The Angle when you Dangle ?

Team KDB

I think the reason behind the top boy’s pointing directly at the feeder is that they are trying to appear innovative and keep themselves in the angling media and therefore appearing different from the masses.My feeder work is 45 degree and slight tension on the tip.

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
I think in some cases it has to do with fishing to a line clip, seem to recall watching Des Shipp on a Preston video who was hitting the clip and dropping his rod straight. In some ways if your tight to a feature I can see a logic as the fish can only run right / left still maintaining a 90 deg between tip and line pull.....that said I can't bring myself to do it.
This is spot on 👍

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
As above, more accurate casting to the feature with the line clipped up, not having to calculate how much slack to leave or for the wind to catch the line and move the feeder.
Cast straight at the island/feature, lower the rod tip as the clip comes into play, set the rod down and watch the slack line for movement.
Once the slack line starts to move you know your tip is going to follow.

G0zzer2

Site Supporter
That is exactly right. There are times, when casting directly to a feature, when it's easier to cast directly to the clip and lay the rod straight down. But it does entail being able to cast without hitting the clip too hard. Not easy.

rudd

Site Supporter
This surely depends on venue, method and species sought?

Carp/Tench/Bream - method, doesnt really matter as they.self hook and smash tip round.

Maggot feeder for stillwater silvers in ice cold conditions - 30 to 45 degress if facing forward but if I can may have rod at almost 90 deg along bank - why?
I will be fishing 1/4 oz tip with slack line - alot of bites are just a movement on the line and tip does not move.
Having rod.almost parallel to bank means I can see the bow in the line much easier than when out at 30-45deg

RedhillPhil

Computers verified, riots quelled, wars started.
Site Supporter
Certainly whether I'm using a quiver tip or just the rod tip the logical thing to me is to put the rod at a flat angle - that is to say the rod as parallel to the water surface as I can get it - and then mount the rod at 60-90 degrees to the weight with just enough tension on the tip to get the best possible indication of interest. For me this ensure that I can see the tiniest of movements and, if a whopper lunges the tip will absorb the lunge rather than the entire set-up being pulled in (I've seen it happen).

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter
Nick Speed does it slightly different, he casts to the feature then pulls his rod back before the line hits the clip.
This gives a few turns on the reel as a buffer...

Perfect casting , i like the way he hits his shoulder with the rod to hit the clip , great fisherman

G0zzer2

Site Supporter
Nick Speed does it slightly different, he casts to the feature then pulls his rod back before the line hits the clip.
This gives a few turns on the reel as a buffer...

That's fine in theory, but there have been times at Decoy when it has been necessary for anglers to cast 50 yards TO WITHIN TWO OR THREE INCHES into a tiny gap opposite, and I don't think that would be possible feathering; you'd have to have the rod in exactly the same place, at exactly the same angle, each time when you hit the clip.

Markywhizz

Clueless member
Site Supporter
I’m in the 45 degree camp unless I’m on a really tight peg between bushes or other obstructions. You can still see small nudges with the rod straight out but I like my rod to cushion the take. I guess it makes sense though for fishing to islands or the far bank clipped up.

dave brittain 1

I must be one of the few who likes to be 45 degree plus. Bearing in mind most carp waters are shallow I'll cast and pull the rod back over my left shoulder and wait for the line to hit the clip before putting the rod in the rest, before slowly tightening up. I've got at least 2 or 3 turns on the reel giving me that bit of cushion. It's the way I've always done it and I'm comfortable with it.

The only benefit I can see of fishing straight is your not sitting twisted so on that basis I may have to have a think about how I position myself as sitting side on may be a contributing factor to my bad back.

OldTaff

Site Supporter
I’ve been fishing the method the same way I was taught bomb & cage, tip at 30 - 40 degrees to the feeder. This is on a carp only lake and I’ve not had a break yet other than when I was too slow & the fish got me into snags.

I don’t get the straight out rod thing either.

G0zzer2

Site Supporter
dave - I think almost everyone prefers a 30-45 degree angle ( I do); but there are times, as I have posted above, when that is not possible because of the accuracy required. I'm not that accurate!

Nunachuk

Nunachuk
Site Supporter
I'm also inthe 30 degree camp, bottom line for me is, if it feels right, (therefore you have more confidence) do what suits you! Tight lines!