The Ashes

Maesknoll

Chris
Staff member
Site Supporter
@Lee Richards I completely get that and it's the reason why T20 is has become the most popular format, its short exciting and affordable.

However if the cricket viewers want a stronger test side we have to indicate by footfall what sort of cricket we want to watch. By taking a couple days off work to watch your county side in a 4 day game, a bigger crowd will get the players making more effort in those games more publicity media coverage, you can't effect change without support. It's only my opinion mate.

Players earn more in the various franchises, so I’m not sure that more crowds at county games would give that impetuous, playing in the IPL and CPL is lucrative, the game is over in a day, in nice warm countries, it’s quite a tangled web that isn’t all that simple to resolve.

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
Rightly or wrongly there are an increasing number of T20 Franchises starting up, so players tend to want to be in the big bucks drafts, getting it written into their contracts to be allowed to go... this is one of the reasons Ravi Bopara left Essex for Sussex, they've given him that freedom... (a move I've heard he's subsequently regretted) but I digress... the modern player wants a big pay packet, especially as a young county player in a div 2 team is only on about £25-30k a year so they'll embrace the shorter formats as it gives them more earning power and a longer career than the long format game

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
Ben Duckett, Joe Clarke,Sam Billings to name but three are having a great BBL tournament and keeping good Aussie players out.
Laurie Evans,James Vince, Reece Topley,Harry Brook are also featuring most matches.

Ravi just finished in the Lankan PL in November so is making good money just being on the circuit.

Fugley-fisher

Fishing the stour dorset, most probably!
Site Supporter
@Maesknoll without a doubt, but as I see it if you could get the domestic 4 day game to have the impact and hype about it a kin to the IPL then draw the players fans back to the longer format, the problem is how, the short dynamic nature of T20 would be very hard to compleat against.
Players want to play against the best get there names in the history book, the county clubs used to draw the cream of international players, it used to be proving ground for young players to
A- learn how to play English grounds.
B- play week in week out against the best.
C- a decent pay check

Somehow the English County set up is no longer drawing the players so the cricket stars are not there the crowds don't show it just dilutes the experience. Even the English players on international contracts play very little club cricket. So the likely hood of watching root bat in Yorkshire is unlikely, got to get the stars playing more domestic cricket, people used to pay to see ambose, Walsh lara, marshal Brett Lee waseem the a very small list of former international players that played County cricket, i now struggle to name to many international stars playing County cricket.

Being drawn by franchise paydays seemingly less workload for bigger rewards and playing against the best.

The answer I don't have one, yet.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Joe Clarke looked a dead cert for a long test career when he broke through at Worcestershire but it all went rather wrong when he got caught up in all that scandal that came out after he joined notts which clearly effected him mentally as his form fell through the floor. Been signs of a resurgence in the last couple years so might still become the player he promised to be but I have a feeling hes got a black mark against his name from the ECB as damaged goods now.

I do also wonder if given the complete lack of alternatives James vince should be given one last go not as the future but as a bit of a stop gap like Malan til we figure out who the future batsman should be. He’s at least got the talent and technique even if the mind is often absent which is surely easier to fix than all the dodgy techniqued people we keep picking. That said I think a more likely change that we could see for the next series if pope is taken out of the firing line to sort his head out is livingstone coming in. He looked like a future test player when he first broke through just has seen his red ball game hurt by not playing enough of it but I think he’s got a talent and attitude for it if he can remove the flaws that have crept into his game in recent years.

Openers wise I’d still probably stick with burns as at least he has scored runs at all levels with a degree of consistency in the past even if he’s clearly not the answer long term with that technique. Crawley is miles behind development wise for his age so should really go back and see if he can actually score at county level first and not sure hameed is up to it technically either seems vulnerable in all manner of ways. I guess jake Libby would maybe be next cab off the rank to try but I wouldn’t expect him to pull up any trees either. Might be worth sticking Malan up a spot as a stop cap as is at least slightly easier to find a semi functional 3 than an opener.

62tucker

Site Supporter
4th test.
Australia win toss and bat.
102 for 1.
Series already lost but players still be trying to avoid a whitewash. I would hope anyway

Reuben

Site Supporter
They may as well blood some newish players now. 5 - 0 or 3 - 2 makes bugger all of a difference.

Robwooly

Amazing performance, breaking so many records, to bat with such discipline for so long against the worlds best test team and beat them in their own backyard is quite an achievement.

But that's enough about Bangladesh in NZ yesterday :LOL:

With SA v India finely poised there's some great test cricket on at the moment, be nice if this Ashes test was more of a contest too.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I can see the series against SA being a good un in the summer as it’s two good bowling attacks and two flaky batting line ups so I’m expecting fast moving games. I dont expect to see a 5th day all series unless it rains!

muggins

paste man
Site Supporter
Phew! What a finish! England managed to hold on for the draw to prevent the whitewash. Went to the final ball. Good stuff. Who said test cricket was boring!!

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
That was a very enjoyable last hour of cricket,
Stokes & Bairstow were superb today and Stokes really is a big game player

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Bit of progress let’s see if we can win the last test now. Should be a fairly English style pitch so reckon pick Anderson, broad, Robinson and woakes and hope we win the toss.

Robwooly

The first innings target for this pitch is 201 which would give Australia a healthy chance of enforcing the follow on :)

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Don’t really see the logic of resting Anderson over wood when Anderson isn’t particularly injury prone and not needed until March whereas wood is prone to breaking at any second and needed for the windies odis. Especially on what doesn’t sound like a quick pitch if the seaming style bowlers are the ones having the joy 🤔

62tucker

Site Supporter
England 16 for 0. Need 255 to win the test.
Can they do it.
Or collapse like usual and not make 100.

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
Oh well... another embarrassing Ashes Series done... (sigh...!)