The Ashes

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
Shouldn't this thread be merged with "Joke of the Day"...???

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
We should literally just pack up and go home. In nearly 18 years of following cricket I can’t recall a worse string of performances than on this tour. Hopefully SA v India is a better watch today.

62tucker

Site Supporter
180 for 6.
Get the tail out for around 200 and we have a chance.
But knowing us a tail end partnership of 100 will happen

62tucker

Site Supporter
Well that’s it
England 31 for 4 in second innings.
Still 51 behind.
Australia bowlers getting more runs than our top batters.
We Need a clear out.

160642fishing

Site Supporter
Is it because we play too much limited over cricket and the batsmen are trying to score off every ball ?

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
So feel sorry for the bowlers. That’s the second decent bowling performance in a row and tbh the other ones weren’t bad just terrible fielding and captaincy. They’re basically wasting their effort with the batsman root aside falling over every time.

Arry

Site Supporter
See England have named their Squad for the West Indies Tour.... It's Australia...😛

davylad

Site Supporter
How does Butler get in the side, he drops catches and doesn't score runs? Good job he doesn't have to bowl.

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
A total embarrassment.
England bowled out for just 68 runs.
Australia retain The Ashes.
Bring them home now and please loose Chris Silverwood on the way so that he never coaches an England team again. :mad:

England 2nd Innings​

Extras0nb 0w 0b 5lb5
Total(27.4 overs)68 all out
BatterHow OutBowlerRunsBalls4s6sMinsSR
Hameedc Careyb Boland731105222.58
Crawleyc Careyb Starc516102131.25
Malanlbwb Starc010030.00
Rootc Warnerb Boland28594010147.46
Leachb Boland020030.00
Stokesb Starc1116203068.75
Bairstowlbwb Boland518003127.78
Buttlernot out514102635.71
Woodc & b Boland030070.00
Robinsonc Labuschagneb Boland020030.00
Andersonb Green2400750.00

Arry

Site Supporter
Much as I like "Spoons" for his work at Essex I feel that he may be fighting a losing battle at the England camp... his coaching and inspiration was fantastic when he was with us... but then he had a young team to mold and inspire. At England he has a group of players who are struggling with form and either cannot find the mental strength to stay at the crease or just cannot be arsed when things get on top...

Foakes should be playing... a man who bats well and was taught by the best keeper in the world (I'm biased) Dan Lawrence, effective spin bowler and good batsman, (again I'm biased) but there are other youngster who deserve a shot... we are playing bowlers who are carrying niggles and have to be rotated out of the attack... its bleedin' embarrassing is what it is and sadly I think "Spoons" will take the blame for it

Geoff P

The MOGerator
Staff member
Site Supporter
You have to be worried when they find it difficult to find two good opening batsmen.

I like Butler keeping wicket in a limited overs match but at test level you want a front line keeper and Foakes did nothing wrong in his few games.

Stupid idea taking a player on a tour who had no cricket for a number of months like Stokes, both his batting and bowling were both below par.

It is discouraging for the fans to see that the best bowler in the team is 39 years old and at the end of his test career. It must be so for Anderson himself when he bowls for less than 2.5 runs per over and the younger "future" leaders of the attack go for 3.5 - 4.5 runs an over.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
A worrying thing now is that out of 11 only root, stokes, Anderson and Robinson are definitively first choice! Can’t be many teams that can you say they know 4 of their best team. I guess the last seamer spot is just a horses for courses pick between broad, woakes, wood etc so that’s fair enough but very worrying about the rest of the team.

Butler has to go and whilst I wouldn’t be against giving bairstow one last run as keeper it’s surely got to be time to give foakes a run. Then spinner wise I think it’s time to give someone young like Parkinson or Bess a run as is leach really going to get much better in his 30s. Then the batting is really concerning. If the guy that averages 60 in county cricket with a flawless technique and has looked like a world beater at times has now lost the plot how on earth are we finding 4 more batsman!

Maesknoll

Chris
Staff member
Site Supporter
Modern coaching, doesn’t teach batsmen the basics of defence, which is the foundation of test match batting. And how must Jimmy be feeling……

226A0069-F133-456D-B0F4-A9CA12CFC1D7.png

Arry

Site Supporter
Its a poor state of affairs when we can't get a decent uninjured, in-form, team ready for the biggest test series on the cricket calendar... our selectors, captain and coach need to have a good long look at the young players available, and stop playing the same old same old bunch of niggle carrying, out of nick players...

Arry

Site Supporter
I honestly think that there is too much emphasis on limited overs cricket, the players are taught to go hell for leather from ball one and have lost the art of the forward/backward defensive and the leave... the majority of our wickets have gone to poor shot selection... rather than rip snorter bowling from the shackle-draggers... we need to get away from games like "The Hundred" (my views on that format are well known) and T20... get our players more in tune with the 4/5 day game, more forethought and less crash bang wallop