The best fish you have ever caught...

ev4dawin

What is y'alls favourite/best fish you have ever caught? Mine was a 5lb perfect linear mirror which I was super stoked about. Unfortunately, my hand covered most of the scale pattern which ruined it a little bit. Feel free to post photos if you want.

TrickyD

Site Supporter
My best fish is not my biggest. I would say my best fish was my very first barbel from The Royalty back in 1980, 10lb 6oz is a cracking fish even today, but as a first, it was really special. Had one of 15lb 10oz from the River Mole a few years back, but you never forget your first. I have a pic of my first one blown up in a frame on the wall, here it is, sorry about the glare. 1625155336536.jpg

rd115

плак-плак
Site Supporter
I'm about 3 or 4 years in and haven't yet caught anything that memorable. Just plain ol' mediocre 🙃

rd115

плак-плак
Site Supporter
It took another 30 years to get my second barbel.
It's only my 2nd season as a wannabe Barbel angler so I'm not too worried yet.

Just a bit miffed I haven't yet had a double figure Pike after 4 years of trying 😅

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I very rarely took fish pics before I joined the forum so I’ve not got any pics of my favourite fish, at least not to hand think my family’s got pics of them. But my favourite coarse fish capture though was a near 5.5lb chub on the stick from the severn coming up to 3 years ago.

Favourites since I’ve been on here so actually have photos of would be my best river and canal perch.
1625156289036.jpeg
1625156318366.jpeg

Silver fan 82

Probably my favourite fish was the Perch in my avatar photo, not my biggest Perch but was so releived to catch this fish.
I caught it earlier this winter after alot of blank sessions. The feeling of catching this fish I honestly cant describe. The session turned out to be a memorable one too as I bagged up on roach and Perch finally breaking what felt like a long blank spell.

ev4dawin

Probably my favourite fish was the Perch in my avatar photo, not my biggest Perch but was so releived to catch this fish.
I caught it earlier this winter after alot of blank sessions. The feeling of catching this fish I honestly cant describe. The session turned out to be a memorable one too as I bagged up on roach and Perch finally breaking what felt like a long blank spell.
On my first outing at my grandparents on my mums side, I hooked into a fish that was pulling hard and taking a bit of line. At the time I was expecting a small carp or something but my landing net was graced by a perch of around 3 maybe 4lb. It was on a cold, hard winter day so it wpuld be an understatement to say that I was excited.

Me and my lad

Site Supporter
It can change to be fair. A 2lb roach off the Severn when I was fishing for barbel. 4lb 12 barbel on the trent fishing tares for roach but a 3oz gudgeon was rather special as I was targetting them. Above all, the above have left me shocked and elated. Long may it continue

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Mine would be my PB Tench from the most unlikely of places when I was about 16... caught from Willow Pool at Blythe Waters when it had just been stocked with loads of small Carp... hooked a lump on a 8 elastic... and just remember calling to my mate Tom... "It's a Tench!" when it surfaced. This was before the days of camera phones.

tincatim

Site Supporter
Best fish from my youth was a 2lb Rudd, caught on light waggler tactics from the pools I used to fish in Telford. I remember it well as I’d only just got scales. Well that, and I’d never seen a rudd that big before. I still haven’t.

More recently it would have to be the 10lb 4oz barbel I caught from the Dearne. It took three years worth of fishing there to finally catch one, and for it to be a double as well, just made it extra special.
24BF420E-111B-4C9D-AD90-4BEFBDCD9767.jpeg
I didn’t have an unhooking mat back then, I didn’t ever really believe I’d catch anything this big.

slaner

Site Supporter
2lb 10 oz perch when i was 16 years old from a little pool on the river itchen, not massive by todays weights but was a big perch back then when i think the record was 4lb something

floatfisher

Site Supporter
I think I'd have to say a 2lb 1oz roach on stick and caster from the Ribble in the early eighties. Never got close to that size since, anywhere I've fished.

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Mine was a Barbel, i'd spent my life chasing one, it had become a 'holy grail' for me.

I was very young, i'd been fishing the river Severn with my dad and we were packing away when i saw a fish splashing around on the gravel opposite, i pointed to it and told my dad.

He looked and said 'that's a Barbel son we'll have a go for them next time...i promise' and off we went home

Ohhh man, i still remember the dreams, bronze flanks, red fins, a torpedo in the water, it's eye looking straight at me and it's mouth calling my name (obviously didn't but i was young and the dream is seered into my mind) ... sadly we never got to go for them because my dad died the next night.

I gave up fishing, couldn't even bare to look at the tackle in my dads shed, it just sat there gathering dust and spiders nests.

Then one friday a couple of mates were talking about going fishing at the weekend and for some unknown reason, i asked if i could go, i still don't know why but i asked and they said yes.

I jumped on my grifter and peddled home, got in, got changed and went to the shed, opened the door and.... i froze, i just stood staring at my dads fishing tackle, his wicker basket, his heavy grey rod bag with the big wooden poled canvas brolly sticking out of it, but i couldn't move i just stood there.

Then i heard my mum 'go on Alan, you know it's yours, it's what your dad would have wanted' i walked in and put my hand on the seat of the wicker basket and stroked it, you know the adverts you see where some bloke runs his hands along a car? well that was me with my dads basket.

Anyway long story short, i started dragging it out, cleaned it all up then realised i hadn't got any bait so after all that i didn't go, but my mum had rang my grandad and happened to mention i'd cleaned the gear and wanted to go fishing so next weekend my grandad got maggots and took me fishing, the bug was back my grandparents lived 5 minutes from the river so my tackle lived at there house, every weekend i'd go fishing, cheese and tomato butties with a bottle of orange for a snack.

As i aged i fished further afeild, started fishing matches, carp fishing and pike fishing.
I never really gave up on catching my holy grail but began to realise i was never going to get one so i bought a 'roach pole' and used to take that instead of all my other stuff.

Then a lot of years later i joined MD, met a guy called Esox.20 (John) and we became fishing buddies, we were talking one day and i mentioned my 'quest for the holy grail' John then made it his mission to get me my Barbel and, after god knows how many miles, how many different stretches of river one night on the Severn, last knockings my rod went round and John netted my fish.

He turned to me with a massive grin showing through his beard and held out his hand to shake mine...then he showed me the net.

After i'd unhooked it, weighed it, had a photo with it i looked up at the sky and said 'i've done it dad, i got one' then lowered my net into the water and let my precious long awaited Barbel swim away.

John just smiled and said 'i'll make us a cuppa' instead of laughing and taking the pee at big bad Trogg crying on the bank, by the time he'd poured the brew i'd pulled myself together and felt like the cat that got the cream as i smiled at John and thanked him for making my dream come true.

Northantslad

'Any indications?
Site Supporter
My first Barbel at around 2lb. It weighed less than the amount of years trying. After that it would be my lads first ever fish, 2 ounce rudd.

Deejay8

Site Supporter
Mine was a Barbel, i'd spent my life chasing one, it had become a 'holy grail' for me.

I was very young, i'd been fishing the river Severn with my dad and we were packing away when i saw a fish splashing around on the gravel opposite, i pointed to it and told my dad.

He looked and said 'that's a Barbel son we'll have a go for them next time...i promise' and off we went home

Ohhh man, i still remember the dreams, bronze flanks, red fins, a torpedo in the water, it's eye looking straight at me and it's mouth calling my name (obviously didn't but i was young and the dream is seered into my mind) ... sadly we never got to go for them because my dad died the next night.

I gave up fishing, couldn't even bare to look at the tackle in my dads shed, it just sat there gathering dust and spiders nests.

Then one friday a couple of mates were talking about going fishing at the weekend and for some unknown reason, i asked if i could go, i still don't know why but i asked and they said yes.

I jumped on my grifter and peddled home, got in, got changed and went to the shed, opened the door and.... i froze, i just stood staring at my dads fishing tackle, his wicker basket, his heavy grey rod bag with the big wooden poled canvas brolly sticking out of it, but i couldn't move i just stood there.

Then i heard my mum 'go on Alan, you know it's yours, it's what your dad would have wanted' i walked in and put my hand on the seat of the wicker basket and stroked it, you know the adverts you see where some bloke runs his hands along a car? well that was me with my dads basket.

Anyway long story short, i started dragging it out, cleaned it all up then realised i hadn't got any bait so after all that i didn't go, but my mum had rang my grandad and happened to mention i'd cleaned the gear and wanted to go fishing so next weekend my grandad got maggots and took me fishing, the bug was back my grandparents lived 5 minutes from the river so my tackle lived at there house, every weekend i'd go fishing, cheese and tomato butties with a bottle of orange for a snack.

As i aged i fished further afeild, started fishing matches, carp fishing and pike fishing.
I never really gave up on catching my holy grail but began to realise i was never going to get one so i bought a 'roach pole' and used to take that instead of all my other stuff.

Then a lot of years later i joined MD, met a guy called Esox.20 (John) and we became fishing buddies, we were talking one day and i mentioned my 'quest for the holy grail' John then made it his mission to get me my Barbel and, after god knows how many miles, how many different stretches of river one night on the Severn, last knockings my rod went round and John netted my fish.

He turned to me with a massive grin showing through his beard and held out his hand to shake mine...then he showed me the net.

After i'd unhooked it, weighed it, had a photo with it i looked up at the sky and said 'i've done it dad, i got one' then lowered my net into the water and let my precious long awaited Barbel swim away.

John just smiled and said 'i'll make us a cuppa' instead of laughing and taking the pee at big bad Trogg crying on the bank, by the time he'd poured the brew i'd pulled myself together and felt like the cat that got the cream as i smiled at John and thanked him for making my dream come true.
A very touching story. Thanks for sharing it.