below Cooper Bridge and through Mirfield, Ravensthorpe, Dewsbury is where the action is nowadays with lots of roach, dace, chub, bream etc. 20lb+ usually needed to win matches, with weights up to 50lb (bream) occasionally. Best net of dace in a match was c.40lb down at Sands Lane.

PearTree

Calder Reborn....
Site Supporter
Nostalgia doesnt catch fish but a closed face reel with 60yds of line loaded on correctly goes some way towards success. From a personal point of view, the fixed spool is fine for feeder, lead fishing and spinning but not a patch on a good closed face when it comes to float fishing. Not too much line on the spool will allow it to peel off smoothly as the float pulls it off progressing through the swim. Contact is instant with the fore finger trapping the line against the rotor and a touch on the handle activates the pin pick up whereas with the fixed spool the line has to be trapped and the handle turned several degrees before it closes the bale arm, its that short period between striking and the bail arm closing that puts me off. I agree the 506 is a good reel and is still very capable even considering modern advances, however, I believe the Diawa 125 is better with the old Dam Match Winner2 not far behind, even so my 506 still gets regular use. I have tried on several occasions to float fish with a fixed spool but have never felt comfortable with it.

We'll have to agree to disagree on this one. Open face reels with automatic bail arms were the game changer for me and once I switched over to them I never went back.

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
A friend of mine bought some tackle at auction from a tackleshop that had shut down and amongst it were 4 DAM cte close face reels.
One of them has been sold, two are the same as the picture and one has a silver cowl he wants £25 each for them plus first class postage £4.
If anybody wants one as a fairly cheap entry to close face reels send me a message.

Attachments

• 2021-12-24 19.50.58.jpg
    2021-12-24 19.50.58.jpg
    206.6 KB · Views: 39

Tennis Elbow

I've fished the river for over 40 years from before the Elland power station was shut down.

Sadly the Gravel Pits, Lillands and Brookfoot sections are now largely devoid of coarse fish apart from some small localised shoals of big chub. It's full of trout and grayling up there these days, far too clean for the prolific coarse fish stocks of old.

I can't say much about the Industrial, and Bream Fields sections as they don't get pegged in the matches any more, but I suspect there are still coarse fish there. The Corn Mill and Sewerage sections can still fish well if the river is in good nick with some colour and flow.

The river below Cooper Bridge and through Mirfield, Ravensthorpe, Dewsbury is where the action is nowadays with lots of roach, dace, chub, bream etc. 20lb+ usually needed to win matches, with weights up to 50lb (bream) occasionally. Best net of dace in a match was c.40lb down at Sands Lane.
Wow, I had no idea it is like that now. Yes the gravel pits was our favourite length for booking club matches in the 70’s and 80’s. Why has it changed so much? The loss of warm water ?

Tennis Elbow

We'll have to agree to disagree on this one. Open face reels with automatic bail arms were the game changer for me and once I switched over to them I never went back.
Oddly the Mitchell Match was my go to for waggler fishing but never on the stick. I couldn’t get along with the strike into a fish on the stick as I thought the closing of the bail arm was laboriously slow compared to the 506. I still have my superb Shimano Aero GTM 4010 which I used as a back up to the 506 but still preferred the 506.
I’m now going to use the GTM for slider work in the Spring onwards.

Sam Vimes

Site Supporter
I used a DAM CTE 135/137 for the first time today. It's as quirky as most closed face reels, but I had no issues with tangling line behind the spool or bell housing and no major bedding issues were apparent. The drag was actually pretty decent and the reel is a fair bit lighter than my all metal Abus. It's a long time since I trotted with anything but a centrepin and I doubt that I'll use the DAM much unless the weather is well against me, but I did enjoy using it. A half decent chub, a trout and a couple of grayling weren't a bad result from a badly swollen river that I'd not have bothered with if I hadn't had new stuff to try for the first time.

01012022 Chub.JPG

steve533

A friend of mine bought some tackle at auction from a tackleshop that had shut down and amongst it were 4 DAM cte close face reels.
One of them has been sold, two are the same as the picture and one has a silver cowl he wants £25 each for them plus first class postage £4.
If anybody wants one as a fairly cheap entry to close face reels send me a message.
INterested in one of these - will PM you when i can. Steve

steve533

Cant PM yet as only just joined - Interested in one of these, just a few questions
Are they in good condition?
Will he take paypal - I will pay fees so he gets the full £25 + postage?