The centrepin thread....

TiggerXFM

I had a couple of hours on the river before the sun went down today, although I really wish I hadn't botherd, because I chose the worst stretch I could have to float fish due to the extra water on the river.
I was lucky to catch anything at all, infact I only caught a few small chub which did at least save a dreaded blank 😱.
The fish were all similar sized to each other, peas in a pod kind'a thing, and about the same size lol.
I used the browning sphere spliced tip rod and the youngs Atom spooled up with my usual 😉.

IMG-1232.jpg

Alantherose

Site Supporter
I had a couple of hours on the river before the sun went down today, although I really wish I hadn't botherd, because I chose the worst stretch I could have to float fish due to the extra water on the river.
I was lucky to catch anything at all, infact I only caught a few small chub which did at least save a dreaded blank 😱.
The fish were all similar sized to each other, peas in a pod kind'a thing, and about the same size lol.
I used the browning sphere spliced tip rod and the youngs Atom spooled up with my usual 😉.

IMG-1232.jpg
Oh well done Tigger, your perseverance paid off! I blanked on Monday... my favourite river stretch had a lot of water on it and after an hour I called it off and went to a still water instead (via home to pick up a waggler rod). Blanked there too so a rock hard day and I only wish I'd gone in search of Grayling on the Wharfe instead :(

Roll on Monday though and I'll be up and at 'em again :D

TiggerXFM

Oh well done Tigger, your perseverance paid off! I blanked on Monday... my favourite river stretch had a lot of water on it and after an hour I called it off ajnd went to a still water instead (via home to pick up a waggler rod). Blanked there too so a rock hard day and I only wish I'd gone in search of Grayling on the Wharfe instead :(

Roll on Monday though and I'll be up and at 'em again :D
Thanks Alan 👍.
I'm gonn'a try and get out on friday or over the weekend, the river should have dropped off by then.
I'm quite sure I could have have had some decent fish today if i'd taken a leger set up....just find legerring so boring, even when catching fish!

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Done well just to catch with the water being both so cold and still bit a high. Should be slightly easier next week I’d have thought as even though it’s not getting any warmer the levels should be ok by then and at least the temperatures will have stabilised as probably still in the shock factor stage atm after the really mild spell before this cold.

TiggerXFM

Done well just to catch with the water being both so cold and still bit a high. Should be slightly easier next week I’d have thought as even though it’s not getting any warmer the levels should be ok by then and at least the temperatures will have stabilised as proper still in the shock factor stage atm.
Yup, if the temp's have been cold for a week or so the fish may have got a little more used to them and should be feeding more readily.

Yeoman

First time out for a while, lovely day here and really warm by lunchtime, river up with a nice bit of colour but the fish weren't particularly in the mood. We managed a few Chub between us, all better than Chublets and best one going about 2 and a half....
IMG-20220114-WA0003.jpg

TiggerXFM

I had a couple of ours out on the river today chasing barbel with the float gear.....it turned out I picked the wrong stretch and didn't have enough time to go elsewhere so stuck it out. Certainly not my chosen species, but I caught 7 small grayling of about 6 to 12 ounces. The temp's were a bit to chilly for catching barbel on trotted maggots being 6.5 degrees on arrival at 2pm. I took no photos of the fish as I was stood mid river and had water lapping the top of my thight waders, plus I don't like keeping grayling out of the water as they go belly up if you look at them the wrong way.
Here's a tropy shot minus the trophy 🤣😂

tackle.jpg

reel.jpg

Alantherose

Site Supporter
I had a couple of ours out on the river today chasing barbel with the float gear.....it turned out I picked the wrong stretch and didn't have enough time to go elsewhere so stuck it out. Certainly not my chosen species, but I caught 7 small grayling of about 6 to 12 ounces. The temp's were a bit to chilly for catching barbel on trotted maggots being 6.5 degrees on arrival at 2pm. I took no photos of the fish as I was stood mid river and had water lapping the top of my thight waders, plus I don't like keeping grayling out of the water as they go belly up if you look at them the wrong way.

tackle.jpg

reel.jpg
Okuma Aventa... nice, I have one just like it :)

TiggerXFM

Okuma Aventa... nice, I have one just like it :)
Prolly the best value reel available!
I 'm not sure how long ago it was now, without going looking at the receipt in the box of the other reel I, think it was about 7yrs or maybe more since go outdoors had a sale on them to get shut of them all for 50 notes each!!
I managed to get hold of one from two different stores as the stores which did have them in only stocked one.
Two brand spankers for a ton, love it lol 😎.
The reel in the pic has been used hundreds of times and is still virtually as new, partly due to the quality build, but also due to being looked after.

Alantherose

Site Supporter
Prolly the best value reel available!
I 'm not sure how long ago it was now, without going looking at the receipt in the box of the other reel I, think it was about 7yrs or maybe more since go outdoors had a sale on them to get shut of them all for 50 notes each!!
I managed to get hold of one from two different stores as the stores which did have them in only stocked one.
Two brand spankers for a ton, love it lol 😎.
The reel in the pic has been used hundreds of times and is still virtually as new, partly due to the quality build, but also due to being looked after.
I got mine from the forum for £50 but you got a great deal there man!

qtaran111

Site Supporter

tackle.jpg

reel.jpg
What line do you have on the Okuma when trotting for Barbel?

Yeoman

It seems Okuma have pretty much given up on the UK market, with only the Sheffield available these days.
I guess the number of sales make it a waste of time for them, which is a shame.

stikflote

Site Supporter
That Okuma centrepin does sell well
I did have a Okuma Kennet but i think i left it on bank.,
because i never found it again when going through my gear

TiggerXFM

It seems Okuma have pretty much given up on the UK market, with only the Sheffield available these days.
I guess the number of sales make it a waste of time for them, which is a shame.
Looking at what is for sale I think your right, as you say, shame really.
I think the cheapo aventi and marco etc kind'a rubbish hoovered up potential sales for okuma.

Yeoman

On the subject of Okumas, my mate has lost the spool retaining knob from his Sheffield and is struggling to find a replacement.
Anyone know where he might be able to get one?

TiggerXFM

On the subject of Okumas, my mate has lost the spool retaining knob from his Sheffield and is struggling to find a replacement.
Anyone know where he might be able to get one?
Try this place....

WWW.reelvalue.co.uk
07528 196 668
Email: Fishermanjohn@gmx.co.uk
tacklemanjohn@gmail.com

The ratchet spring broken on my sheffield and I got a couple of spares from him, he was a really nice fella!
Let me know how your friend goes on, I might get one myself as a spare👍

BoldBear

I might try to get a spare (or maybe even two) for the spool retaining knob on my Okuma Sheffield as well; as I’m regularly unscrewing it to put my spare spool on and I often worry about losing it one day :confused:

Keith

Last edited: