The Bridgewater Canal shocks me with a reason to keep on trying...

DontKillZander

Site Supporter
I have had to cut both trebles and a barbed hook out of a Perch throat - not an easy job with wire cutters but both swam away.

"25. The use of treble hooks in association waters except for Pike fishing or spinning is not allowed."

Well, there goes the ledgered Perch treble idea anyway :poop:

DontKillZander

Site Supporter
Have you tried a circle hook for them?
Yeah sure, got a pack or 2 from when I was throwing a Wacky Rig, I've had one on now and again during the last few sessions, I'm most confident worm hooks at the moment with barbs on the shank to keep the worms on.

I'm about to try out hair rigging the worms for ledgering, 2 worm halves, with the hair 1/3 of the way into the worm then out the side and secured with a stop, might give circles a proper go with this.

rudd

Site Supporter
Yeah sure, got a pack or 2 from when I was throwing a Wacky Rig, I've had one on now and again during the last few sessions, I'm most confident worm hooks at the moment with barbs on the shank to keep the worms on.

I'm about to try out hair rigging the worms for ledgering, 2 worm halves, with the hair 1/3 of the way into the worm then out the side and secured with a stop, might give circles a proper go with this.
Try a lasso rig.
Use needle to pull whole loop and hair through worm then use the loop on worm and tighten.

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
You may have caught plenty of fish on trebles OP but that was on a moving bait which the fish are usually hitting from behind.
This means they are unlikely to take it down which in most cases would not be a good outcome.
On a static they could easily swallow the lot and you wouldn't know until they move off
Drop the treble size for Perch and you then run the risk of deep hooking Pike if they are present.
When using prey baits we have fished single hooks for Zander for many years as the scenarios are exactly the same.
Consider looking at Zander fishing vids and scale down for Perch.