The best chance in France......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beebs

.......is the slogan they use to advertise Les Quis and for 22 happy customers it was smack on.

4 lakes - Old lake, Elf lake, Long lake hold the biggest carp to well over 50 in each and huge cats which reach over 150lb and the Bay lake - which is the bagging water. All extremely beautiful, all have superb fish and none are ever overcrowded with a maximum of 6 anglers per lake.

We were picked up from a secure car park at Folkstone and driven in a luxury coach to Dover where we sailed at 3am to Calais. After a 4 hour coach ride (not as bad as you think) we arrived at the lakes. Everybody jumps from the coach and in spite of the lack of sleep, people started running around like headless chickens to find the best swims. Bernie (complex owner) chirps up "Slow down, slow down you've got 7 f****ng days!!!!" not that it stopped us mind you.

We found our swims and moved our kit around to set up camp. An hour or so later we were fishing. This was my set up and weapons of choice>

Datafile4.jpg

I fished the Elf lake and also had a couple of days of bagging on the Bay lake from this swim as the going was slow on the main lakes>

Datafile4.jpg

Strangely I had my biggest fish from the Bay lake a 21.5lb mirror on the magical 16th which is now my PB>

Datafile4.jpg

As you can see the weather was superb - one rain shower was all we had during the whole week and if you're a fat bloke like me - it was a little too hot, although I do admit I had aclimatised by the end of the week.

I spent a couple of days on the Bay lake as I wanted a spell of bagging decent sized carp. The average size in the Bay is around 12 - 14lb and they scrap like mad. This is around average size>

Datafile4.jpg

But you'd also regularly catch them around this size which was around 17lb>

Datafile4.asp

We seemed to be mainly catching mirrors from The Bay, but one evening the Commons moved in and my best Common was this at 19lb12oz and just look at the tail on it!!! It took me across 3 swims and stripped line like crazy>

Datafile4.asp

Once I'd had my fill of bagging up on pasties, I went back to the Elf lake to try for a biggie. This was my home>

Datafile4.jpg

The complex record is over 58lb for carp or if your extremely unlucky and hook the biggest cat then your looking at over 150lb of tadpole and that will test every ounce of angling skill not to mention your tackle.

I must admit that I didn't do very well and the fish were on the verge of spawning last week, so weren't feeding that hard, but if you were in the right swim, you had a flier. One guy 2 swims down had a great week with numerous 20's a couple of 30's a 40 and a cat. Not bad at all.

The last night I'd had a shower and was enjoying a beer by the lodge when I heard my name being screamed across the lake. I sprinted around to find my mate had struck my rod and was holding the fish for me until I arrived. After quite a heavy scrap I had what turned out to be my last fish of the week, this 17lb beautifully scaled mirror, although the photo doesn't do the fish justice>

Datafile4.asp

I had a couple of wicked runs the morning we left but nothing I managed to land. Throughout the course of the week I lost more fish than I landed which was quite hard to take at times, but that was the case for everyone who was there.

The week was incredible - the atmosphere through the whole of the crowd that was there was brilliant - everybody was there to enjoy themselves and that is just what they did. Some people put a bit of pressure on themselves to catch and it showed as they got a bit stressed as the week went on and they hadn't landed their 'big one', but they were still having a good time in spite of that.

Food was provided and every morning started off with a superb cooked breakfast and every evening we had a proper evening meal - roast beef, roast pork, roast lamb, chicken & chips & 2 wicked barbecues. There was always cold drink in the fridge - beer or soft drinks depending on your preference.

Personally I didn't fish past 9 in the night apart from the last 2 nights when I was trying a bit harder, chosing a refreshing shower and chilling out on the patio of the lodge with a few cold beers shooting the breeze with Bernie the lake owner and Darren the Bailiff listening to Pink Floyd, Bob Marley and other relaxing tunes. The two of them are absolutely the finest people you could hope to meet. Both excellent anglers and also down to earth and great fun to be with.

The whole week was a revelation to me - I had expected to fish non-stop for a whole week but that was not the case. I found that after a whole day's fishing, a shower and some beer was ultimately the best way to unwind after a totally relaxing day and I was so unwound throughout the week at times I felt I was going backwards!!!
I can honestly say that at no time in memory can I remember a time when I worried about absolutley nothing but last week was one of those times. I felt no stress and the only thing that almost slightly stressed me was taking my mobile phone - a week without it would have been the ultimate - total exclusion from everything.

I admit to having a heavy heart as we left yesterday morning - I had met great people who seemed liked good friends by the end of the week, had superb fishing and had glorious weather with good food and a constant supply of cold drinks. If I could have changed anything I wouldn't - it was perfect in every way. Next week I am booking up my trip for next year.

How good is Les Quis? Put it this way, we met people who do not fish in the UK anymore, believing that a week there is worth more than 51 weeks in the UK. I don't fall into that category, but I can't imagine going through the bullsh1t that has become carp fishing in the UK - there's just too much grief and stress in UK carping these days. Personally I like my fishing to be hassle free and I will be finding a quiet stretch of river to practice my trotting this Summer - hope I don't see you there!!!!![:D][:D][;)][;)]

Main complex.

The Bay Lake.

Larry

Lazarus
WEll done Beebs a good place to go to then

Datafile2.asp

Anyone who stops learning is old.
Wether at 20 or 80.
Anyone who keeps learning stays young.
Cheer's Larry AKA as toma say's Shimano Man The Tackle Tart

MALC

Nice report Beebs sounds like you had a good time.[:)][:)]

MALC
Datafile2.asp
IT'S CATCHING ...BUT ARE YOU !!!

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Cracking report beebs [:)] thumbsup.gif

Dave
Datafile2.asp

G

Beebs cracking in depth report mate.

Some loverrrrly fish.

bablefish.gif

catch me if u can
Andy,
Datafile3.asp

Lid

Sounds great Beebs and well done on the fish!! What methods and bait did you use then?

Lid [:)]

Geoff P

The MOGerator
Staff member
Site Supporter
Steve,

You mean on occassions you had a drink, and you still got up to fish the next morning. Never happens in Wales!!!!!!!!!!

Good report mate, glad you had a good time.

Geoff
Datafile3.asp

True friends are like good books. You don't always use
them but you know where they are when you need them.

Fishing Venues UK

Beebs

Sorry. Forgot the important bit.

Ledgered air dried Solar winter secret and Club mix boilies. Fishing the Bay you take about 100 boilies and a bucket of maize - yes that's right a whole bucket!!!! Walk round to the opposite bank that you're fishing to and throw it all in. Walk back, cast in and wait (not for long).

The action on the Bay was so frantic that I struck a run on one rod and missed it. The second rod went off before I had a chance to recast and I landed another carp. Before I had a chance to put the fish back, the 3rd rod went. At one point, fishing 3 rods, none of them were in the water. Sounds great and is great, but it's too hard for a whole week. You never get a chance to sit back and relax because your alarms are constantly going off. So I had my fill of double figure carp and spent the last few days relaxing in the sun on my bedchair waiting for a monster. I am now back in work and it sucks.

Last Monday was the day I caught my PB and I thought I had a bad day losing around 7 or 8 rigs on snags, losing fish and not fishing properly and was well p*****d off. I packed up at 7 0'clock and went off up to the lodge to drown my sorrows. I sulked in and said to Bernie that I had a bad day and fished poorly. He said "If you speak to me this time next week and think back to what a rubbish day you've had today and compare it with the day you'll have next week, you'll realise that it wasn't so bad after all." He was absolutely right.

AlanP

'EastAngler'
Nice one Steve, soundsm like a great week.

Congratulations on the new PB [:D].

AlanP

icarpdaily

'Dancey'
Well done mate.

Tom.

devil-flip.gif Wheres my float oh my god wheres my float, oh yeah im ledger fishing. demonbat.gif
"I, d rather be dead than cool " Curt Cobain.
"It's better to burn out than fade away" Curt cobain.
Maggdrowner's the only place to be when your not on the Bank.

Beebs

quote:Originally posted by Geoff P

Steve,

You mean on occassions you had a drink, and you still got up to fish the next morning. Never happens in Wales!!!!!!!!!!

One of these Geoff old buddy, I might just live that down. But not just yet eh?[;)]

Geoff P

The MOGerator
Staff member
Site Supporter
Last time Steve.

Geoff
Datafile3.asp

True friends are like good books. You don't always use
them but you know where they are when you need them.

Fishing Venues UK

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Beebs,
Glad you had a good time mate,an excellent report and some good pictures/memories.[:)][;)]

I'm sure you've wetted a few appetites,so here's their web site.[;)]

Peter.
Datafile3.asp

Make Friends,
Go Maggotdrowning.

Beebs

quote:Originally posted by peter

I'm sure you've wetted a few appetites,so here's their web site.[;)]

Cheers Peter. The first set of piccies, the one on the right (our right) is Bernie and he was brilliant. A really sound geezer, superbly funny and really interesting. Not a night of the week went past when we didn't have a beer together and his hospitality is second to none. It takes around 2 hours to leave The Lodge if you go there as you have to announce your intentions long before you actually leave because thay just keep pouring the stuff down your neck!!!!!!

I must admit I had a lump in my throat as we left and saying goodbye to our new friends was hard. I signed the Guestbook on the Les Quis website and within a couple of hours had an email from one of the guys on the trip saying how it was the same for them. It was like MD's for a whole week.

Stop it I'm welling up.[;)][:D]

Status
Not open for further replies.