The closed face reel thread.

Griffo

Site Supporter
Keeping in line with all things woke it seems only right the minority cf reel has it's own platform.

I still regard myself as something of a novice angler but in my seven years since returning to fishing I have enjoyed revisiting reels from my youth some fifty years plus ago which included the iconic Abu 506 Mk1, having bought a few I then dabbled with the Daiwa 125m, a very different animal and more recently the Ryobi CF100 which has fast become my favourite of the three brands. Not so easy to come by so was pleased to find a near mint one on the bay a couple of years ago.

Would be interesting to read of other members preferences, anybody got a Dave Plowman Abu?

3A68771A-D828-41DB-9274-F5F6CFEE51A8.jpeg
I have the CF-100 it’s still like brand new, not sure why I got it over the Abu at the time, it was a bit cheaper, If I remember correctly, the Ryobi and Abu had single pin line pick up, and not long after I bought the CF, Abu brought out a two pin line pick up model, The Ryobi has been my go to light stick float reel on rivers like the Nidd, Wensum and the scrapyard at Newark dyke for years, 3.5Ib Bayern purlon, bronze maggots, waders and a bait apron they were the days. It’s light not a lot to go wrong with it and you can still get 3D printed spools for them on ebay from time to time.

Simon R

Site Supporter
Have you got a match or is it simply for pleasure?
Hopefully both
Heading down to Cundall in February for our annual grayling match but fancy something on the upper Swale next month - don't know where to fish though - I've had nowt but trout on recent trips to the old Leeds water around Catterick Complex - plus he tried to charge me a tenner to fish the place last time I visited.
Since Andy Scaife retired it's too hard to get hold of Richmond day-tickets on the day.

I'll probably end up on Cod or Bedale Beck again - although I won't need a long rod on either of them :p

Simon

Sam Vimes

Site Supporter
Since Andy Scaife retired it's too hard to get hold of Richmond day-tickets on the day.
The club knew it was an issue. Have a look on the website because there is now an entirely online solution.

DOGDACE

I have 2 Ryobi CF1's ( One is mint in a box) an original 507 bought in 1976 still going strong and a Ploughman 507 . Had some 501 /506's , a brown Shakespeare thing ( cannot remember the name) and a Shaky Mach closed reel which I managed to shred the gears on catching whopping dace.. I prefer the wider spool and better line lay of the 507 and Ryobi's

trotter2

The Ryobi is a good reel it's a simple backwind model which was designed around the methodology of the match lads removing the pawl out of a 507. Abu should have done the same with the new model 507. It's all that's needed.

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
Had a shakey closed face reel... awful, got rid as soon as poss... best one was the Daiwa 125M, moved it on though, to raise funds for my Ariel Match

grey

Site Supporter
As a true connoisseur of closed faced reels, it has to be a Crack-contact 400, but DAM CFM is probably the most practical to use despite its quirks.

Don't mind the Abu's either.

Can understand why some get addicted to closed face, they're far superior to open face for trotting.

Can also understand why some just don't get on with them, every closed face has its quirks.

banksy

Life Member
Site Supporter
I love Dick Walker's account of the time he was given a closed face reel to try out.
He hooked a modest carp and found he could do nothing with it.
Totally flummoxed, he resorted to handlining the fish in.
Once the carp was unhooked and released, he cut the line and threw the reel into the deepest past of the pond.
"Where it now rests, unmourned".

A long time ago I went for a day's carp fishing with a friend.
He found that he had left his favourite Mitchell 300 reel at home, so I offered him the use of my new ABU 506, which was still loaded with the original bright blue Abulon line of about 8lb BS.
He was not particularly impressed by the one-touch line release button, but cast out successfully, and placed the rod on its rest.
Almost immediately, the dough bobbin twitched, then shot up to smack into the butt ring.
He grabbed the rod as it started to arc over, and screamed
"HOW THE HELL DO I LET IT HAVE LINE?'
I told him to pull the handle back.
He did so, and the reel performed beautifully, releasing line as it should with that gentle tick - tick - tick.
He started at it in disbelief, and said:
"Eurgh!"
:(

OldTaff

Site Supporter
I love Dick Walker's account of the time he was given a closed face reel to try out.
Once the carp was unhooked and released, he cut the line and threw the reel into the deepest past of the pond.

A long time ago I went for a day's carp fishing with a friend.
He found that he had left his favourite Mitchell 300 reel at home, so I offered him the use of my new ABU 506, which was still loaded with the original bright blue Abulon line of about 8lb BS.
He was not particularly impressed by the one-touch line release button, but cast out successfully, and placed the rod on its rest.
Almost immediately, the dough bobbin twitched, then shot up to smack into the butt ring.
He grabbed the rod as it started to arc over, and screamed
"HOW THE HELL DO I LET IT HAVE LINE?'
I told him to pull the handle back.
He did so, and the reel performed beautifully, releasing line as it should with that gentle tick - tick - tick.
He started at it in disbelief, and said:
"Eurgh!"
:(
To be fair it’s horses for courses - I wouldn’t expect anyone to enjoy using a 10000 series big pit reel for trotting a 2bb stick float on a little stream either.

If there’s carp about when I’m float fishing then I’m going to be using my pin if I fancy a bit of pulse racing or a standard reel like my Abu Cardinal 55’s

banksy

Life Member
Site Supporter
To be fair it’s horses for courses - I wouldn’t expect anyone to enjoy using a 10000 series big pit reel for trotting a 2bb stick float on a little stream either.

If there’s carp about when I’m float fishing then I’m going to be using my pin if I fancy a bit of pulse racing or a standard reel like my Abu Cardinal 55’s
That's true.
Enjoy a session with smoking fingers myself!

Wood.jpg

bricon

Keeping in line with all things woke it seems only right the minority cf reel has it's own platform.

I still regard myself as something of a novice angler but in my seven years since returning to fishing I have enjoyed revisiting reels from my youth some fifty years plus ago which included the iconic Abu 506 Mk1, having bought a few I then dabbled with the Daiwa 125m, a very different animal and more recently the Ryobi CF100 which has fast become my favourite of the three brands. Not so easy to come by so was pleased to find a near mint one on the bay a couple of years ago.

Would be interesting to read of other members preferences, anybody got a Dave Plowman Abu?

3A68771A-D828-41DB-9274-F5F6CFEE51A8.jpeg
Hi I have a ryobi cf 100 when I got it I thought it was the best thing since sliced bread unfortunately at 74 don't get on the river anymore so might get a valuation and put it up for sale

DFL

Site Supporter
Hi I have a ryobi cf 100 when I got it I thought it was the best thing since sliced bread unfortunately at 74 don't get on the river anymore so might get a valuation and put it up for sale
In good Nick it should fetch good money on Ebay.

violator

I had one when I was a kid, I think it was a Shakespeare. I'm sure the front of it was like a sort of funnel and the line came out of a hole at the front.

TrickyD

Site Supporter
I'm sure Dick Walker was working on prototype reels for Olympic. They made the BM3 reel (CF) in the 70's, and I read that it was the same reel as the Shakey 2020.

Marker50

Site Supporter
Do the 506s etc not have a clutch.
Or is it not very good.
Remove pawl mod ?