The centrepin thread....

TiggerXFM

I got out trotting wednesday, thursday and friday this week, caught grayling, trout, perch, dace, chub and barbel.
No pictures of any of them as I unhooked and released them all mid river where I was stood. The larger fish weren't even netted and never even left the water....i'd say that's way better angling practice than total, arry and the other unhooking mat police/trolls methods by a country mile 😎👍.
You mat trolls should try it if you care about your catches....ditch the mats and look after the fish 🙂👍.

OLD SCHOOL

Tbf it’s not so much modern best practice as more a case of using common sense. If you’re fishing a muddy, dusty, sandy, gravelly or platformed swim then obviously you’d use a mat but if you’ve got long thick lush wet grass or reeds then it’s really not much different putting fish on that to a mat. Fish are also fairly resilient creatures if they can take fighting against our gear, then being handled and put back (or dropped back in the case of most small fish) or stuck in a keepnet for hours with loads of others then I don’t think laying on suitable vegetation is going to put them through the mire too much. Not a thing I generally have to worry about mind you as I can usually hold what I catch in one hand anyway 😅
No problem with long lush grass but you should take a mat with you incase the grass is not long and lush,And I know many clubs that you would be asked to leave if you didn't have a mat, not only that, the mat must be there in your swim with you and not in your car

TiggerXFM

No problem with long lush grass but you should take a mat with you incase the grass is not long and lush,And I know many clubs that you would be asked to leave if you didn't have a mat, not only that, the mat must be there in your swim with you and not in your car
I take it you fish carp pools?

Carp anglers have there catches out the water longer than any other angler unless the angler is taking the fish for the pot, so they do need mats, infact, the length of time they keep the fish out of the water is cring worthy!

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Oh yeah if I don’t know what ground will be like or if the club requires one then I take one. But like how and where I fished today it’s simply not needed so is just another thing to carry. Was seed fishing for roach on the Thames and for starters I’ve never caught anything on hemp much bigger than a pound and anything I’d ever be likely to catch on it would still be small enough to unhook in the net between my legs. There is the chance of pike but I land like one a season on float gear and those I land are little jacks that again I can easily unhook in the net. Plus the swims are between squashed out between reed beds with the squashed reeds then forming like reed mats over the margins so worst case of you needed to put a fish down you could rest a fish in the net over them and they’d be partially supported by the reeds and partially the water. Of course theoretically I could catch a 15lb barbel on a grain of hemp or a tare but then I could also hook a thresher shark when fishing mackerel for bass but you got to draw a line somewhere when it comes to gearing up for a days fishing in terms of what’s likely to be caught.

OLD SCHOOL

Wrong, I dont fish carp pools, I dont fish for carp, I fish for tench in the summer but catch more carp and that is why I always take my mat ,you can get a small mat that weighs less than your sandwich's, I dont know where you fish but like I said most clubs I have ever joined say you must have a mat, they don't say you can leave your mat at home if its too heavy, off to bed now..

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
dont know where you fish but like I said most clubs I have ever joined say you must have a mat, they don't say you can leave your mat at home if its too heavy, off to bed now..
Most stillwaters require them yes but rare as rocking horse poo for a river club to require them. I just act in accordance with club rules when required and common sense as to whether I need one if not.

TiggerXFM

Wrong, I dont fish carp pools, I dont fish for carp, I fish for tench in the summer but catch more carp and that is why I always take my mat ,you can get a small mat that weighs less than your sandwich's, I dont know where you fish but like I said most clubs I have ever joined say you must have a mat, they don't say you can leave your mat at home if its too heavy, off to bed now..
Why all the carp pictures then ?

I don't take sandwitches, although, I do take a mat when I think i'll need one 🙄.

Have to say, I am fed up with obnoxious scrotes trying to ruin my centrepin reel thread by preaching about unhooking mats.
You, arry, total, richards, etc, do me a favour and steer clear of this thread 👍.

TiggerXFM

Just got back from 1 1/2 hours trotting. I knew of a spot which has a steep banking covered in tall trees that kept me in the shade until the sun came round so it wasn't bad out of the sun. I packed up before it actually got round that far as to shine on me. I had gone with the intentions of touch legering and I did try it, but my weights got snagged in rocks and I had to pull until the rotton bottom (4lb mono) holding on the weight parted. I lost three weights and decided to put a float on which did the trick. Anyhow, I had a busy hour after that catching 6 barbel, non of which left the water or even needed resting at all.
It was 28 degrees on the car thermometer when I arrived and on my way back at 5pm it read 32 degrees. Someone was just arriving with a huge holdall etc as I was going 😶.

Sam Vimes

Site Supporter
250722 Swale Barbel in hand Crop.jpg

stikflote

Site Supporter
The rivers round me are too deep to stand in the water so i cant let em go with
netting them
You have to be so lucky to have a river like that always on a shedfull
and no i dont have a unhooking matt. but i would buy one if i can find a small one