The centrepin thread....

Sam Vimes

Site Supporter
How cold was it today! 😲😱😬.
Only been local and had had more than enough after an hour. The actual air temp's were only about 3.5 degrees but in the wind was absolutely bone chilling. Within ten minuites of starting to fish my hands were aching with cold.
3.5 degrees, you lucky sod. It didn't get above 1 degree here and it decided to rain. When it first started it was a little lumpy until it warmed up a degree. Definitely not pleasant conditions and I'm still thawing out. On the plus side, my gear didn't take much cleaning.

DFL

Site Supporter
"lumpy" not a meteorological term I'm familiar with Chris. 🙂

TiggerXFM

3.5 degrees, you lucky sod. It didn't get above 1 degree here and it decided to rain. When it first started it was a little lumpy until it warmed up a degree. Definitely not pleasant conditions and I'm still thawing out. On the plus side, my gear didn't take much cleaning.
I forgot to mention the rain, although it was only sporadic bursts and not heavy stuff. Lucky for me I was home just in time to miss the heavy rain, propper pounding down right now!
It wasn't the actual air temp today, it was the wind that did the damage.

Reuben

Site Supporter
How cold was it today! 😲😱😬.
Only been local and had had more than enough after an hour. The actual air temp's were only about 3.5 degrees but in the wind was absolutely bone chilling. Within ten minuites of starting to fish my hands were aching with cold. Anyhow, I did manage a tiddly chub followed by some decent chub before I had had enough, or should I say, before I saw some sense and walked back to the wheels on the double to try and keep the blood pumping lol.

IMG-1196.jpg

IMG-1202.jpg
Nice Bewick….

stikflote

Site Supporter
I wish you would stop showing the fish you caught from that shedful
on your river making all jealous;):D:D:D

TiggerXFM

You just need to get out and search for them, although it might not be very pleasant atm.
Yesterday wasn't enjoyable if i'm honest, it was just too cold and horrible!

stikflote

Site Supporter
Hi Tigger, i dont think the river close to me the Derwent
would produce the fish as much as you are catching

Reuben

Site Supporter
Hi Tigger, i dont think the river close to me the Derwent
would produce the fish as much as you are catching
The Derwent at Borrowash was a brilliant Winter venue when I fished it in the 90s. Lot’s of quality chub & roach on the stick. Hardly any barbel though in those days.

stikflote

Site Supporter
Its not fished very well for a number of years now .used to be able to bag up on chub
near the bridge at Borrowash but you dont get them now

TiggerXFM

Its not fished very well for a number of years now .used to be able to bag up on chub
near the bridge at Borrowash but you dont get them now
I catch a lot less fish these days, pollution on one particular river has decimated it. I have to do a lot of walking and have a quick trott through lots of swims to accumalte a few fish.
Since covid started it seems anything goes regarding dumping raw sewage etc into some rivers!
People keep blaming otters and cormorants but the damage they do is miniscule, it's pollution which is destroying the fish populations.

TiggerXFM

I hadn't used my hardy supero 11ft 6inch float rod for ages. Infact I think the last time I used it was that really hot summer we had about 3yrs back! I remember catching 8 barbel with it that day and the rod was lovely to use.
Anyhow, I took it out for the last hour or so of daylight today. I only had a few average chub but the rod was still as nice as I remember. I used the bewick reel again and it was nice to use on the hardy rod.....

IMG-1203.jpg

My gear for today, and pretty much my usual trotting gear for any day pictured below, although the rods, reels and landing nets vary......

IMG-1206.jpg

Reuben

Site Supporter
What’s your thoughts on the Bewick, Ian? Some say it’s too small & the arbour’s a bit too deep. I had a MK1 several years ago & didn’t really use it enough to appreciate it. I do like the simplistic look of them & would have another if I could.

TiggerXFM

What’s your thoughts on the Bewick, Ian? Some say it’s too small & the arbour’s a bit too deep. I had a MK1 several years ago & didn’t really use it enough to appreciate it. I do like the simplistic look of them & would have another if I could.
I have no problem with the size of the reel, or depth of the line lay Ruben. I use mine on both small and large rivers and can wind in quite quickly with it. I very much like the ratchet button and how it functions and where it's positioned....perfect imo 🙂.
It' a true pin, so no ball bearings, it's easy to clean off, I haven't realy got anything bad to say about it.
Lots of people would recommend a trudex or rapidex to someone, but, the bewick blows such reels out the water by a country mile!

Reuben

Site Supporter
I have no problem with the size of the reel, or depth of the line lay Ruben. I use mine on both small and large rivers and can wind in quite quickly with it. I very much like the ratchet button and how it functions and where it's positioned....perfect imo 🙂.
It' a true pin, so no ball bearings, it's easy to clean off, I haven't realy got anything bad to say about it.
Lots of people would recommend a trudex or rapidex to someone, but, the bewick blows such reels out the water by a country mile!
Thanks, mate. I currently own just a Trudex & it’s a good un but every time I see a Bewick I regret selling mine. I dare say one will come my way at some stage. 😎