the carp no one wants

Status
Not open for further replies.

ada

brummie
has anyone stopped to think what is going to happen to the carp on commercial match fisheries when they outgrow their welcome? a prime example of this is drayton where in a few years they have grown from 1 pounds stock fish to 10 pounds plus, breaking poles by the boatload.I feel bearing in mind the life expectantcy of the carp, a major problem is in the making that the money chasing owners of lakes ought to give some thought to.yes you can sell a few big carp but not millions of them.I would not be surprised to see a cull of some kind in the next 8-10 years or so and the fish replaced with smaller ones .maybe they could be released into some of our rivers I'd like to see a cormorant try to eat a big carp!!

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Hi Ada,

That's a good point and one I never would have thought of, 'til now.
Carp puddles have popped up everywhere recently, some as 'genuine' fisheries and others as plain talking money making ventures especially in light of the foot & mouth where most River anglers had to move onto the stillwaters and quite a few farmers realised the potential to be made.
Eventually the carp will have to compete for food and if it is not being provided (chances are the puddles would not be able to provide it naturally) then thats when the problems will set in resulting in the fish reaching a 'maximum growth potential' far lower than naturally sustainable fisheries.
The trouble with carp is that they will also breed quickly once the water temperatures reach a steady 18oc +, therefore creating more competition for the food not to mention the oxygen levels within the water.
Once they become stressed, ultimately due to the conditions the inevitable could happen and that is a 'fish kill' with the owner finding his stock turning belly-up.
I know of one fishery that has problems with the size of the carp in it's match lake at the moment and I'm sure there will be many more.

Dave

Larry

Lazarus
hi dave ,the club i belong to has its own pool of long standing is primarily a Carp water &is not a carp puddle we have had wild common in our pool for over 40 yrs but about 10 yrs ago we had disease attack the fish &we had to bury about 2,500 carp of various size's ,what i,m trying too say if the carp aren't taken out or culled naturally,nature will find it's own way. But since then the size of the carp have increased dramatically ,we are now working with the environment agency &are doing a swopping carp for ,tench/roach/chub/gudgeon perchin their place before the same thing happens again.

Cheer's Larry

Ziptrev

05/10/01 - 18/10/02
In Memoriam
Perhaps the price will tumble as in America, to the point where waters such as Wraysbury2, famous for large carp, but in 120 acres only having 50 fish!!!, will even receive them free!

Lets hope so.

Ziptrev
I do NOT BELIEVE it

Newt

'Lures Rule!!'
Trev - you mean you think carp here are cheap to buy?

I'll have you know that they can cost as much as $0.10 per pound if you want top stock although $0.05 is more usual.

And most of the fisheries are very happy when someone is willing to take the bigguns off their hands as they have problems finding buyers once the fish get much over 10lbs and 20s are really hard for them to sell.

I mean, after all, who wants to pay as much as $2.00 for a single fish - especially a carp? icon_smile_wink.gif

Newt Vail

Ziptrev

05/10/01 - 18/10/02
In Memoriam
See What I mean peeps!!!!!
Hell Newt, 3.00 per lb, for 3 lb fish is common here!

But like they say, watch the U.S of A. and in 5 years it happens here!
But like Ada, I'm worried about when the transport ain't worth the deal!
I can visualise fish suffering!

Good Post Ada, thought provoking!

Cheers

Trev

Ziptrev
I do NOT BELIEVE it

Cyprinid_boy

The initial stages of such multi scale projects as Drayton reservoir had contingency plans set for such a problem. However, a small percentage of fish were removed 8 years ago, 3 years into the life of NEW Drayton, as there was an unusually high survival rate of small stockfish. This fish removal resulted in 450 letters of complaint regarding the total removal of fish from the reservoir; a typical anglers response. That week saw the cancellation of such contingency plans. 7 years ago Drayton grossed 100,000 a year and to date the reservoir is on the same level. Looking at this there will be no change in how this fishery is run. To suggest fish will be culled because they are too big is ludicrous. There would be approximately 80 tonnes of carp in Drayton at a value of 3.60/lb (over 600,000 of fish) so I think culling is out of the question. The demand for such sized fish is also high as people are trying to find fish to combat the threat of cormorants. I can see Drayton being the first water to offer a twenty a chuck in a few years which will also be popular. So to answer you question no fish will ever be culled, just the clientele will change as it has done over the past ten years. I find this a very interesting post as it confirms my theory of an average anglers short term realisation on fisheries. Of course the fish will grow, you keep feeding them.
To change things would mean

a) removal of all fish
b) stocking of new
c) feeding the stock
d) opening the fishery two years later with new stock (assuming the stock doesnt fail)

This would cost the owners 200,00 in revenue, 145,000 in new stock and food and a problem encouraging new people back to a virgin fishery the biggest problem. Earlswood encouraged 45 pleasures anglers a day. A disease last year killed 2% of the stock. Because the rumour was all fish had died no one came back. A year on you can catch 200lb, but only 3 anglers is the average per day. People dont return when there are other places to go. My suggestion is to use a rod not a pole.

Incidentally, the comment about removing carp, from over stocked waters is called fisheries management. Larry, I would be very interested in what deal the EA have given your club. Maybe you could e-mail me.

Cyp.

Stu

Cant drink anymore
Site Supporter
If you can have them with chips ............. sortedicon_smile_evil.gif

Stu

Status
Not open for further replies.