The Buzz of the Take

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
A Des Taylor article, always enjoy his writing, in the AT.

I'd agree with him, second most exciting part of the day for me is arriving at the venue, accessing the water, choosing your peg and setting up in anticipation. But it's difficult to beat the take. Though there's different schools of thought on 'three foot twitches', I have spoke before about how thrilling it is when Barbel fishing, after waiting for what sometimes could be hours, and suddenly the rod goes over out of the blue.

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
I'd agree too, but the 2nd biggest buzz for me is getting it in the landing net. There you are, all hyped up with the take, only to lose it half way through the fight and the 'buzz' suddenly goes out of it. But once it's in the net, you know the buzz heightens especially if it's a PB or something totally unexpected.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Actually netting a fish is usually a big relief for me. I can think back to bites I've had that were just incredible, other than the Barbel bites I talk about coming out of the blue, first cast with a helicopter rig on a new to me venue where I was expecting Roach. Tip flew round and whatever I'd hooked, turned out to be a double figure Common, stripped about 20m of line off the reel as it darted towards the middle of the lake. Completely unexpected.

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
Fully agree but for me it is somewhat specific. The biggest buzz I get is when the float buries when you are fishing a very close margin. To know that you have got carp feeding just a few feet from your platform is why I enjoy fishing this style.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Fully agree but for me it is somewhat specific. The biggest buzz I get is when the float buries when you are fishing a very close margin. To know that you have got carp feeding just a few feet from your platform is why I enjoy fishing this style.

Sometimes there can be a sight element to margin fishing for Carp, on venues shallow enough I have seen Carp move in, if not just bubbles and swirls, all adds to the excitement for me.

Stewie74

Site Supporter
Much as I love pole fishing, you can’t beat sitting there with your trap set on the hybrid/method, and out of the blue , you’re rod just bends round and keeps going, this time of year it’s an awesome buzzzz !!!
Agreed, that feeling when the rod is seemingly in mid-air before you grab it, and the sensation of weight on the other end as it goes on its first run.

Ive been mainly pole fishing since I got my new pole, but next weekend I’m getting the feeder rod out for a few hours 👍

dave brittain 1

Site Supporter
If you like the thrill of the take for me, having tried all forms of coarse fishing you can't beat this:

Davethefish

Site Supporter
Re. Carp Run Compilation
Totally ruined for me early on when I experienced Welders Flash, resulting in temporary blindness, compliments of those bright yellow Crocs !

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
When you’re mugging carp on the pole and you drop the bait in front of cruising fish, as the bait sinks , the fish goes out of sight........and all hell breaks loose 💪💪

spanky

Irregular Member
Site Supporter
Can't believe no ones mentioned floater fishing. Surely there can be few things more exhilarating then seeing the fish, then a pair of lips and then the line tightening.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I don’t really think of a float going under or a tip going round as the take as that’s just indication, the take is the literally taking of the bait so I think you only really witness the take when you are sight fishing. I don’t think much beats the simple pleasure of a float going under but watching a fish physically take a bait is right up there.

Prime examples of the take in my coarse fishing is a carp off the top on bread or pellets, the grayling and trout nipping out the weeds to grab your bait on a chalkstream then the sort of take you dont want of a pike hammering into your roach, dace etc as it breaks a rivers surface!

Most visual takes I get are on my trips to the US though. I love sneaking round backyard docks presenting baits to weary snapper and sheepshead and watching them occasionally suck it in. Then there’s rapid retrieve spoon or paddletail fishing on the flats where you watch your lure wiz along before a jack or mackerel appears out of seemingly nowhere and smashes it. Then also on the flats there’s pitching live baits, dead baits and even lures at cruising blacktips and bonnetheads, so exciting when they turn and head towards your bait!

Definitely not much beats a take. Still I think I enjoy watching a float disappear most as you just never know what’s going to be on the other end!

Yuccaman

I like fishing.
Staff member
Site Supporter
I think for me, it's the first bite of the day. That's most true when doing more specimen type fishing where you're only expecting a low number of bites in a session - definitely a hint of relief in there that you've at least vaguely got it right.