The Balloon Debate (Covid Vaccine)

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
At school we used to have "Balloon Debates". Balloon was falling due to there being too many people in the basket. One of the passengers had to be thrown out to save the rest. Each in turn would put the case as to why they should not be the one jettisoned. It now seems we have the same scenario with the Covid Vaccine.

Police, teachers, people with learning difficulty etc. are claiming they should be next in line for the vaccine. So who should get it next, are there any special cases who deserve earlier protection than based purely on age?

62tucker

Site Supporter
I think the government have got it just about right.
Should a 25 year old teacher get it before a 60 year old who got more chance of dying. Not in my eyes.
Doctors are organising it and doing a amazing job. Don’t think doctors know what profession their patients are.

DFL

Site Supporter
Never going to please all the people all the time.

I had to chuckle, a local Facebook page had people asking which vaccine would they be getting yesterday at our drive through centre, many had preferences. I see it as an injection of hope regardless of brand.

Agree with the above, those more likely to die from the virus should be at the front of the queue.

spanky

Irregular Member
Site Supporter
There is no right or wrong answer on this one Neil (I guess that's why it's a debate).

The work done to date suggests that the elderly and those with health problems should go first (hence the 9 groups), after that I'm sure the smart people have looked at the relatively infection rates among different age/occupation groups and will advise accordingly. I can see the argument for treating those who come into contact with lots of other through work (police, teachers, retail workers etc.) can make a strong case. This is one of the reasons we have track and trace and an army of people analysing the data - this is to try and find the patterns and come up with good solutions - in a complex situation you cannot come up with an optimal solution, since there are natural variations in behaviour. Hence you aim for a good solution that works in general.

When it comes to the flu they give the flu vaccine (via nasal spray) to the kids, because historically they have been the silent killers - they spread it at school, give it to their parents and grandparents. So they treat the kids to save the grandparents. Not sure if the same dynamic happens with covid, but given the grandparents should have been vaccinated, maybe at this time the kids are not the priority.

At out current vaccination rate (3m a week) we should be able to tick off large groups of the population fairly quickly, so the argument could be quite academic in a month or so anyway,

Trent_Fisher

I think they have it right vaccinating the elderly and vulnerable first. The data shows that those most likely to become seriously ill or die from the virus are elderly or have pre-existing conditions.

I have a lot of friends who are frontline in various different jobs and the overwhelming majority of them would rather wait for a vaccine than have one ahead of the most vulnerable groups.

ATTICUS FINCH

The next in line should be the 20 to 39 yr olds as they are the ones who don't give a flying f about catching it as it doesn't affect them as much as the older generation.
And when the pubs open it will be them that will be making up the majority of idiots sitting in a pub garden in the pissing rain just to get a drink .passing on God knows what

dave the fish

Site Supporter
But then again the 20 to 39 year olds are the ones more likely to refuse to have the vaccine. Isn’t it therefore more effective to vaccinate the 40 to 60 s first, protecting more people quickest.

corkycat

As already mentioned above, GPs surgeries don't have accurate or up to date records of a patient's profession. A fishing pal of mine retired from the police five years ago and is now a civil servant working from home. But because he never happened to mention this to his doctor, his occupation is still recorded at the surgery as "Police Officer". I think the JVCI have got it spot on; no matter what our views on the subject, making occupations a priority would slow the vaccination programme down to a snail's pace.

spanky

Irregular Member
Site Supporter
I don't think the profession thing is a real goer on an invite basis.

But, maybe there is a way it could be used should there be excess capacity due to no shows and alike.

So if you are a police officer, teacher etc. you can log your contact details on a waiting list that could be used by the local vaccination centre if they have capacity. I could get behind something like that. Especially if you could do it by location (so, say the school is listed). Then if invited as many teachers from that school as possible could get the jab in one blast. That might work.

Simon R

Site Supporter
And when the pubs open it will be them that will be making up the majority of idiots sitting in a pub garden in the pissing rain just to get a drink .passing on God knows what
It is perhaps fortunate then that the transmission rate outdoors is negligible - hence the whole reason why outdoor spaces are opening first - and why outdoor exercise has always been permitted no matter how severe the lock-down.

Remember the hysteria when the beaches on the south-coast were over-run with day-trippers last summer and the inevitable surge in case numbers that was widely predicted but never actually happened?

Personally I don't really care who gets the vaccine nor when it gets administered and in what order.
Provided I get mine prior to June 21st I'll be quite happy.

Simon

Deejay8

Site Supporter
I think that the Government has got it right, in that when it comes to the under 50s, to just crack on, and do it by age category only. Under 50s with serious underlying health conditions should have been vaccinated already. It is far quicker to just call people up by age, rather than having identify different occupations, not so serious underlying health conditions, or other factors. The easier it is to identify the target groups, then the easier it is to get injections in their arms. I know the police, teachers, shop workers all want to be at the front of the queue. But that could slow up the vaccine roll out.

H T B

Site Supporter
The group listings came out before the vaccination program started.
Near on 20 million have had their first jab.
Let’s be grateful that this country is being very proactive with this.
We have a plan, it’s working
Nothing else to discuss

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
I would have thought Private Hire and Taxi drivers would have been pretty high up the at risk list. It's one profession I would not want to be in during the pandemic.
There was a discussion earlier re Zerkalo going into a empty house where the tenant had had covid. How does a PH or Taxi driver know the state of health of those getting into the cars and cab - to me it's a bit like Russian Roulette, especially the private hire side who tend to use cars rather than purpose built cabs.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Apparently I'm going to be be Category 6 due to health problems but not because of my job. To be honest it seems like there's been a fairly decent job of getting vaccines rolled out here compared to other places, I also think there's a British tendency to queue patiently so it's a difficult question to answer. Stories about people refusing vaccines are more likely to rile me than one group getting preferential treatment.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
People are entitled to refuse it for whatever their reasons. The ones that I find galling are those that do not have the decency to actually refuse it but instead just don't turn up for it.

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
As already mentioned above, GPs surgeries don't have accurate or up to date records of a patient's profession. A fishing pal of mine retired from the police five years ago and is now a civil servant working from home. But because he never happened to mention this to his doctor, his occupation is still recorded at the surgery as "Police Officer". I think the JVCI have got it spot on; no matter what our views on the subject, making occupations a priority would slow the vaccination programme down to a snail's pace.
But, if you set up a vaccination site at a police station (or school) for 24 hours you could be fairly certain the people vaccinated were in the relevant cohort.

bluemack

Site Supporter
I would have thought Private Hire and Taxi drivers would have been pretty high up the at risk list. It's one profession I would not want to be in during the pandemic.
There was a discussion earlier re Zerkalo going into a empty house where the tenant had had covid. How does a PH or Taxi driver know the state of health of those getting into the cars and cab - to me it's a bit like Russian Roulette, especially the private hire side who tend to use cars rather than purpose built cabs.
Most taxi drivers are asian,s so would most likely refuse the vaccination anyway.

BBear

Site Supporter
My wife’s a secondary school teacher and she’s 54. She’s frightened about going back and upset that she’s being put in that position with no protection. I can’t see why we’re told that you can’t mix with another household yet it’s ok to put someone into several different classrooms with 30 kids every day?

I’ve told her that I’d understand if she refuses to go in and packs her job but that’s just me trying to be supportive and she’s way too professional to do that.

I just think if society wants people to work in situations where they are at greater risk of getting infected - like teachers and the police, then they should be protected.