The benefits of the forum

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
I think we will all agree that we gain immense benefit from this forum and Dave and the mods devote an awful lot of time to ensure everything runs smoothly. I notice that there seems to be more and more posters who are not site supporters, now come on folks a tenner; really? Its only the price of a packet of fags, if everyone subscribed we could have an even better forum.

tyne angler

im just a pleasure angler but some of the advice ive had on here has really made a difference to my fishing if i had any problem with anything fishing i wouldnt think twice to ask on here

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
Pleasure or match fishing, we all gain a little knowledge from these forums. It only seems fair to give something back to keep the site going.

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
im just a pleasure angler but some of the advice ive had on here has really made a difference to my fishing if i had any problem with anything fishing i wouldnt think twice to ask on here
Site supporter???

sly

bit better gear,still no idea
Site Supporter
I think we will all agree that we gain immense benefit from this forum and Dave and the mods devote an awful lot of time to ensure everything runs smoothly. I notice that there seems to be more and more posters who are not site supporters, now come on folks a tenner; really? Its only the price of a packet of fags, if everyone subscribed we could have an even better forum.
why could we?

Nobby_nobbs

Site Supporter
I don’t think being a site supporter is such a big deal. I do however agree that it would be nice if they did put their hands in their pockets and paid the £10.
Dave and the mods do a great job and with some of the rabble on here they have their work cut out.
I think those who pay get the most out of it when the call went out for the new forum software, the site supporters put in a few shekels and transformed the forum for the better, why because they feel they belong and are part of a community.
They did it because they wanted a better online experience and to help the site move on and try and attract more site supporters and possibly more advertising as they say in a certain supermarket every little helps.

Gwillim

hmmmmm.............
Agree with the sentiment totally and if you are a regular user of the site then helping to keep it running and pay for its upkeep is what you should be doing, but at what point do you class yourself a regular? is it by post count, responses, time served or is it when you feel that you have been accepted into the forum and are comfortable with how things are run and what other users are like or something completely different

davylad

Site Supporter
That's got to be worth a tenner then.:upthumb:

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Many Thanks fella, much appreciated. :upthumb:

The subject of "Site Support" has always been a contentious subject on here but the fact remains that Maggotdrowning is probably one of the largest Independent angling forums available that isn't controlled by a Media Group or company with an agenda to push or products to plug.
It isn't run for profit and as such it could be viewed as Dave's labour of love but inevitably that comes at a cost.

Due in a large part to support from the members and advertisers alongside a quality hosting package the forum now runs on the Xenforo platform which we believe to be the finest available to bring the forum users the best experience we can provide. The software behind it is the most extensive and flexible community software out there with a huge array of add-ons available to increase the user experience. Each has a cost though and it's only due to Site Support contributions that we can continue to add these as and when funds permit. ;)

fishcatcher4

Unless people do not have the funds then that is fair enough but if you do have a spare tenner and use the site regularly then there is no excuse.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
As Peter wrote, many thanks for your support. :)

On top of the software costs, the main costs are for two dedicated servers, their hosting, licences and upgrades such as the recent addition of two SSD storage drives. This is basically the backbone of the website and without which we would not be here.

I've often been approached with emails or suggestions re cheaper alternatives to our current set up and hosts, but when you run the stats past them the reality dawns we are not just a little site that can run on a bit of shared hosting :D
In addition, when things do go wrong on the server side which I cannot sort out, we are literally a call or email away from our dedicated tech support engineers, night or day and I've yet to find any issue they can't sort with minimum disruption and most of all quickly.

Best of all, we are continually growing, adding more members daily, and regardless of what questions get asked there's always someone with the answer - a virtual wiki of constantly updating knowledge :upthumb: