The centrepin thread....

TiggerXFM

I bit the bullet today and visited a still water on one of my clubs books. I used a 10ft nash scope 2.25lb test and attatched an okuma sheffield centrepin. To be honest, the fishing was so easy to what i'm used to on the river, it was like catching fish in a barrel. I had loads of carp and a fair few chub also, yet the chap just round the other side caught nothing after I arrived (he said he had caught a carp earlier). Another chap was only catching a few small roach, so I must have been doing something right. I really liked the rod and the reel worked well on it.
A few random pic's from the afternoon.....

IMG-1430.jpg

IMG-1428.jpg

IMG-1434.jpg

IMG-1427.jpg

IMG-1431.jpg

TiggerXFM

That first carp is a beautiful colour 😍

It was because of its colour that I took a quick snap of it.
I did catch a few others with unusual colours also but I was literally so busy catching fish I didn't bother taking many pics.

Bacon

Picked up an Aventa VT1002 at the weekend, very nice condition for a very reasonable price, was unsure what mono to load on it and have for now loaded some 4lb sensor, went for 50m, is this enough? Few things I read suggested not to load on too much to reduce digging in etc. Will look at some Drennan Floatfish or similar once I've had a few goes.

Reuben

Site Supporter
Nice reels! Sensor in 4lb should be fine as should 50yds if you’re not trotting too far & not expecting barbel or big chub - or biggish carp on stillwaters.

TiggerXFM

Picked up an Aventa VT1002 at the weekend, very nice condition for a very reasonable price, was unsure what mono to load on it and have for now loaded some 4lb sensor, went for 50m, is this enough? Few things I read suggested not to load on too much to reduce digging in etc. Will look at some Drennan Floatfish or similar once I've had a few goes.
The aventa reels are excellent, I like mine a lot and often use it. Regarding the best line to use I have never found any better than sensor or bayer perlon, I usually fish it straight through but if using a bottom I favour silstar matchman. The amount of line I load depends on where i'm going to be fishing, I would always load a good 20 or more extra yards of line incase you need to remove any incase it gets damaged, so if I think 50yds is enough i'll put 70yds on.
It's also advisable to keep a spare spool of line (I usually keep a 100mtr spool of perlon) in your pocket,bag or whatever for emergencies.
Regarding line stick, your aventa has a solid drum of decent width so you should not get problems with line stick.

Yeoman

I always just stick 100 yards on for easy reckoning.
No problem with line stick except when you've played something heavy from a way down.
You may need to help the next run through from time to time but that's it.

TiggerXFM

Not long back from another still water session, I used the okuma sheffield centrepin reel and my nash scope 2.25 test rod again. I had so many carp ot was silly, also had a good few chub and even a number of quite decent roach. I noticed the water was full of roach and imagine it would be well worth targetting them as i'm sure it would be possible to catch some seriously good sized ones!
Catching the carp was a let down as most of them had damaged mouths, i'm not used to catching so many fish with damaged mouths like that....not good at all !
A few pics from the session....
IMG-1442.jpg

IMG-1435.jpg

IMG-1443.jpg

IMG-1441.jpg

IMG-1440.jpg

IMG-1439.jpg

IMG-1436.jpg

Attachments

• IMG-1443.jpg
    IMG-1443.jpg
    298 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:

TiggerXFM

Blimey Ian, you’ve avoided the mat policeman today! 😊
Hahaha, couldn't give a monkeys about the mat police fool 😉. I fished the same water as the other day but a different spot where there was no grass, it was hard dirt and not fit to lay a fish on. I usually always had a mat but only use it if needed.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Hahaha, couldn't give a monkeys about the mat police fool 😉. I fished the same water as the other day but a different spot where there was no grass, it was hard dirt and not fit to lay a fish on. I usually always had a mat but only use it if needed.
That’s the common sense approach really use them where the ground is inappropriate but if it’s lush grass or reeds or soft sand or mud then not using one probably doesn’t make much difference. Not something I have to worry about very often though as I can usually hold what I catch in one hand 😂

FadingLikeDecay

That’s the common sense approach really use them where the ground is inappropriate but if it’s lush grass or reeds or soft sand or mud then not using one probably doesn’t make much difference. Not something I have to worry about very often though as I can usually hold what I catch in one hand 😂
Or in my case, not needing to worry as I was blanking every time :cry: (even though I had one with me anyway).

stikflote

Site Supporter
Those Okuma,s Sheffields are a very poplar reel i think every one who owns more that one pin
would have a sheffield