The Bills have been Paid :-)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Well everyone, I've just paid the invoice for this coming year's hosting so it looks like we're here to stay for yet another year [:)]

There goes my reputation of being a tight ar*ed Yorkshire Mun, lol

Hang on a mo - nope can't do it, I'll never give up my Countynationality [:D] - on the bottom-left of the forum is a little banner. Check this out on occasion, and pay one or two of the sites a visit and if you buy something even better as it'll help off-set the costs of running MD's [:D]

Right I'm off to go stick some more envelopes, bag some tights and fold 10,000 leaflets [:D] - oh and don't tell the missus [;)]

Dave Datafile2.gif

esox.20

04/11/01 - 12/10/15
In Memoriam
[:D] [:D] Does this mean Daves now the hostess with the mostess? [:D]

chill out go fishing

TINY

Tiny
If hes playing with tights,its a distinct possibility.

Andy.....Staffs Angling Supplies

Lid

Dave, if you don't mind me asking do you pay this out of the goodness of your heart, or are you able to raise money somehow from the MD web-site?

Lid [:)]

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Hi Leighton,

It's no secret. The website started life back in December 2000 as a bit of a spoof as I had a project to do for a friend and a Building company that had to be done using Microsoft FrontPage, of which I had no experience in.
Html, Dreamweaver, raw coding, yep but FPage no

However once I had got used to the software, and finished the project, I was left with the basics of fishing site so rather than just delete it I decided to work on it further and use the rest of my knowledge to build it up.

Then came the name, have you ever tried registering a fishing related domain name, they are impossible to find unless you want something with a load of underscores, totally irrelevant or long winded [:D]

Maggotdrowning - it was a name that I often used, slang for coarse fishing and available, so Maggotdrowning.com was 'born'
On the 12th February 2001 it was uploaded to the server, and it has grown from thereon.

The website was never mean't to be a serious 'you must do this...' type of fishing site, just one where anglers can get together, share their knoweledge and have a laugh with likeminded people, oh and Trogg [:D]
And it seems to have filled that niche becoming busier all the time.
The present forum was added to replace a rather simpler one in September 2001 and has been modified, upgraded and modified further since and this too has led to it's increasing popularity.

And all along the site keeps growing (bit like Stu [:D])

Getting back to the original question, the runing costs are met to some degree from advertising, the sale of T-Shirts, Fleeces, etc, a few affiliate sites such as Amazon and Black Star but not all costs.
It is expensive to maintain but then again it's a hobby (chuffing time consuming one lol) and don't all hobbies cost a bit?

I've seen other sites that have expensed themselves to the hilt and gone under as a result or struggle to survive, but being frugal [:p], I'm always on the look out to keep the costs under control and to a minumum and if it cost that little bit more, I'll just take it out of the missus's housekeeping [:D][8D][B)]

In all of this the biggest value to me is the enjoyment that I get out of it - so what the heck, lol [:eek:)]

One thing I would like to add though is that in order to maintain the high standards of the site and the forum, I depend on three things: the support that I get form the Tekkies (cheers fellas), the excellent help of Stu, Peter and Alan who keep me out of trouble, and yourselves - the site users/members

Dave

TINY

Tiny
The site is a credit to all of your work.
How Alan keeps you out of trouble is beyond me though.
Seriously though,WELL DONE!!! to all involved at the iffy end of the stick.

Andy

Thats got to hurt!!!

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Dave

One question though, is the site worth the criminal record??

I mean it can't look good for you can it, caught standing on a street corner at your age [:p]

Andy

You know me mate, non vindictive, non violent, sweet, shy, retireing type who doesn't believe in revenge & wouldn't harm a fly (a maggot yes but not a fly)

So really i don't do a lot in the way of keeping Dave out of trouble most of the posters on here are good people but as in everything you still get the odd ars*hole who can't help themselves & have to get abusive.

When that happens depending on where they are either Stu (North), Peter (south) or myself (midlands) could always pop round to have a "word" (then again Stu will travel anywhere if it means a good ol scrap) [:D] LOL

Alan

Just cos i ain't postin, it don't mean i ain't watchin

martin.

Account Locked
am i safe in the east then

tight lines.
martin.
talk fishing flip football

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Nah sorry Martin, take a look at Tony Keelings pages in the AM, i sorta cover the same area myself [:D]

Alan

martin.

Account Locked
ill be mentioned in there next week as i emailed him at w/e

tight lines.
martin.
talk fishing flip football

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Great so i've gotta keep an eye open for a raggamuffin scarecrow looking little garden gnome type person wih a bloody huge pike/perch/zander then [:D]

Alan

jonesr

CONGRATULATIONS DAVE![:D][:D] there are as you say a lot of angling sites around.But you have proved that a "GOOD" site can be rewarding for yourself as well as the Posters.

Carry on with the good work.[:eek:)]

Ron J

Age isn't everything!experience is!
I INTEND TO LIVE FOR EVER,SO FAR SO GOOD!

Wey Back

Suvern Softee!
Dave,
So having paid the hosting invoice at least you have control of one domain but the missus still has control of the other[:0]

Hope you have an export licence for the MD goodies, we are off to Canada in the summer and have some more MDs in the family over there so an order will be on its way soon.

Thanks for all your time and hard work it is very much appreciated.[:)]

Cheers,
Mick

TINY

Tiny
He can be so aggressive sometimes,that Alan.Especially when he hasnt had his 10 cups of tea and 20 fags to just start the day.

see ya soon pal.Andy

Lid

Thanks for the detailed explanation Dave. [8D]

I've said it before, but I'll say it again. I reckon MD's is easily the best fishing web-site I've come across and the forums are brilliant. Thanks. [^]

When I bought NTL cable modem last October, I was concerned that suddenly paying a hefty monthly fee after getting previously free access was going to be a waste of money. But then I found MDs and that on its own is worth it, let alone the other benefits to my whole family, (like barbie.com). [:D]

TINY

Tiny
Why barbie.com?
Is there something you want to share with us?

Andy....Staffs Angling Supplies

Lid

LOL Tiny. [:D][:D]

My seven year old daughter discovered how to navigate and search on the internet around November, and that's her favourite web-site. [8D]

Who said computing reduces paperwork? Rebecca's printed off loads of pictures from this site and spread them all over the house.

Status
Not open for further replies.