The Ashes

Reuben

Site Supporter
As I said - they never should have gone in the first place. A poor team that was poorly prepared with a poor management & captain. I’m pleased to say that I didn’t watch a single ball. England can’t be viewed as a top flight test team anymore on this performance.

Newlease

Site Supporter
I am afraid to say that the England women’s cricket team are following the men’s team in the Ashes series. The batting wasn’t too bad, but the fielding especially the bowling was awful. The Aussie commentators were talking about Sarah Glenn a spin bowler nicknamed Glamour. As she likes to do her nails and makeup. She went for 39 runs in 3 overs. Instead of doing her nails and makeup, she should spend more time in the nets. I am sure Lanning was just batting the ball so as to enable McGrath to get her century in the latter stages. It doesn’t bode well for the women.

Geoff P

The MOGerator
Staff member
Site Supporter
The Australian womens cricket team is the best womens cricket team in the world by a long stretch. England will do well to win one match.

FadingLikeDecay

might as well use this topic...
Glad to see Giles and Silverwood get the sack this week. Hopefully their replacements are the right men for the roles.

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
Silverwood was hamstrung by Giles "rest and rotate" policy... not being able to play your best team its bloody hard to get results... glad to see he walked rather than sacked... think they might try for Jason Gillespie as the new coach... Collingwood is in as interim coach and could get the big job full time if they get a good result in the WI

Robwooly

They also need to park this white ball mentality they have had spending the last two decades trying to find the next Adam Gilchrist, pick the best keeper as catches win matches.

bezzer

Site Supporter
Silverwood was hamstrung by Giles "rest and rotate" policy... not being able to play your best team its bloody hard to get results... glad to see he walked rather than sacked... think they might try for Jason Gillespie as the new coach... Collingwood is in as interim coach and could get the big job full time if they get a good result in the WI
I'd like them to give Gillespie a go. He did a fantastic job with Yorkshire.

FadingLikeDecay

glad to see he walked rather than sacked...
Every newspaper and website I've read is stating he was sacked. It was also his choice who played in the Ashes, and he the got selection badly wrong in at least 3 games.

Gillespie would be a good choice but Gary Kirsten would also be worth considering.

The BBC is also reporting that Root is staying on as captain, not a good decision IMHO.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
They both had to go as some of the rotations and general selections were absolutely insane.

Not sure how much say root got in selection but if he did get quite a big say then he should go as well. If he didn’t then he can improve on his captaincy especially if he gets the players he wants but if he was involved in selection then he really is clueless. That said there isn’t a single viable alternative so basically has to stay either way.

FadingLikeDecay

That said there isn’t a single viable alternative so basically has to stay either way.
Some journalists were quite keen for Broad to be made captain. I'm not sure how that would go, given he hasn't been a constant fixture in the team and his batting is atrocious.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Some journalists were quite keen for Broad to be made captain. I'm not sure how that would go, given he hasn't been a constant fixture in the team and his batting is atrocious.
Probably could be a decent captain but far from assured of his place and would be very short term. I’d say only root, stokes, Anderson and Robinson are assured of their places. Maybe bairstow after that hundred if he gets the gloves back.

I think end of this summer will be the end of Anderson and broad tbh as would give Anderson the chance to go out on top at home while still the best rather than potentially push it a year too far and for broad it’s probably the last year where he’d still play most games.