The best way to cook Sprouts ?

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Go on then, what's the best way to cook sprouts?

crayfishtraps

Site Supporter
peel um..where you cut them from stalk..cut a cross on them about 1/2 inch deep...put into boiling water and simmer for about 40 mins or until soft.

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
Parboil, cut in half, fry with oil garlic and bacon pieces....

Pompous git

Site Supporter
It never ceases to amaze me the amount of abuse the humble sprout gets.

Pick small firm sprouts leave as many leaves on and bring to the boil in just enough water. Simmer gently until you can just push
a sharp knife into them, drain and serve with a smidgen of butter. No garlic no bacon no salt just a perfect vegetable fit for a king.

Does anyone know a supermarket chain that sells January king cabbage, never see it round my way but in my view it is head and
shoulders above the other varieties.

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
tis the season soon for proper bubble, make far too much for dinner, cook simply by simmering as above

add the leftover sprouts to left over mash, cabbage and any other veg, mix well,

heat a heavy frying pan with a tad of crisp and dry, just sizzling as you chuck a pea in it,

add the mix, making sure it is at least an inch thick, pat the sides in if not, this is crucial,

fry to your taste, preferably long and hot enough to form a dark crispy covering

place on plate, put in oven to keep warm,

take the frypan and quick fry on high heat 3 eggs, your aiming for a crispy fried white with brown edges yet still retaining a runny yolk

place eggs on bubble, add HP sauce to taste, and scoff

food of the gods

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Simply peel and boil. Not had sprouts big enough to put a cross in the bottom for a long time. My misses won't let me do this on Christmas day because we have pigs in blankets but, I like my sprouts with bacon bits. There's something about sprouts and cabbage with bacon. Must be my Irish ancestry

Tinca Steve

Irregular member.
Site Supporter
Par boil them, the smallest are best, then into a frying pan with chopped crushed chestnuts and smoked streaky bacon pieces, cook until you get a touch of colour, put into tureen. Serve, never seem to have any left over.

As for January King cabbage, if you only need 3 or 4 grow them yourself at the back of a border. Done that many a year.

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
Go on then, what's the best way to cook sprouts?

Best way to cook sprouts? Let next door neighbour do them, that way if they boil dry or burn, it's not your house that stinks for the rest of the day. :sick:

62tucker

Site Supporter
It never ceases to amaze me the amount of abuse the humble sprout gets.

Pick small firm sprouts leave as many leaves on and bring to the boil in just enough water. Simmer gently until you can just push
a sharp knife into them, drain and serve with a smidgen of butter. No garlic no bacon no salt just a perfect vegetable fit for a king.

Does anyone know a supermarket chain that sells January king cabbage, never see it round my way but in my view it is head and
shoulders above the other varieties.
It still December

TonyA

Site Supporter
Par boil then saute with butter, chopped bacon and a sweetish white wine

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
easy, take bag of sprouts, throw into bin, wait for binmen to take away and drop in landfill...in about 5 to 6 months they are perfectly done.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
I ended up boiling them to death until most of the taste had been removed :D

Everyone loved them :roflmao:

Scribe

Official Supplier of Pork Pies to the Drowners
Site Supporter
Lay bricks out in a hexagon pattern on a bare bit of ground in the garden. Build up the bricks, 4 rows high then put some firewood inside and light a fire (make sure the wood is very dry so it burns clean smoke,) Suspend a pan of water of the fire bring the water to boil and show the boiling water to the sprouts then.............throw the Demons balls on to the fire and send them back to hell where they belong.