The Bridgewater Canal shocks me with a reason to keep on trying...

DontKillZander

Site Supporter
I started the day around 12:00 on Statham Pool in Lymm -
3.PNG

I'd tried Statham Pool on Thursday evening too, that's around 6 hours of blanking, I had a few bites but I don't even know if it holds any decent Perch and my confidence has been shot to pieces in recent weeks.

Today I decided to walk from Statham Pool 5mins over to the Bridgewater canal at 15:00, passing through Meadow View Fisheries as the path does - there were quite a few bivvies up which was good to see.
I slipped on my arse in the mud, in the exact same way that I did when I visited Partridge Lakes a few weeks ago, I've now walked through a commercial fishery twice in my life, and I've fell over on both occasions :LOL:

Anybody who has seen me around on here knows how much work I have put into the Bridgewater this year, particularly on lures during Spring and Summer, and now on lob worms during Autumn and inevitably into winter... and it hasn't produced a single Perch over 3 - 4oz, I've been taking trips down to the Trent and Mersey just to get a fix of some decent Perch, including my PB of 2lb'ish... but every session on the Bridgewater this year has been rock hard, proper head scratching.

So after a little walk towards Lymm Village I got few bites and found a few of the usual suspects -
4.PNG

So 20 yards further on was a bridge, I've always considered bridges to be vastly overrated personally, they've never produced for me but I stop to fish them none the less -
1.PNG

I put my bobber as close as possible to the vines hanging down the wall on the left... it's actually a good 4 - 5ft deep, bang - the most positive bite I've seen for weeks, my worm is gone and I know that wasn't the usual tiddler... I put another lob on and get it out, and to my amazement - the Bridgewater Canal FINALLY begins to show signs that maybe it does hold potential after all -
5.PNG

I don't think he's too far off a pound, and in around 200 hours on the Bridgewater this year it's by far the best I've seen from here.

I'm currently making preparations for my Pike season, Perch have given me a hard time this year and I was about to take a month or two off them, I'd certainly all but given up on the Bridgewater, but this is a massive confidence boost and I'm probably going to see if I can exploit it further in the coming weeks.

That's my 2nd biggest Perch of the year, I'm planning to head to the Dane / Holmes Chapel soon (I almost did today), I'm hoping to get a nice PB river Perch there, but as it stands I've only had 1 big fish, and now this semi-decent one, but I'm delighted with it because it's from a venue which has seemed absolutely void of anything like this all year.

Random snap of Lymm - Lower Dam in Lymm Village
2.PNG

Last edited:

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Your style of fishing seems pretty unique to me, I don't see too many big Perch hunters on the bank, so well done on a decent fish.

DontKillZander

Site Supporter
Your style of fishing seems pretty unique to me, I don't see too many big Perch hunters on the bank, so well done on a decent fish.

Yeah I think so too, I'm really happy with my Perch setup at the moment, it's a Prorex XR 9ft 5-20g and a Prorex XR 2500 RA, I've got a nice selection of bobbers (some special handmade ones too) and I use 11lb j-braid mainline, 6lb fluoro leader to a size 6 - 2 hook with massive Canadian Nightcrawlers.

Just feels like a really cool old school style to target them but with nice modern gear, really enjoying it, got a bit bored of chucking lures around.

I'm going to take the same approach with Pike this winter, I'm in the market for a David Lumb deadbait rod (liking the look of the X1).

emmaemma

Site Supporter
I used to fish Statham pool many moons ago when it was on the Lymm card. I have had perch to 2lb and saw bigger ones caught, but that was a long time ago. Best spots for the perch were under the pegs on the RH bank. I didn't particularly go to catch perch but used to have a look for them next to the bankside cover.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Very popular around here lots of people fish near exclusively for pike and perch with lures. Mainly Eastern Europeans but plenty of locals as well my cousin being one. I don’t think he’s done anything but pike and perch lure fishing for a couple years now.

Last edited:

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Very popular around here lots of people fish near exclusively for pike and perch with lures. Mainly Eastern Europeans but plenty of locals as well my cousin being one. I don’t think he’s done anything but pike and perch lure fishing for a couple years now.

It's certainly interesting, I just don't see them, not even Pike anglers, I must not be looking hard enough if they are there but then again I only fish a handful of places.

warrington63

Exiled Northerner
Site Supporter
I started the day around 12:00 on Statham Pool in Lymm -
3.PNG

I'd tried Statham Pool on Thursday evening too, that's around 6 hours of blanking, I had a few bites but I don't even know if it holds any decent Perch and my confidence has been shot to pieces in recent weeks.

Today I decided to walk from Statham Pool 5mins over to the Bridgewater canal at 15:00, passing through Meadow View Fisheries as the path does - there were quite a few bivvies up which was good to see.
I slipped on my arse in the mud, in the exact same way that I did when I visited Partridge Lakes a few weeks ago, I've now walked through a commercial fishery twice in my life, and I've fell over on both occasions :LOL:

Anybody who has seen me around on here knows how much work I have put into the Bridgewater this year, particularly on lures during Spring and Summer, and now on lob worms during Autumn and inevitably into winter... and it hasn't produced a single Perch over 3 - 4oz, I've been taking trips down to the Trent and Mersey just to get a fix of some decent Perch, including my PB of 2lb'ish... but every session on the Bridgewater this year has been rock hard, proper head scratching.

So after a little walk towards Lymm Village I got few bites and found a few of the usual suspects -
4.PNG

So 20 yards further on was a bridge, I've always considered bridges to be vastly overrated personally, they've never produced for me but I stop to fish them none the less -
1.PNG

I put my bobber as close as possible to the vines hanging down the wall on the left... it's actually a good 4 - 5ft deep, bang - the most positive bite I've seen for weeks, my worm is gone and I know that wasn't the usual tiddler... I put another lob on and get it out, and to my amazement - the Bridgewater Canal FINALLY begins to show signs that maybe it does hold potential after all -
5.PNG

I don't think he's too far off a pound, and in around 200 hours on the Bridgewater this year it's by far the best I've seen from here.

I'm currently making preparations for my Pike season, Perch have given me a hard time this year and I was about to take a month or two off them, I'd certainly all but given up on the Bridgewater, but this is a massive confidence boost and I'm probably going to see if I can exploit it further in the coming weeks.

That's my 2nd biggest Perch of the year, I'm planning to head to the Dane / Holmes Chapel soon (I almost did today), I'm hoping to get a nice PB river Perch there, but as it stands I've only had 1 big fish, and now this semi-decent one, but I'm delighted with it because it's from a venue which has seemed absolutely void of anything like this all year.

Random snap of Lymm - Lower Dam in Lymm Village
2.PNG
Be aware that WAA say no fishing under or next to bridges. That looks like Brookfield Road bridge,
Have you tried the Star Lane stretch ? Quicker to get to than Lymm village stretch,

warrington63

Exiled Northerner
Site Supporter
I used to fish Statham pool many moons ago when it was on the Lymm card. I have had perch to 2lb and saw bigger ones caught, but that was a long time ago. Best spots for the perch were under the pegs on the RH bank. I didn't particularly go to catch perch but used to have a look for them next to the bankside cover.
It's on WAA card now, last time I looked there was only the RH bank fishable,
I have had some big perch from there both before Lymm had it and the farmer charged a day ticket and when Lymm had it and i put junior and senior matches on there when both sides and top end were fishable. Some decent weights came out, plus some big pike which were not allowed in the matches.
I think bothe the bigger perch and pike have been taken for the pot.

DontKillZander

Site Supporter

That's really how I got into it, in recent years there's definitely a surge/craze of ultralight lure fishing for Perch.

You'll know yourself, I went all-in and imported JDM tackle, BFS and all that jazz, as much as I wanted to love it - I just didn't.

That's when I thought about Bobbers and lobworms, something which is far less popular but I love it, I'll usually weight it with an olivette directly below the bobber and then the rest of the rig is unweighted down to the worm, it's a method you'll see mature anglers refer to as something they "did as a boy", you can barely even buy Perch-ideal bobbers these days, I've got them all really -
Drennan do a so-so crystal one in various sizes, it's just a podgy crystal avon really, Korum to an 8g slip bobber which is awesome I've got 6 of these, and then there's the handmade ones from floatmakers on Ebay/Etsy - my favourites, and that's really about it beyond your obscure amazon chinese brands.

I'm currently thinking of a ledger rig and using trebles, I've been studying underwater footage of the Perch and they're actually quite a curious and wiley fish, they bite and spit, bite and spit, bite and spit, it's rarely a take and run - usually apart from when they're eating fish.

My theory is that maybe we can greatly increase the chances of a hook up / a successful strike by using a treble, not only as more secure way of setting such as with pike, but more to try to counter the bite and spit - assuming they'll have a more difficult time spitting the treble and actually hooking themselves.
Could easily try this on the bobber, but I think the next step for me is to try out ledgering on an optonic, for no real reason other than - all that lure fishing has really put me off making hard work of my sessions, finding some fish is one thing, but at that point - I just sitting back a bit and relaxing with the trap set, the bobber is definitely a tone down from lures but I'm quite liking the idea of going even lazier for a while.

DontKillZander

Site Supporter
It's on WAA card now, last time I looked there was only the RH bank fishable,
I have had some big perch from there both before Lymm had it and the farmer charged a day ticket and when Lymm had it and i put junior and senior matches on there when both sides and top end were fishable. Some decent weights came out, plus some big pike which were not allowed in the matches.
I think bothe the bigger perch and pike have been taken for the pot.

True, coming from Pool Lane (as opposed to Meadow View), only the left hand pegs are fishable, access to the grass pegs on the other side in front of the houses is fenced off as of last week.
The water is very high, some pegs are submerged.

Last edited:

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
In my experience the short cut to pike and perch (when you know for sure that they are there) is to get the silvers going first (or at least fish somewhere with lots of silvers) as they then lose their inhibitions and will strike much more freely.

DontKillZander

Site Supporter
Be aware that WAA say no fishing under or next to bridges. That looks like Brookfield Road bridge,
Have you tried the Star Lane stretch ? Quicker to get to than Lymm village stretch,

Well Wazza, tell Frank to put some membership money into the canal and restoring the Perch population instead of only investing in the carp venues, and I won't need to go poking around the bridges, will I? ;)

I'll be honest, from the poor state of the river venues and lack of investment, and the abysmal Bridgewater stock - if somebody from the club took issue with me fishing the bridges then I wouldn't renew the card.

Almost every angler I encounter on the Bridgewater - I slip in a subtle way of asking if they're permitted, "so are you in the club?" or "are you on the Bridgewater-only card?", it's almost always a no, but yet I've never seen a bailiff, me having a chuck near a bridge is the least of WAA's concerns, plus it's like I'm the only mug that is actually paying to do it.

Last edited:

warrington63

Exiled Northerner
Site Supporter
Well Wazza, tell Frank to put some membership money into the canal and restoring the Perch population instead of only investing in the carp venues, and I won't need to go poking around the bridges, will I? ;)

I'll be honest, from the poor state of the river venues and lack of investment, and the abysmal Bridgewater stock - if somebody from the club took issue with me fishing the bridges then I wouldn't renew the card.

Almost every angler I encounter on the Bridgewater - I slip in a subtle way of asking if they're permitted, "so are you in the club?" or "are you on the Bridgewater-only card?", it's almost always a no, but yet I've never seen a bailiff, me having a chuck near a bridge is the least of WAA's concerns, plus it's like I'm the only mug that is actually paying to do it.
I know what you mean about bailiffs, I have been in the club 58 years, Only places I have been asked for licence are Ackers Pit, regular bailiff on there because he lives near and fishes it.
Grey Mist
Bridgewater canal around 55 years ago.
I used to live in Lymm, was never off the canal 5 days out of 7 , never saw a bailiff, I told Frank I would do it, took my details and I never heard anything since, that was 30 years ago.
Lads from Legh used to have matches on the offside in Lymm in the close season that WAA had. Statham Pol was a brilliant water years ago, then went into disrepair,

warrington63

Exiled Northerner
Site Supporter
True, coming from Pool Lane (as opposed to Meadow View), only the left hand pegs are fishable, access to the grass pegs on the other side in front of the houses is fenced off as of last week.
The water is very high, some pegs are submerged.
It was always flooded when it rained, plus at one time Meadow View used to run the excess water off and that flooded Statham,until they got warned off by the EA.
There is a drain under the road at Statham Pool, the water goes into the pool on opposite side of the road, Some brilliant fish in there but not allowed to fish it. At one time a person on pool lane who was employed by the old NWWA would clear the drain and Statham would not flood.

NoCarpPlease

Site Supporter
I'm currently thinking of a ledger rig and using trebles, I've been studying underwater footage of the Perch and they're actually quite a curious and wiley fish, they bite and spit, bite and spit, bite and spit, it's rarely a take and run - usually apart from when they're eating fish.

I agree with this - even when little perch are swallowing the hook I think they are quite dainty feeders.

As a match angler - Chopped worm is not as effective or guaranteed approach on most of the waters that I fish these days - unlike 15 years ago - especially when it's cold & clear. I'll often fish a really light, slim float to minimise resistance - with a 22 and single maggot, just feeding maggots sparingly. Worm is then my "first change" if the maggot line fades.
Having said that - half or whole lobby is still the best bait for better perch over a pound.
It's worth saying that, even on productive perch venues, they are not in every peg and definitely shoal up in the winter - either near to a food source or to cover (eg. overhanging bush or reed bed)

OldTaff

Site Supporter
It’s funny but my love of catching perch stems back from childhood because every pond we fished was chock full of them & they always gave great sport. My PB is a smidge over 2lb but any size is a joy.

Now I’m teaching my son and we see loads of anglers specifically targeting perch and pike on our local free stretch, with varied success, but we still manage to catch plenty on small hooks and single maggots whilst chasing roach & bleak.

0421126D-D843-450B-9DB0-1D837D7D2130.jpeg

rudd

Site Supporter
That's really how I got into it, in recent years there's definitely a surge/craze of ultralight lure fishing for Perch.

You'll know yourself, I went all-in and imported JDM tackle, BFS and all that jazz, as much as I wanted to love it - I just didn't.

That's when I thought about Bobbers and lobworms, something which is far less popular but I love it, I'll usually weight it with an olivette directly below the bobber and then the rest of the rig is unweighted down to the worm, it's a method you'll see mature anglers refer to as something they "did as a boy", you can barely even buy Perch-ideal bobbers these days, I've got them all really -
Drennan do a so-so crystal one in various sizes, it's just a podgy crystal avon really, Korum to an 8g slip bobber which is awesome I've got 6 of these, and then there's the handmade ones from floatmakers on Ebay/Etsy - my favourites, and that's really about it beyond your obscure amazon chinese brands.

My theory is that maybe we can greatly increase the chances of a hook up / a successful strike by using a treble, not only as more secure way of setting such as with pike, but more to try to counter the bite and spit - assuming they'll have a more difficult time spitting the treble and actually hooking themselves.
Could easily try this on the bobber, but I think the next step for me is to try out ledgering on an optonic, for no real reason other than - all that lure fishing has really put me off making hard work of my sessions, finding some fish is one thing, but at that point - I just sitting back a bit and relaxing with the trap set, the bobber is definitely a tone down from lures but I'm quite liking the idea of going even lazier for a while.
Yes Perch can be delicate feeders or absolutely savage at times.
Most of the time delicate - even with lures!
Trebles for Perch - no, especially on a ledger set up, if they take a bait deep they are dead.

Floats, big Perch will spit a bait if they feel resistance, they may be taking your bait but if using old school bobbers you could be losing out as bobbers offer way to much resistance.
Insert wagglers with thinnest insert you can get away with is the way to go.

Ledgering, keep bail arm open with a lightweight drop off indicator or ultralight bobbin.
Again, any resistance and bait will be dropped.
Rigs - use a running rig with a big run rig to reduce resistance.

DontKillZander

Site Supporter
Yes Perch can be delicate feeders or absolutely savage at times.
Most of the time delicate - even with lures!
Trebles for Perch - no, especially on a ledger set up, if they take a bait deep they are dead.

Floats, big Perch will spit a bait if they feel resistance, they may be taking your bait but if using old school bobbers you could be losing out as bobbers offer way to much resistance.
Insert wagglers with thinnest insert you can get away with is the way to go.

Ledgering, keep bail arm open with a lightweight drop off indicator or ultralight bobbin.
Again, any resistance and bait will be dropped.
Rigs - use a running rig with a big run rig to reduce resistance.

Resistance, Jesus Christ not resistance.
I think for my bobber rig where I'm using an olivette directly below the bobber and then the only thing below that is my leader... I believe in this, I've got confidence in it and that's about as much thought as I want to give it, I think 4ft(example) of freeline for the very little amount that Perch to tend move when biting a bait - to the point of committing to eat the bait and being struck, is fine and that your float is barely factor at that point, I could be entirely wrong but -
I've seen so many debates and discussion on resistance when it comes to predator fishing, there's experts who believe it in and there's experts who don't -
although not an expert, I do believe in it - but only to the extent of - am I comfortable with what I'm using? If I suspect it's too resistant then I'll change it, I don't think anybody can answer this question for you because if you say a rig is too resistant then there's 2 more who will tell you it's a myth and vice versa.
It falls in amongst the open bail / baitrunner / bobbin weight / drop off debate, I think most people find success and run with it - and how they got there varies from person to person.

Not sure about the hook thing, I've caught in excess of 200 Perch this year, a good 30% of those on trebles, the Mepps has been my confidence bait this summer -
I've successfully(luckily) released deep hooked Perch on trebles every time(I think), and I've found that deep hooking with singles is far more common -
I think I've had to bonk around... 4? fish, 1 double hook, 3 singles, 0 trebles(potentially 1, but I don't "think" so).

We know Perch are prone deep hooking more than some other species, I'm not saying that you're wrong, but my experience and theory + my dads advice is that trebles are a safer hook for Perch due to prevention - rather than recovery, however some of my theory also contradicts my experience, my theory/belief is that deep hooked trebles will kill more Perch than deep hooked singles - but my experience this year is the opposite.

There's also the barbed argument... I'm constantly thinking about these things, probably way more than the average angler, and the reason is because fish care is actually my #1 priority, in any case I'm always going to be doing what I believe is giving the fish the respect and care it deserves - whilst still being able to enjoy the sport, in some cases we all do learn by error, but I'd never be intentionally reckless.

rudd

Site Supporter
Resistance, Jesus Christ not resistance.
I think for my bobber rig where I'm using an olivette directly below the bobber and then the only thing below that is my leader... I believe in this, I've got confidence in it and that's about as much thought as I want to give it, I think 4ft(example) of freeline for the very little amount that Perch to tend move when biting a bait - to the point of committing to eat the bait and being struck, is fine and that your float is barely factor at that point, I could be entirely wrong but -
I've seen so many debates and discussion on resistance when it comes to predator fishing, there's experts who believe it in and there's experts who don't -
although not an expert, I do believe in it - but only to the extent of - am I comfortable with what I'm using? If I suspect it's too resistant then I'll change it, I don't think anybody can answer this question for you because if you say a rig is too resistant then there's 2 more who will tell you it's a myth and vice versa.
It falls in amongst the open bail / baitrunner / bobbin weight / drop off debate, I think most people find success and run with it - and how they got there varies from person to person.

Not sure about the hook thing, I've caught in excess of 200 Perch this year, a good 30% of those on trebles, the Mepps has been my confidence bait this summer -
I've successfully(luckily) released deep hooked Perch on trebles every time(I think), and I've found that deep hooking with singles is far more common -
I think I've had to bonk around... 4? fish, 1 double hook, 3 singles, 0 trebles(potentially 1, but I don't "think" so).

We know Perch are prone deep hooking more than some other species, I'm not saying that you're wrong, but my experience and theory + my dads advice is that trebles are a safer hook for Perch due to prevention - rather than recovery, however some of my theory also contradicts my experience, my theory/belief is that deep hooked trebles will kill more Perch than deep hooked singles - but my experience this year is the opposite.

There's also the barbed argument... I'm constantly thinking about these things, probably way more than the average angler, and the reason is because fish care is actually my #1 priority, in any case I'm always going to be doing what I believe is giving the fish the respect and care it deserves - whilst still being able to enjoy the sport, in some cases we all do learn by error, but I'd never be intentionally reckless.
I have had to cut both trebles and a barbed hook out of a Perch throat - not an easy job with wire cutters but both swam away.