The centrepin thread....

TiggerXFM

I visited a tackle shop over in manchester today and they had a couple of okuma sheffield centrepin reels in stock at a very reasnable price 😶. I already have one but couldn't stop myself from getting another one...insane I know!
My excuse for the insanity is that my one has plastic wooden looking handles and this one has black plastic handles 🙄.
If I could only have one centrepin reel I think it would be one of these.....

7-FFFB690-540-F-4212-8-D49-C7-CD09-F55365.jpg

A5-A7359-C-7-CE5-4-EEE-8-C21-1-A7-C506-C5-A80.jpg

TiggerXFM

I managed a couple of hours out on a small acre and a half club pool this afternoon.
I was targetting tincas but unfortunately they have been decimated by illegally stocked wels catfish! Anyhow, I had a few decent rudd, lost a tench at the platform edge and caught a tiddler.

IMG-1462.jpg

TiggerXFM

A few years back I wouldn't have been able to resist this reel....

What a corkin reel !

Anyone who's daft enough to buy it....i'm sure you won't regret it 😀.

Last edited:

TiggerXFM

If I had the urge to get it, I would take a gamble on it, if it wasn't as described it would go back.

TiggerXFM

I had a couple of hours after tincas this avvey, had a number of rudd and some roach and despite the lack of tench due to wels cats eating them all I managed a couple. One of them had obviously had a lucky escape from a catfish!

IMG-1463.jpg

IMG-1471.jpg

IMG-1467.jpg

IMG-1476.jpg

Shadrack

@TiggerXFM what method are you using there with the float and sliding bomb together? It’s not something I’ve seen before, how does it work?

TiggerXFM

@TiggerXFM what method are you using there with the float and sliding bomb together? It’s not something I’ve seen before, how does it work?
I was float legering, just a running lead and a float. I just used a piece of rubber on the bottom of the float. It's a great way to fish.

Shadrack

I was float legering, just a running lead and a float. I just used a piece of rubber on the bottom of the float. It's a great way to fish.
Thanks. Just watched a couple of videos, looks like an interesting method and something I’ll have to try out.

Shadrack

Bit of advice please guys. I’m looking at using a centrepin for the first time, would a Trudex be a good all rounder to get started with? Looking to try it for both trotting on a smaller river as well as potentially the Trent, and stillwater fishing.

TiggerXFM

Bit of advice please guys. I’m looking at using a centrepin for the first time, would a Trudex be a good all rounder to get started with? Looking to try it for both trotting on a smaller river as well as potentially the Trent, and stillwater fishing.
If you already have the trudex or can get one for little money then it would be ok. The down sides of the older trudex are they are small, have a narrow drum and no holes or gaps in the face plate to get your fingers in for winding back which isn't especially good for a beginner. The later models were available in 4 1/2 inch but were still a narrow drum.
If your going to go out and buy a centrepin reel then I would suggest one of the okumas, the sheffield, aventa pro are excellent reels.
That's just my opinion of course 👍.

Shadrack

If you already have the trudex or can get one for little money then it would be ok. The down sides of the older trudex are they are small, have a narrow drum and no holes or gaps in the face plate to get your fingers in for winding back which isn't especially good for a beginner. The later models were available in 4 1/2 inch but were still a narrow drum.
If your going to go out and buy a centrepin reel then I would suggest one of the okumas, the sheffield, aventa pro are excellent reels.
That's just my opinion of course 👍.
The okumas do look nice. I think I might for one of those then and see how I get on with it

fishtwit

I'm after a few opinions. I have just bought an unissued and unused J W Young Purist 2040 serial number 0007 (1994). Should I use it or keep it in its current state and buy a 2nd hand reel to fish with?

OldTaff

Site Supporter
I'm after a few opinions. I have just bought an unissued and unused J W Young Purist 2040 serial number 0007 (1994). Should I use it or keep it in its current state and buy a 2nd hand reel to fish with?
Why did you buy it?

If you bought it to fish with then fish with it, if you bought it as an investment then put it in a drawer or glass case and buy something else to fish with.

I’d use it personally.

Tinca Steve

Irregular member.
Site Supporter
With such a rare and very low number it could cost you a lot in value if you use it.
Mint antiques are very rare items.
If in the future you want to sell it then a collector will pay extra for a minter.
Buy yourself an okuma or similar to use.
IMHO.

TiggerXFM

I've had early numbered reels (including purists) and they arn't worth any more than one out of the next batch of a hundred. I would say just use it and look after it. If you look after it, even a lot of usage will not be noticeable. You could get ot out in the house to look at and drop it, or scratch in on a ring on your finger, or on watch strap etc.
At the end of the day a purist is just a mass produced ball race reel same as an okuma so will never gain value as a PW or CL reel will...just use it.
To be honest, it's pointless having it if your frightened to use it!

fishtwit

Thanks for the replies. I have always wanted a proper Youngs reel, since seeing some in a tackle shop as a youngster. I bought it to use, but just thought that as a low numbered, unused one, it might be of value in the future. However, it wasn't made to be looked at, so I will use it as was intended!

Shadrack

Bought an Okuma Aventa the other day and am awaiting delivery of that. But whilst in the shed yesterday I came across a Ron Thompson pin that I forgot I had. Bought new a couple years ago for about £10 from Fishing Republic and never used it.
So this afternoon I decided to take it out and have a go at fishing the margins using corn on the lift method. Had great fun but only landed one fish out of three hooked, definitely need some practice.

Attachments

• 404BC53A-F8FE-46DF-920E-864BEC27C133.jpeg
    404BC53A-F8FE-46DF-920E-864BEC27C133.jpeg
    769.4 KB · Views: 13
  • BBE30422-DBC5-4062-BA7D-B1A01BB8D88D.jpeg
    BBE30422-DBC5-4062-BA7D-B1A01BB8D88D.jpeg
    480.8 KB · Views: 11
  • E082EFAB-385C-4200-9D90-AE28317A16A0.jpeg
    E082EFAB-385C-4200-9D90-AE28317A16A0.jpeg
    705.4 KB · Views: 13