The best all round feeder rod

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrfish

Hi, i've just got back into fishing after a 15 year gap, and am looking to buy a good all round feeder rod. Any suggestions would be very helpful. I mainly fish stillwaters but will be venturing into the flowing stuff soon.Many thanks.

jel

mrfish hi !
I do quite a bit of feeder fishing , i have 3 feeder rods,
light,medium,heavy action all in the 150 bracket .The one i use
the most is the DRX power carp feeder 13 ft good for carp pools,
and on rivers, a bit to heavy for bream though .It all depends
on how much you want too spend !The maver 4-play looks a good
allrounder aswell.But what i would say is DONT rush your
decision.But its fun looking!!
jel.

j white

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
wave.gif Welcome to the madhouse Mr Fish,
How much do you want to spend?Go on give us a clue.
Also ,what fish are you hoping to target,there are such a range of rods out there,i'm sure we can come up with some suggestions between us.
Peter. thumbsup.gif

Happiness is a rod in your hand.

Larry

Lazarus
Hi mrfish,
Welcome to the nuthouse as peter say's iv'e got 2 13ftDam Titanium All Rounders there great they come with 2 top joints 1 suitable for the Method Feeder& a lighter top with tip painted white for general feeder work.the heavier rod will take 10 /12 lb line comfortably & the lighter 6/8 lb line.Bieng's Dam have recently gone bust you may be able to pick one up cheap. Iuse the heavier one on my club's pool for fishing for Carp.& on the river for barbel&chub. I think new the were about 115 each.

Cheer's Larry

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Hi mrfish,

The rod I use mainly is (I'm gonna get shot for saying this but..) a 'Cormorant' made in Germany by a company called 'Black Star'.
- seriously folks
. My wife bought me it a couple of years ago, it has 3 tips and seems to be able to handle just about everything that you can through at it. I've had some good barbel, chub and hauled a few decent bags of bream in and its never let me down.
I don't know if it is still available but if you can get hold of one I'd thoroughly recommend it.

Dave

Ziptrev

05/10/01 - 18/10/02
In Memoriam

Cormoran, Dave ? No T , but a picture of the damn thing!
The current range available through www.askari-fishing.co.uk

Regards

Trev

mrfish

I was thinking of spending upto about 100 pounds of the green stuff, i would maybe use it too for method feeding. Thanks help.gif

Alan Roe

Hmmm! right a very good all round feeder rond is the Shakespeare Odessa Medium Feeder rod which will set you back about 50.
Which will allow you to save for a method feeder rod as they are a specialsed beast

Cheers
Alan

jel

MRFISH HI .
HAVE YOU LOOKED AT THE DAIWA PORKY PIG, IT GOT VERY GOOD REPORTS
IN THE MAGS . COSTS ABOUT 90 QUID

JEL .

j white

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Hi mrfish
Have a look at the Shimano Catana feeder rods,they do two, medium and heavy both 12ft long.They are both made from a full XT40 carbon blank and come supplied with two spare, push-in, quiver tips.
I brought a medium one last year and have been very impressed with it.The Medium rod is recommended for medium range feeder work with weights up to 3oz. The quivertips supplied with the Medium rod are glass-fibre in TC's of 2oz and 3oz. The rod will easily handle the smaller sizes of tench,bream and carp.
The Heavy model is ideal for longer casts and heavier feeders up to 4oz making for a good "method" rod. This rod is powerful enough to handle fish in double figures.It is supplied with quivertips of 2oz and 4oz.
The part cork and Duplon handle features a screw Fuji sleeve grip reel fitting and is extremely comfortable and secure in use.
The rings are low bell Shimano Hardlite's with burgundy silk whippings that look very pleasant on the dark grey carbon blank.
I've used the medium rod for every thing from skimmers to low double figure carp with small method feeders,and have been very impressed.
The recommended price is Heavy: 79.99 and Medium 77.99,but you should be able to pick either up for about 60.
Peter. thumbsup.gif

ada

brummie
the shimano range is very good.the cheapest is the cantana which is a good starter rod ,the middle range is the solstace and the top range is the technium.I use the heavy solstace which has 3 tips 2,3,&4oz tips it will throw a method feeder or an open end bream feeder with ease,the 2oz tip is glass so it registers the shy bites.if you are going to use the method go for the solstace as it has more power than the cantana.the technium is 13 foot and is a better river rod.expect to pay around 80 for the solstace and 90 for the technium.

mrfish

Thanks to you all, you've given me plenty to look at and hopefully i'll be casting away on a new feeder rod very shortly. drink.gif naughty2.gif

Alnath

quote:
Hi mrfish
Have a look at the Shimano Catana feeder rods,they do two, medium and heavy both 12ft long.They are both made from a full XT40 carbon blank and come supplied with two spare, push-in, quiver tips.
I brought a medium one last year and have been very impressed with it.The Medium rod is recommended for medium range feeder work with weights up to 3oz. The quivertips supplied with the Medium rod are glass-fibre in TC's of 2oz and 3oz. The rod will easily handle the smaller sizes of tench,bream and carp.
The Heavy model is ideal for longer casts and heavier feeders up to 4oz making for a good "method" rod. This rod is powerful enough to handle fish in double figures.It is supplied with quivertips of 2oz and 4oz.
The part cork and Duplon handle features a screw Fuji sleeve grip reel fitting and is extremely comfortable and secure in use.
The rings are low bell Shimano Hardlite's with burgundy silk whippings that look very pleasant on the dark grey carbon blank.
I've used the medium rod for every thing from skimmers to low double figure carp with small method feeders,and have been very impressed.
The recommended price is Heavy: 79.99 and Medium 77.99,but you should be able to pick either up for about 60.
Peter. thumbsup.gif

Peter you have made my day
, i recently started fishing again (well last Saturday actualy) Anyway i decided to try and keep the costs down a bit this time but try to keep some quality if possible. I was looking at the Catana medium feeder in a local tackle shop today, it was priced at a rather pleasing 50 quid. I came home did a google and your post showed on the search. I am going for the rod tomorrow, cheers

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Alnath,
First and formost Welcome to Maggotdrowning.com,it's always nice to see a lapsed angler returning to the fold.
I'm pleased that you think that my post has been of some help to you,if you need anymore help just post up your queries,cause between us there's always someone who can help or advise.

Peter.

Make Friends,Go Maggotdrowning.

Alnath

Thanks for the welcome
i wish i had never sold my Drennan medium feeder but its always easy to say that in retrospect
But the catana looks nice and your little piece made my mind up, thanks again.

Newt

'Lures Rule!!'
Now you guys are making me jealous. The rods with multiple tips just aren't to be found over here. No idea why as they sound like a great idea.

Do they have all the bending/action in the tip section? Otherwise it would seem to me that matching a butt section to several weights of tip would be really difficult.

Also - could someone please define "feeder rod" for me.

Newt Vail

Edited by - Newt on 19 April 2002 12:38:04 AM

Alnath

Hi Newt.

Cant you order one from the UK mate? All your friends would be very jealous

Feeder/quiver rods are usualy between 9 and 13 foot and only the top bit (the last 20 or so inches) is usualy interchangable. the rods are usualy fairly stiff for 2 thirds to enable it to cast the weight with the last third being fairly soft as this has to do all the work if you hit a fish. The tips themselves (that last 20 inches i was on about) are either fiber glass or carbon and come in various test curves to meet differing winds and weights of feeder.

Zinky

Grumpy
All Shimano, light, medium and heavy very good all round rods.
The Carbon Active range look a fine rod ??

Ray Owen

'Nomad'
Hi mate,

I reccomend a Shimano med/heavy feeder it comes with 3 x tips
1 and 2 ounce glass
3 ounce carbon

it will cover most type of feeder fishing

tight lines

Ray

Status
Not open for further replies.