The centrepin thread....

BaldiMug

I had my first trip to the river today, how hot was it today!
The river was very low and going off it's colour and the nasty brown foam collected in large patches in some places a big percentage of the water was out of the sewage plants!
Anyhow, despite the weather and the sewage filled river I did manage to catch some fish, I even had a very nice grayling and a huge troot. I swapped between trotting the float and touch legering and caught well enough using both methods.
A few pic's from the afternoons fishing....

IMG-1492.jpg

IMG-1493.jpg

IMG-1497.jpg

IMG-1499.jpg

IMG-1500.jpg
..Any chance you could get an unhooking mat for the wellbeing of the fish!

DFL

Site Supporter
The strange thing is, anyone on here or indeed anywhere else never bats an eyelid to the care of fish caught from the sea and that’s not because many go to the pot, all mine are catch and release.
Are not all fish equal?

F48FF579-D052-4D40-BD31-270649BFE2F3.jpeg

TiggerXFM

Nice pic John!
Yeaph, your right, it's as though saltwater fish are second class 🤔.
I used to catch a lot of bass, kept one now and again but the rest went back in tip top fettle, same as all my coarse fish do 😎👍.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
The strange thing is, anyone on here or indeed anywhere else never bats an eyelid to the care of fish caught from the sea and that’s not because many go to the pot, all mine are catch and release.
Are not all fish equal?

F48FF579-D052-4D40-BD31-270649BFE2F3.jpeg
So jealous of the bass you catch especially as they’re on lures 👍

BaldiMug

Scroll on Karen....
..why, I'm only concerned about fish safety and what is generally accepted the best practice today. I mean, if you disagree, at least attempt some kind of response that is angling related as opposed to this unrelated garbage!

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
ohh OK, I thought you might want to use modern best practice as you are fishing now.
Tbf it’s not so much modern best practice as more a case of using common sense. If you’re fishing a muddy, dusty, sandy, gravelly or platformed swim then obviously you’d use a mat but if you’ve got long thick lush wet grass or reeds then it’s really not much different putting fish on that to a mat. Fish are also fairly resilient creatures if they can take fighting against our gear, then being handled and put back (or dropped back in the case of most small fish) or stuck in a keepnet for hours with loads of others then I don’t think laying on suitable vegetation is going to put them through the mire too much. Not a thing I generally have to worry about mind you as I can usually hold what I catch in one hand anyway 😅

Reuben

Site Supporter
Tbf it’s not so much modern best practice as more a case of using common sense. If you’re fishing a muddy, dusty, sandy, gravelly or platformed swim then obviously you’d use a mat but if you’ve got long thick lush wet grass or reeds then it’s really not much different putting fish on that to a mat. Fish are also fairly resilient creatures if they can take fighting against our gear, then being handled and put back (or dropped back in the case of most small fish) or stuck in a keepnet for hours with loads of others then I don’t think laying on suitable vegetation is going to put them through the mire too much. Not a thing I generally have to worry about mind you as I can usually hold what I catch in one hand anyway 😅
Absolutely agree. Sadly though, some people‘s common sense is overshadowed by their own self righteousness….

BoldBear

I’ve got no problems with sensible anglers using lush grass under their fish instead of an unhooking mat;
however I do wince when someone places a fish onto grass stubble when the grass has been cut back in the last few weeks simply because the fish can be getting grass stubble poking them in their eyes.
If you’ve ever had a grass cut then you’ll know what I mean. So be careful when you are laying your fish onto grass.

Unfortunately common sense is often missing with some anglers so unhooking mats are often specified in club and fishery rules to compensate for unthinking anglers. :unsure:

Keith

Last edited:

BoldBear

I also wince when I see a fish sliding off of an unhooking mat onto gravel which they can do if your not careful :(

Keith

TiggerXFM

I’ve got no problems with sensible anglers using lush grass under their fish instead of an unhooking mat;
however I do wince when someone places a fish onto grass stubble when the grass has been cut back in the last few weeks simply because the fish can be getting grass stubble poking them in their eyes.
If you’ve ever had a grass cut then you’ll know what I mean. So be careful when you are laying your fish onto grass.

Unfortunately common sense is often missing with some anglers so unhooking mats are often specified in club and fishery rules to compensate for unthinking anglers. :unsure:

Keith
Keith, you know I wouldn't put a fish on unsuitable ground, anyone with half a brain wouldn't put a fish on stubbly remains of an kind of undergrowth.

I bailiff for two clubs and yes, they both have an unhooking mat policy...but only if the mat is needed...common sense needs to be used. If someone is caught mistreating a fish then they will be booked at the least!

There are several people on here who use the lack of a mat in peoples pictures purely as an excuse to have a go at them. It's just an undercover way of giving someone abuse because they don't like the person.
I would say that what they do is trolling, keyboard warriors, who in real life would fill their Y fronts if they bumped into the people they troll !

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
There are several people on here who use the lack of a mat in peoples pictures purely as an excuse to have a go at them. It's just an undercover way of giving someone abuse because they don't like the person.
I would say that what they do is trolling, keyboard warriors, who in real life would fill their Y fronts if they bumped into the people they troll !
Got it in one. Guess we just have to accept that there are some odd people in this world!

TiggerXFM

I managed to get out this afternoon for a couple of hours trotting, more of a walking and undergrowth bashing sessoon than a trotting session though! The wind was a pain in the harris but the plus side of it was I think it helped to keep the horse flies away.
Anyhow, even though the river was very very low and sluggish I did managed to catch a good few dace, tiny chub, small chub and ok sized chub.
I used a tricast John Alerton 13ft match waggler rod and a 4 inch adcock stanton centrepin reel, they worked great together and i'd forgotton just how good the stanton reel is to use...

IMG-1506.jpg

IMG-1508.jpg

IMG-1507.jpg

DontKillZander

Site Supporter
dNFodTg.jpg

...this is what my trusty postie brought me this morning.

Complete set, unused like it has just left the factory.

I did pay slightly over RRP (only by special delivery + the price of a southern pint), but it's the only one I could find on the internet... battered or new, the only one, and in this unused condition I couldn't resist.

I'll keep this reel for life.

Just looking back after a hiatus from fishing and MD - and had a chuckle at this.

"I'll keep this reel for life"... SOLD!

Utmost to all those who do manage to enjoy centrepins, lords knows I tried but... nah, not for me.

I got my exact money back, being the reel it is... but the novelty of enjoying it on my desk whilst working had worn off, and in this economy I couldn't justify having 300quid in a reel I'll have never put myself through the misery of using ever again :ROFLMAO:

TiggerXFM

Just looking back after a hiatus from fishing and MD - and had a chuckle at this.

"I'll keep this reel for life"... SOLD!

Utmost to all those who do manage to enjoy centrepins, lords knows I tried but... nah, not for me.

I got my exact money back, being the reel it is... but the novelty of enjoying it on my desk whilst working had worn off, and in this economy I couldn't justify having 300quid in a reel I'll have never put myself through the misery of using ever again :ROFLMAO:

I think your experience is the same as the majority who buy a centrepin, that's why there is a merry go round of pin's on ebay lol.
At least you got your money back 👍.