The best fish you have ever caught...

TrickyD

Site Supporter
Just been trawling through a load of memory cards to find a picture of my biggest barbel, my hard drive crashed so I hoped I still had it on a card. I was never into big fish, spent most of the 80's 90's and 00's match fishing. Had carp to over 20lb, tench 7lb+, but no other species to specimen size. I did find my barbel pic, I was on my own when I took the pic.
IMAG0013.jpg

RMNDIL

Best but far from biggest etc is my first tench when I was a kid - 1lb 6oz. I was thrilled. What gorgeous fish. Wrote about it in my English O level exam at 15 (year early) and passed !!!

Foul hooked

The first time i ever fished for pike was as a teenager. Caught a 13lb 10oz fish on deadbait (spratts from local fishmonger). my first and best to date (actually the largest fish of any species to date).
Only others i have caught have been jacks when fishing maggot.
My best/favourite fish though has to be the 2lb 3oz crucian i caught a few weeks ago, closely followed by my PB Perch caught from the river Soar which weighed in at exactly 2lb, but was beautifully coloured and fin perfect

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
Best but not the largest was a 2lb tench in 2010. It secured a trophy I had been trying to win since the mid 1970s.

Biggest was an 18-6 carp on the pole that helped my team win an event by one point. Similar to the one pound chub that secured me second in section and again helped my team, a different one, win the same trophy. Have won the same trophy three times with three different teams. The third time I had a 2-15-8 net of small canal silvers for a section win.

Last edited:

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I'm cheating here by having two but I remembered another one. An approx 15lb Koi 'mugged' from Lavender Hall back when it was a new fishery. We used to have a double or two out most days among the smaller Carp and they were in good condition as recently stocked, but this one I had a margin line on sweetcorn and saw a big orange shape swim into the edge. I grabbed a top kit a dropped a bait in only for the fish to circle round, come back in and get its head down. Couldn't believe it when I 'mugged' and landed it as a 15/16 year old. If a photo had been taken I'm sure it would have ended up on the wall in their tackle shop along with other peoples catches.

Sportsman

Site Supporter
Would have to be a 17.10 rainbow caught fishing from a float tube using an 8' home built cane 4wt rod, 4lb stroft leader and a 16 CDC shipman's buzzer dry fly.

dougan

Site Supporter
My biggest, a 115lb Nile Perch.
FB-IMG-1571645409369.jpg

One of my favourites, a almost Linear carp, caught from Bude canal on light gear on a floater, what a scrap it put up!
IMG_20180706_075921.jpg

George!

Site Supporter
I lived in Norway for just over a year during the pandemic, my office backed onto the fjord in Stavanger.

I could walk out the office and cast within 5 seconds, it was amazing. Almost exclusively caught mackerel, but caught this pollack, only one I've ever seen or caught. The fish were pristine, none of them would have ever been caught before.

Not necessarily the biggest or rarest fish, but the quality of them was second to none.

Perfect place for fishing, perfect fish.

Screenshot_20210627-145514_Gallery.jpg

Gary.J

My last fish caught on my week away fishing (last week) was my favourite, it put a smile on my face as I’ve never caught one before.
It was a Gold fish! 😁
The fish I caught a few minutes earlier was a double figure carp, but have caught plenty of these.
But if you ask me next week? A tench, barbel, perch, roach, gudgeon or whatever may take that mantle.
It doesn’t have to be big, as long as it makes me smile.

Last edited: