The closed face reel thread.

DFL

Site Supporter
Keeping in line with all things woke it seems only right the minority cf reel has it's own platform.

I still regard myself as something of a novice angler but in my seven years since returning to fishing I have enjoyed revisiting reels from my youth some fifty years plus ago which included the iconic Abu 506 Mk1, having bought a few I then dabbled with the Daiwa 125m, a very different animal and more recently the Ryobi CF100 which has fast become my favourite of the three brands. Not so easy to come by so was pleased to find a near mint one on the bay a couple of years ago.

Would be interesting to read of other members preferences, anybody got a Dave Plowman Abu?

3A68771A-D828-41DB-9274-F5F6CFEE51A8.jpeg

Sam Vimes

Site Supporter
I have an ancient Abu 505 that I started with and two 507 Mk2 Goldmax (different variants). I haven't used any of them for years. However, I do have a bit of an itch to get either a Ryobi or a DAM (CFM/CFA/CTE), CTE135 in all black for preference. The problem is that I've yet to find a tidy enough one for a price I'm happy to pay. I only want to try one to see if they are a chunk lighter than the all metal Abus

TiggerXFM

Abu 501 is still one of my favourite reels. I used mine for trotting a lot back in the day. It did the job, but not very well. My preferred use for it now is when float fishing for tench at night. I also have the 506 and kept mine original, not removing the pawl as many seem to do to allow back winding.
My original 501 and 506 were stolen along with all my other fishing gear when I left it in the farther in laws shed. I replaced them with some clean examples, but very rarely use them now.

Sportsman

Site Supporter
I have an ABU 501, DAM CTE and a DAM CFM. The CTE is my go to reel for river float fishing and most stillwater floatfishing. Can't remember when I last used the ABU. I would like to try the Royobi, I have read good reports.

qtaran111

Site Supporter
I remember in my teens saving up to buy a Daiwa 123m. I thought it was awesome when I finally got it. It looked like something from the future compared to the clunky old hand-me-down reel I’d been using.

I also “fondly” remember getting the line internally tangled. Somehow it would go up past the chenille band on the spool, inside the rotating drum and wrap around the spindle…and it would come out nicely crinkled and greased…fun times.

Anyway I caught my first tench on that reel so will always have a soft spot for it.

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
I have this Daiwa 120m

1640212070775.png

and this DAM CTE 135 just for nostalgia really

1640212130221.png

and I'm just waiting to collect an ABU 506M that I've got from dave the fish, yet again more for nostalgia than any other reason.

506m.jpeg

stikflote

Site Supporter
Tried most of the close faced reels gave granson a gold max and a 506 just this week
i thought the best one was the Ryobi , unfortunately i dropped it when tackling down and it went
into the river ,never to be seen again