The centrepin thread....

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
I can't play a note either... although highlight of yesterdays shopping was me playing the Smoke On The Water riff on a kids Ukelele in a cheap shop in chelmsford...🤣
Can't catch fish either... bloody freezing
20211219_103652.jpg

TiggerXFM

I had another trip to the river this avvey and even though it was only 2 degrees, fogg one minuite, and then clear skies and bright sunshine, then back to fogg again after half an hour I think I did al 'reet 🙂.
I had 6 grayling, a little tourist and four chub....

IMG-1194.jpg

IMG-1192.jpg

IMG-1163.jpg

IMG-1168.jpg

Great to get some exercise and a few fish, makes being infront of the fire surounded by dogs with a brew feel even better 😎.

Tinca Steve

Irregular member.
Site Supporter
I can't play a note either... although highlight of yesterdays shopping was me playing the Smoke On The Water riff on a kids Ukelele in a cheap shop in chelmsford...🤣
Can't catch fish either... bloody freezing
20211219_103652.jpg
Bit of a lighthouse that float @Arry, needs a bit more shot.😉😁

crusty

I had another trip to the river this avvey and even though it was only 2 degrees, fogg one minuite, and then clear skies and bright sunshine, then back to fogg again after half an hour I think I did al 'reet 🙂.
I had 6 grayling, a little tourist and four chub....

IMG-1194.jpg

IMG-1192.jpg

IMG-1163.jpg

IMG-1168.jpg

Great to get some exercise and a few fish, makes being infront of the fire surounded by dogs with a brew feel even better 😎.

I'd say that's a smolt, so not a tourist yet :D

Good fishing (y) I've always found fog to be the kiss of death.

Ian

TiggerXFM

Don't you think it's a little on the large side for a smolt at arou d 15 inches 🤔?
I'm sure I have had a few smoults which are smaller versions of yesterdays fish, maybe this is a smolt...

aug-30-seatrout.jpg

I once caught a fish which resembled a very decent sea trout and it turned out to be a spawned out salmon, a "kelt" which had returned to it' silver colour and was on it's way back to the sea.....

march-12-salmon2.jpg

crusty

Don't you think it's a little on the large side for a smolt at arou d 15 inches 🤔?
I'm sure I have had a few smoults which are smaller versions of yesterdays fish, maybe this is a smolt...

aug-30-seatrout.jpg

I once caught a fish which resembled a very decent sea trout and it turned out to be a spawned out salmon, a "kelt" which had returned to it' silver colour and was on it's way back to the sea.....

march-12-salmon2.jpg

Maybe. I've caught them up to about a foot long and called them smolts.

Ian

TiggerXFM

Maybe. I've caught them up to about a foot long and called them smolts.

Ian
Ok Ian, you could be right bud, in all honesty i'm not 100% sure lol.
If you look at the lips they do extend back beyond they eye which suggests a trout....maybe 🤔.
The tail was pretty square also, another factor which suggested a troot.
It was good fun playing it whatever it was, it spent half of the time flying through the air 😃.

Beck Hill

Did someone mention centrepins? Top row, L-R, Rapidex, Golden Eagle, Merlin, Mentor, Ikonix, Aerial.
Middle row 5 Leeds. Bottom row 2 Maxima, 1 no name. 7 true pins with the others on bearings, most get regular use depending upon river and swim to be fished. My favorite is the Grice and Young Golden Eagle which I have had since the late 70,s. no handles and a knurled, thumb warmer rim. The top row far right is a Chinese copy of the Match Aerial, it cost considerably less than the Youngs version and performs just as well as the original one I had 30 years ago, but then if any quality pin is set up and lubed correctly it will perform faultlessly. Just take the Maxima, cheap, cheerful and not very pretty but will do the job as well as something costing 10 times what I paid for them.

PC200590.JPG

Alantherose

Site Supporter
Did someone mention centrepins? Top row, L-R, Rapidex, Golden Eagle, Merlin, Mentor, Ikonix, Aerial.
Middle row 5 Leeds. Bottom row 2 Maxima, 1 no name. 7 true pins with the others on bearings, most get regular use depending upon river and swim to be fished. My favorite is the Grice and Young Golden Eagle which I have had since the late 70,s. no handles and a knurled, thumb warmer rim. The top row far right is a Chinese copy of the Match Aerial, it cost considerably less than the Youngs version and performs just as well as the original one I had 30 years ago, but then if any quality pin is set up and lubed correctly it will perform faultlessly. Just take the Maxima, cheap, cheerful and not very pretty but will do the job as well as something costing 10 times what I paid for them.

PC200590.JPG
Very nice indeed :love:

Yeoman

I'd say your fish was a sea trout Kelt, Tigger.
It won't be a Smolt as they are only around April /May time when they've silvered up before going to Sea for the first time, and they're not 15 inches, usually about 8.
The photo above the Salmon Kelt is a Brownie, they can be quite silver, particularly early in the year.

TiggerXFM

I'd say your fish was a sea trout Kelt, Tigger.
It won't be a Smolt as they are only around April /May time when they've silvered up before going to Sea for the first time, and they're not 15 inches, usually about 8.
The photo above the Salmon Kelt is a Brownie, they can be quite silver, particularly early in the year.
You may be right Yeoman, the tidlly one did look totally different to a normal brownie though.
This is a normal one with the same tiddler below for comparison....

aug-16-trout-edited-1.jpg
aug-30-seatrout.jpg

They were caught in August on the same stretch of river.

Yeoman

Ok, so your silvery one could be a school peal, as we call them (sea trout, )they'll migrate to saltwater in spring and come back in summer, they're usually between 12 and 14 inches depending on the river.
It could still be a Brownie, though, but it's a moot point as they're genetically identical!

TiggerXFM

Ok, so your silvery one could be a school peal, as we call them (sea trout, )they'll migrate to saltwater in spring and come back in summer, they're usually between 12 and 14 inches depending on the river.
It could still be a Brownie, though, but it's a moot point as they're genetically identical!
Yes, it is a bit of a strange one, as you say apparently they are all brown trout/sea trout are one in the same, but some decide to go to sea, some stay at home.
I know they have done studies on the subject but I wonder if it really is as simple as that?
It's of no relavance really, I just find it interesting 🙂👍.

Yeoman

They are an interesting species, you can also throw Slob Trout into the mix, which migrate but never get any firther than the Estuary...

TiggerXFM

They are an interesting species, you can also throw Slob Trout into the mix, which migrate but never get any firther than the Estuary...
Deffo interesting, and getting more interesting with your last post Yeoman!
You have kind'a rattled my brain a little and I do recall the term slob trout but had totally forgotton about it/them, thanks for reminding me 🙂👍.
I wonder why they never come back?....lazy slobs 😄.

TiggerXFM

How cold was it today! 😲😱😬.
Only been local and had had more than enough after an hour. The actual air temp's were only about 3.5 degrees but in the wind was absolutely bone chilling. Within ten minuites of starting to fish my hands were aching with cold. Anyhow, I did manage a tiddly chub followed by some decent chub before I had had enough, or should I say, before I saw some sense and walked back to the wheels on the double to try and keep the blood pumping lol.

IMG-1196.jpg

IMG-1202.jpg

DFL

Site Supporter
Most probably the one and only time of the year that I can almost match your catch Ian!